StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's peoples opinion of the wee when its at high speed. I'm talking 100mph+. Has anyone encounted any vibration or shaking issues.
Does a better screen make any differance. I have the stock windshield set to the highest position. I am not that happy with the buffeting and feel of the bike at this speed. I don't ride everyday at this speed but long highway trips are really tiring.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Top speed is only 114.5 :roll: The bike will get to 100mph no problem but I don't know if I'd want to spend a lot of time at that speed and aove

steve tech said:
What's peoples opinion of the wee when its at high speed. I'm talking 100mph+. Has anyone encounted any vibration or shaking issues.
Does a better screen make any differance. I have the stock windshield set to the highest position. I am not that happy with the buffeting and feel of the bike at this speed. I don't ride everyday at this speed but long highway trips are really tiring.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I have the Big 03 DL1000 with a 27" tall custom windshield & Russell daylong tall saddle and stability is perfect at even very Extra high Freeway speeds!!

With or without all the factory luggage and passenger.........

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
With the Manta mounted (lowest position) and the HTs installed my 6Fiddy doesn't have any "issues" at 100mph+ speeds. Night_Wolf you musta got a slow(er) blue one, I've had mine (Etrex verified) a bit faster than your 114.5 (without the HTs).

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've had mine over 100 (indicated) several times. The only thing that made me nervous was the thought of a performace award, no excessive vibration or instability at all.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've just encountered the dreadful buffeting at that speed, best to tuck down a bit behind the fairing. Not safe to stay there for too long but thrilling none the less (for a brief moment) on a good weather day, highway, with no traffic, animals, or people out and about. The bike is very steady. My 1981 550 Yamaha Seca would develop a wobble in the steering at high speed - scary, because the tighter you held on the worse it would get, had to do the opposite and relax your grip.

But who travels at 100 MPH on any bike regularily for prolonged periods of time on public roads? Not very many people I would think.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Strom-meister said:
But who travels at 100 MPH on any bike regularily for prolonged periods of time on public roads? Not very many people I would think.
There are still some "places" that accomodate higher(er) speed cruising!

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Well, Stockton is just a little over 2,600 miles from my place. I think I need to do some searching closer to home.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I only used Stockton so I would have a reference point in MapQuest. I've driven the PCH a couple of times in a car. Sure would be nice to do it on a bike some day.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Highway 1 from Monterey to Morro Bay is a blast on a bike!

I'm not a Strommer yet :roll: , but I've done it quite spiritedly on my ST1300. Give it a try! --Gene

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Compared To What, you hit DOUBLE digits around 89/Emerald Bay and you'll draw attention from Mark, Chris, PJ, Dezzy, or whoever is on patrol... b/c they'll think your Stromette! (a Strom is a Strom from afar ya know) :lol:

Whoever posted they don't know where to cruise at triple digits for extended period of times hasn't been to AZ. Speed limit is posted 75, if you're doing less than 90 you'll feel like you're going backwards as cagers, trucks, cows, whatever, pass you. Long stretches on I-10 and I-8 from CA line are WOT. Some people call it boring. I call it Busa country. Anywho, back on topic, specifically addressing the question a/b instablility at higher speeds... what tires you running? Hard cases? Windscreen? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Strom is stable at high(er) speeds w/mods b/c it's not. It's just less unstable, if that makes sense. Plus, it depends on what you consider "high" speed. I don't feel comfortable above 115 on my DL1K, that's just warming up range on a Busa or Blackbird. Oh, and if you're wondering "how many tickets has this chick had" I'll tell you: ZERO. And I put in lots of miles a year. :p

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
STrider said:
Highway 1 from Monterey to Morro Bay is a blast on a bike! Give it a try! --Gene
Stromette will be on this road 3rd wk of June. Look forward to it! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Life in AZ and the Fast lane

I agree with Stromette, here in AZ on I-10 if you’re not doing 85-90 mph you are an obstacle to be dodged, and the cagers and not particular about how close they get to ya!! :shock:

I do run my 021k WOT when I’m trying to stay in the same area code as my buddies who ride Gixers, BMW K1200, and SV1000. The fastest I have seen on my GPS is 125 and I’ve had no problems at all with the stability. I have shocked a more than one person that the my Strom get down the road so well!!! We do ride on roads that are in the back country so traffic is not much of a problem. 8)

I am running a Power Commander and I stock wind screen cut down 2 inches with a NASCAR style vent cut in. I have gone to a smaller front sprocket and have lost about 4 mph on the top end. I do enjoy the better performance with the lower gear. I do run Bridgestone’s 020 tires. :mrgreen:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts