1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I use the squeeze bottles away from home on trips. At home, I use the spray cans with a Kettenmax. If I didn't have the Kettenmax. I'd probably use the squeeze bottles all the time.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I have no problems using spray on chain lube.... I have also mastered whip cream and spay paint too... :mrgreen: I get 95% of it on the chain....

·
Registered
157 Posts
I use the squeeze bottles away from home on trips. At home, I use the spray cans with a Kettenmax. If I didn't have the Kettenmax. I'd probably use the squeeze bottles all the time.
Wow, Kettenmax is a pretty sweet tool. I've never seen it before (used a simpler tool during my MTB days), but I'm a little tired of the mess I make when cleaning and lubing the chain the old fashion way.

Thanks for posting about it GW.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
great stuff

I use this lube exclusively because it's cheap and works well. No overspray during application and the film left doesn't collect dirt. One bottle will last me longer than a 10,000km. For anyone who has had a spray can dump its contents inside a loaded topcase these small easy to pack squirt bottles area big improvement.

·
Administrator
17,218 Posts
They are both of a different composition, the spray is wax-like where the liquid obviously isnt. I use the spray on my dirtbike chain, use the lube for my firearms and everything else.:yesnod:

·
38,104 Posts
It's the same stuff. Both are liquids that dry when the carrier evaporates.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Can you get the squeeze bottle at a bricks and mortar retailer?

·
38,104 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,497 Posts
Can you get the squeeze bottle at a bricks and mortar retailer?
I have found it at Ace Hardware from time to time. My local store doesn't stock the squeeze bottle on a regular basis, though they have offered to order it for me. You might inquire at your local store.

·
38,104 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I have found it at Ace Hardware from time to time. My local store doesn't stock the squeeze bottle on a regular basis, though they have offered to order it for me. You might inquire at your local store.
Thanks, just got back from across the street from my local and very well stocked ACE, but didn't think to stop in for a look-see.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, re-worked long story short: the squeeze bottle IS safe for o-rings, but is not quite the same as the yellow can of dupont chain lube with teflon... dries a bit more "dry", it seems. Good to know.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Question...

I have been using the Teflon Multi-Lube spray can stuff that we all get from our local home improvement store, it seems to be popular. I am wondering if I can simply empty all the contents into a squeeze bottle and use it that way instead. I don't really care for the shake-and-spray apply method, as it gets a bit messy and sh!t goes everywhere. Lots of waste it seems. So, is there any reason this won't work properly? Does the Teflon lube somehow change chemically once it is sprayed from the bottle? I wouldn't think so, but you guys are much smarter.

·
38,104 Posts
I am wondering if I can simply empty all the contents into a squeeze bottle and use it that way instead.
You would need to find a bottle that would accept the straw but then get a spout with a tiny hole which would then have an air tight cover. If the volatile carrier is allowed to evaporate, the contents would be useless. A squeeze bottle has to be shaken before application too for the Teflon to be properly suspended.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
You would need to find a bottle that would accept the straw but then get a spout with a tiny hole which would then have an air tight cover. If the volatile carrier is allowed to evaporate, the contents would be useless. A squeeze bottle has to be shaken before application too for the Teflon to be properly suspended.
Like this:

·
38,104 Posts
Like this:
I imagine that is something you've done before. It looks like the bottle would be pressurized internally almost immediately and the liquid would just ease down the tube by gravity and it would take a while as air would have to also work its way up. Is that how it works or is the system not air tight? In any case, I've never seen anything like that.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I imagine that is something you've done before. It looks like the bottle would be pressurized internally almost immediately and the liquid would just ease down the tube by gravity and it would take a while as air would have to also work its way up. Is that how it works or is the system not air tight? In any case, I've never seen anything like that.
I have not done this.

I usually keep a 10% solution of denature alcohol in the little red bottle for cleaning LP's and plexiglas.

I think what I'll do is to loosen the cap on the red squeeze bottle to let the gas escape as I spray the lube into the red squeeze bottle. I'll let you know how it works, or doesn't.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts