StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me that the $100 or so for a permanent/cleanable oil filter would pay for itself before long... and the PC Racing company claims that theirs filters particles three times smaller than paper filters do. Also, theirs seems to have a very serious magnet inside. I also like the hole for a safety wire... and yeah, it looks cool. Anyone have thoughts about how well they function, etc.? I'm seriously thinking about buying one. Thanks!

·
Administrator
17,213 Posts
Now way....filters are too cheap for my peace of mind.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I used to send stainless mesh hydraulic filters out for ultrasonic cleaning. I don't know how one would be effectively cleaned otherwise. When cleaning you absolutely do not want to get any of the particles on the other side of the mesh where it'll be carried into the engine.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
I never really cared for them (never used one)........seems like alot of trouble to clean it.......I'd rather just chunk the dirt with the old filter. If it cleans particles 3X smaller than paper elements, would it restrict "flow" of the oil as well?? I don't know........just axing.

BTW.......I remember many years ago when J.C.Whitney offered a similar oil canister that would allow the owner to slide a full roll of toilet paper in there to act as a filter element!! I always wondered what happened when you got down to the last sheet on the roll............:biggrinjester:
The following page in the Whitney catalog was full of "Engine Rebuild Kits"..............!!!!

·
Registered
22,310 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
oil canister that would allow the owner to slide a full roll of toilet paper in there to act as a filter element!!
These are the Frantz oil filter which does a great job. These are bypass filters which take 10% or less of the output of the oil pump, filter it deeply, and return the cleaned oil to the sump. These filter much better than the full flow filter, but the flow resistance and limited flow rate don't allow them to be in full flow service. The oil flows through the toilet paper roll endwise, not through the surface of the sheets. It does a fine job, but has limited capacity and must be changed every 2000 to 3000 miles, plus new oil added to make up for what was soaked into the roll. Because the oil pump puts out excess oil when running at normal speed, and the pump's internal oil pressure control valve bleeds this excess oil back into the sump, the bypass filter does not rob oil from the engine. Oil filtered through a bypass filter is so clean that it can be used in the engine for many tens of thousands of miles. The make-up oil added at each filter change replenishes the essential additives in the oil.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If I am going to be riding my 950KTm off road then I run a SS oil filter , just in case I sink my bike in a river crossing. Paper filters can be destroyed if water goes through it so I run the ss filter with that in mind. When the off highway ride is over I change back out to the standard filter. (you do not want to know how we came to know this, it was expensive and we usually remember expensive----it just was not my bike that got screwed up):jawdrop:

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'd think cleaning it would be a big drawback. Personally, if I paid $100 for an oil filter I'd expect to never have to clean it. Disposable filters don't cost anything to throw in the trash.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Of all the things that kill bikes, oil filtration is down there with Yeti attacks.

Use good-quality disposable oil filters and find something more productive to worry about.

Given the expense, and the attendant time, mess, and expense of cleaning the re-usable filter, it just doesn't work out.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Of all the things that kill bikes, oil filtration is down there with Yeti attacks.

I disagree entirely. Twice last year my bike was vandalized by a yeti ... Way more often than filter problems ...

It depends where you live I guess ...

:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
394 Posts
The great northern corn yeti. Poses a severe risk to Illinois ethanol production.

They live in the corn fields and are significantly shorter than the mountain variety. Their tracks are usually covered over during harvesting so they are hard to track.
Surprised you haven't heard about them.

Sent from my droid.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Do you really WANT to spend the time to even bother with cleaning an oil filter? Seems like it would be a dreadful task. Like trying to get the last bit of peanut butter out of the jar - you never will!

Disposable oil filters are convenient, and hassle free......that's worth a lot to me. I just bought two K+N [hold the flames, you keepers of oil particle charts] for $10 each from Bikebandit [had a special]..........I'm all about the easy!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate all of the thoughts. I've been paying $12 (plus tax) each for disposable filters. I use one every six weeks, which means that one year will be the break even point. My Wee will be with me until I have to push it... so it's a long term relationship. I feel that removing the filter and letting it sit and drain before unscrewing the stainless element should make things pretty easy. Then, I'll soak it in white gas... dry it, and re-install it. I don't think that this will be too messy or labor intensive... BUT I could be wrong! The pros are that it filters three times better than paper... it works even when wet... has a connection for safety wire... it's green by keeping disposables out of landfills... and it will pay for itself in a year. There's only one way to find out if I'll like it! And if it doesn't work out in the end, I'll clean it up and put it on eBay.

In any case, I'll post my feelings here as soon as I get some experience with it. It was supposed to be delivered today, but the UPS driver got lazy and logged that he couldn't find my house.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I've been paying $12 (plus tax) each for disposable filters. I use one every six weeks,
??? They're good for 10,000 miles each. HiFlo or Purolator filters cost less. WIX (NAPA) filters are $6 each from fleetfilter.com---buy a year's worth of filters for the family fleet to spread the shipping costs out.

I'm not sure how a soak in a solvent will remove all the particles or ensure that none of the particles end up on the clean side of the filter. I think the claim about superior filtration is bogus---PC Racing Flo claims filtration down to 35 microns; WIX says their's filters down to 21 microns, and WIX is about average.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
You just blow the filter out so the particles go out the way they came at the filter........

On second thought, most big-rigs have reusable lifetime oil filters......Might not be a bad idea after all - if you don't mind paying A LOT initially, for an oil filter.....

Then again - I don't need to change my oil filter every six weeks [extrapolate that, I wonder if he cleans his air filter every 3 days?]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You just blow the filter out so the particles go out the way they came at the filter........

On second thought, most big-rigs have reusable lifetime oil filters......Might not be a bad idea after all - if you don't mind paying A LOT initially, for an oil filter.....

Then again - I don't need to change my oil filter every six weeks [extrapolate that, I wonder if he cleans his air filter every 3 days?]
Interesting point about the big-rigs. And I understand that these filters can be with us through several bikes because the sales-guy said that almost all spin-on bike filters are the same size. So whatever our next bike is, if it has a spin-on, it should fit. So the cost isn't that much for the long run.

As for cleaning my air filters: my Wee is too new, and hasn't been in the dirt on a dry day (I did some dirt riding, but it had rained a few days before, so there was no dust). I do have two filters for my quad. One is always installed, while the other is drying and getting ready to be oiled and put into action. I'll likely order another air filter for the Wee, so good call on your part. You identified a filter freak!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
And I understand that these filters can be with us through several bikes because the sales-guy said that almost all spin-on bike filters are the same size.
A notable exception being Suzuki. It uses a 1mm thread pitch where most others use a 1.5mm thread pitch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
A notable exception being Suzuki. It uses a 1mm thread pitch where most others use a 1.5mm thread pitch.
Thanks, Pat. That's good to know. I guess I should say: "can be with us through several *Suzuki* bikes." I was a Honda guy for a couple of decades, and I might just be a Suzuki guy for the next couple. That is... if I want to keep the same oil filter, and recoup my $104 :) UPS is going to *try* again to deliver it today.

~~ Hey, Pat... forgive me for referring to you as "John." I had just gotten off of the phone with my cousin John before posting this message. ~~

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
I was surprised to find out that the same company that makes those highly regarded 'Scots Steering Dampers', also makes a serviceable oil filter(s)......spendy at $139 (retail), but this thread has gotz me a' thinkin'.

But, not until I use up my stockpile of K+N oil filters!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts