StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am going to order and install some stainless steel brake lines on the front calipers of the Strom. Wondering who has done it already, which brand you purchased, and what you think of them. Please advise.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I did them. Galfer brand from Ebay, got a kit with two front lines, a rear line, and a clutch line for about $160 I believe. I did it very early because I didn't like the brake feel much on the Strom stock. I love the upgrade, money very well spent. I've felt stock Strom brakes since doing the lines and the difference is immediately noticable. I plan to upgrade the pads this season as well.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good feedback, thanks. I am leaning towards the Galfer lines myself, along with EBC HH pads. Any issues with install / alignment / fitment of the Galfer lines?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a set of Galfers on my Hawk GT. The front is noticable, the back, honestly, isn't worth it.

I'll probably put a front one on the Strom when it's due for a brake fluid change. I won't go through the hassle of bleeding the brakes just to change the hose.

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
i've got a two-line galfer setup on mine. do not notice much difference at all. i'm hoping better pads will do the trick ... but i have to wonder if the steel lines would make any difference, if you are going to go to a better pad.

another downside of the galfer ... i believe they are a bit shorter than the one-line stock setup. so less room to play with handlebar ergos.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Galfer users - was there any issue with line twist, or anything installation related for that matter?

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
i've got a two-line galfer setup on mine. do not notice much difference at all. i'm hoping better pads will do the trick ... but i have to wonder if the steel lines would make any difference, if you are going to go to a better pad.

another downside of the galfer ... i believe they are a bit shorter than the one-line stock setup. so less room to play with handlebar ergos.
Interesting. Spiegler has the option to order longer lengths, if desired. I bought them +2" to go with my revised bars and the fit perfectly.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm a bit surprised at the consensus here. It seems pads are more important than heftier brake lines and that steel brake lines do not improve feel dramatically.

I was hoping to improve the feel of my brakes so I guess I'll change to the better pads and forget the brake lines. Anything else one can do besides pads and brake lines? Anyone try changing the Master Cylinder?

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have Galfer but not installed yet. I special ordered them 3" longer to fit my Universal Solex bars.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't have them on my Strom, but I did install Galfers on my wife's old KLR. Huge improvement over the old, worn stock rubber lines.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Pads improved the braking power, lines improved the feel.

Don't be fooled, you can certainly lock the front wheel with the stock brakes (not breaks :rolleyes:). The HH pads have a higher coefficient of friction so they give more stopping force for a given lever squeeze. The steel lines take away any spongy feeling you get with the stock, rubber, lines.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Don't be fooled, you can certainly lock the front wheel with the stock brakes (not breaks :rolleyes:). The HH pads have a higher coefficient of friction so they give more stopping force for a given lever squeeze. The steel lines take away any spongy feeling you get with the stock, rubber, lines.
I could'nt have said it better myself, so I did'nt.:)

I replaced the lines and the pads (Galfer+1's & HH's) at the same time, worth every penny IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts

i honestly could not tell any difference in feel or power. but it might be explained by the fact that my bike was pretty new when i changed it ... the rubber lines were still fresh. my front brakes were disappointing before and they are disappointing now. when the pads wear out i'll upgrade 'em. hopefully that will help.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
thanks dudes

I thought my brakes were great til this thread came along. Now I feel fade and weak pad grip. I hope you're happy you farkle happy suggesters!

·
Registered
615 Posts
i honestly could not tell any difference in feel or power. but it might be explained by the fact that my bike was pretty new when i changed it ... the rubber lines were still fresh. my front brakes were disappointing before and they are disappointing now. when the pads wear out i'll upgrade 'em. hopefully that will help.
Amen Brother Gary.

I sure am glad I have ABS because otherwise the performance of the brakes is the thing I least like about my Strom. Because I find the brakes wanting and have ABS, I drive the brakes to a lot more of their capacity than I might otherwise.

I will be working on them to see what I can improve. I'm thinking pads, brake lines and maybe a better master cylinder. But I don't know about modifying brakes, so I have no idea how things will go.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought my brakes were great til this thread came along. Now I feel fade and weak pad grip. I hope you're happy you farkle happy suggesters!
That's kinda what happened to me. It had been a couple years off a bike when I got the strom, so I had nothing to compare. I rode my buddies' bikes last fall and felt immediate performance difference in the brakes.

I agree that you can lock up the front wheel with the stock setup, but the feel sucks. I can squeeze my front brake lever all the way to the grip way too easily.

The rear I will probably leave alone.

·
Registered
725 Posts
i honestly could not tell any difference in feel or power. but it might be explained by the fact that my bike was pretty new when i changed it ... the rubber lines were still fresh.
Actually, that's probably the fairest way to compare the two. I suspect that oftentimes a lot of the percieved improvement an upgrade makes (any upgrade) is simply from replacing a worn-out component with a fresh one. Unless you're swapping out a fairly fresh part, you aren't really comparing like with like.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts