StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that long ago, someone suggested turning your sprocket around could extend it's life, my comment was, when I am done with a sprocket, turning it around would be pointless...

Here is my rendition of Time for a new Sprocket.

:yikes:

this is what I call getting your money's worth.....:beatnik:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and Props again to Blair, got the new one Monday thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
'Twas I

I reported using a rear sprocket 22000 miles in one direction, and then 22000 miles in the opposite direction (with some washers to restore the alignment). I do not think this idea is appropriate for my front sprocket.

I am convinced this tactic saves me money. Of course, we all ride in different ways, and have our individual methods of maintaining chains. So of course this action is not for everybody.

When your rear sprocket is totally worn out,
it is still very useful as a gong. Understand,
it takes a LONG time to wear out a gong.

Keith

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How many miles did you get out of the old sprocket shown????????
This sprocket is a 530 / 45 and it has about 45,000 km's on it. I do not get great life out of my chains due to the fact I ride in snow, salt, rain, mud, dirt, and rocks..... but it is half as much again as I was getting from the 525 Chains...

In fairness, when I switched to the 45 tooth rear, the adjustment started just back of the mid point, as the chain wore, I ran out of adjustment space. The cold made me put off in Dec, removing a link and sliding the wheel forward.
There was way to much slack, and I spun the chain, if I had corrected the adjustment space earlier, there is a good chance I would have got more life out of it...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yikes!

I have had a chain pop off my rear sprocket before...scary experience. I can't imagine running that sprocket in that condition.

·
Registered
304 Posts
This sprocket is a 530 / 45 and it has about 45,000 km's on it.
27,000 miles. I got about 20,000 out of my last chain and sprocket combo (16/45). Doing 17/47 this time, I just like the extra torque on road and off. But I clean my chain a lot since failure is not an option. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Wow I'm lucky to get 12,000 miles (about 8 months) out of a set !!!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
148 Posts
Man, it looks like you got just about all the good out of that one:)

I do try to wear my tires as far as I can. When I'm getting close, the bike goes on local service only until the tires are GONE. My last chain/sprocket set up got me home, but just barely. I just knew I had a few thousand left in it, limped home on a trip by tightening the chain every gas stop....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts