StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A trip to Saint Augustine was brought up during the Flamingo, Key West trip. Im now posting to gauge interest in a trip to Favor Dykes State Park or Anastasia State Park I have checked the parks and found that Favor Dykes is considerably less expensive but about 15 miles south of St. Augustine. Any one interested in this trip either pm,or email me at [email protected]. Probably will set the trip for the Martin Luther King weekend arriving on Saturday and returning Monday. As before this is an open trip.. Im also considering going up 19 to 316 and then taking the ferry across the Saint Johns river just north of Lake George. Might be a cool route. Let me know. Curt

·
Registered
776 Posts
Ok You twisted my arm

Sounds like a good time Curt. I cannot take time off right now, but I will power ride it for a couple days. I will plan for camping or the equivalent on the 16th. The online reservations appeared to be full though. Are we planning a ride in North Florida on one of those days? There is lots of nice riding in the Ocala area anyhow. Ok can't wait for this trip!

Clem

·
Registered
69 Posts
oh, to be in Florida in January . . . *sigh*

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I'm in the Orlando area and would love to meet up somewhere around Mount Dora to ride on to St. Augustine. I don't normal have off on MLK Monday and may have to ride home on Sunday but I've wanted to meet some of the Florida Stromtroopers and the route through the Ocala National Forest looks great.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Just a heads up. Camping is 42.00 per night( inc tax), and I find motels at 56.00 per night (inc tax) Seems like it's a motel for me. It's worth 14.00 for a hot shower. Super 8 or Ramada limited both the same same.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Rates at Faver-Dykes are better.

Here's info from http://www.floridastateparks.org/faver-dykes/default.cfm

Park Fees

Admission Fee:

$5.00 per vehicle. Please use the honor box to pay fees. Correct change is required. Limit 2-8 people per vehicle.

$4.00 Single Occupant Vehicle.

Camping Fee:

$18.00 per night, plus tax. Florida residents who are 65 years of age or older are permitted to receive a 50 percent discount on current base campsite fees.

Full Facility Camping
Faver-Dykes State Park has thirty (30) campsites. Each campsite has water, electricity, in-ground fire circle with a grill and a picnic table. There are hot showers and restrooms for your use. The sites are located in a shady hardwood hammock and natural vegetation buffers are located between most of the sites. Reservations can be made by calling our Reservation Center at 1-800-326-3521.

Both Curtis and I are over 65, so I think each of us can get a campsite for $9 per night. I did not find regulations concerning how many bikes may share a campsite, but if a campsite can hold one car with a trailer, surely it can hold two bikes.

For eight campers, that means eight entries @ $4 plus two campsites @ $9 plus two campsites @ $18, total $88, plus tax. That's about twelve dollars per camper, including electricity and hot showers.

The other nearby State Park is Anastasia, where Curtis found higher rates, but I understand he did not find a Russian princess ... or if he did, he ain't tellin'. :mrgreen:

Keith

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
saint Augustine

I found the same info as Keith found but according to the online reservation form both parks are fully booked. I looked into a general search and found that KOA Saint Augustine Beach had sites at the 41.00 that Clem quoted. He has a 10% discount card for KOA, hence the 41.00. I'm only one person,I'll leave the decision up to every one. Curt

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Forced not to endure the cold?

I suspect the current chilly weather may last a while. If motels are not much more costly than tents, let's stay warm. I will visit a McDonald's and look for a booklet of motel discount coupons, and report on my findings.

I put on some winter gear yesterday, and had a brief ride in the late evening, with the temperature near 40º. I was comfortable, but my open-face helmet is a distinct source of discomfort at that temperature. Well, that's tough, but not very, and I can manage it. I rode from Escanaba MI to St. Ignace in the UP in the same weather, and enjoyed it.

Keith

PS twelve hours later: I have the booklets and some coupons. If the motels honor the coupons, we can get a room for two for about $50. That is the Saturday night rate; the rate for Sunday night may be a tad less. Please bear in mind that not every motel honours the coupons, so we should be ready to pay up to $70, I suppose.

I will call a few of the motels and report on what they say about coupons.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have not heard from Curt yet. It looks like a 70% chance of rain for Saturday eve and Sunday. I am willing to ride, but would rather not in the rain. Maybe put it off a week or two?

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
What a clever idea!

I have not heard from Curt yet. It looks like a 70% chance of rain for Saturday eve and Sunday. I am willing to ride, but would rather not in the rain. Maybe put it off a week or two?
I agree that rescheduling is more to my taste than a weekend in the saddle and in rain. I have some commitments for some of the succeeding weekends, but they are my problem and not yours.

Brendan will be visiting "toward the end of February", which probably means Saturday Feb 20 or Feb 27, so let's steer clear of those dates.

Keith

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
St augustine

I think it is a good idea to put it off. the rainstorm predicted for Saturday and Sunday dont sound good. Also i have family coming down from upstate NY that I have to meet in Ocala Friday nite. Im still going to ride but only going to Ocala means that I can time my travel a bit better. Im going up Friday evening and then coming back when i can get about 2 hours of clear time. Sometimes one has to juggle a bit when he is a full time rider[no cage] Curt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts