StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to search out the answer but my ADD wouldn't let me look very long. I've noticed that when descending on fire roads or gravel, the bike gains way more speed than I want. Thus I'm trailing the brake to slow it down which has led to some motox feeling slides in turns. I'd like to gear it down some with new sprockets but am not really sure of the right combo.

This is a toy not a commuter so I don't care about the effects on gas mileage. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best F/R sprocket combo to achieve this?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
If downshifting isn't enough, drop a tooth on the counter sprocket.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Are your tires suitable for your riding surfaces?

Is the bike really rolling too fast in 2nd or 1st gear? Are you applying some front brake to match the engine braking of the rear wheel?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Are your tires suitable for your riding surfaces?

Is the bike really rolling too fast in 2nd or 1st gear? Are you applying some front brake to match the engine braking of the rear wheel?
I run dualsport tires although like most ds tires I suppose they're a little more street biased. Yeah, 1st gear too fast, closes on bike ahead way too fast. 2nd gear is fuggitaboutit!

If downshifting isn't enough, drop a tooth on the counter sprocket.
Sounds good. Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Stock countersprocket is 15 teeth. Try 14. Chain is 525.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I went to 14 tooth counter sprocket and there was virtually no change in my mileage. I really like the ride and I am now using all six gears. Previously, I almost never used sixth gear. I usually ride between 55mph and 60mph, so I don't miss any of that top end speed that some people use.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tried to search out the answer but my ADD wouldn't let me look very long. I've noticed that when descending on fire roads or gravel, the bike gains way more speed than I want. Thus I'm trailing the brake to slow it down which has led to some motox feeling slides in turns. I'd like to gear it down some with new sprockets but am not really sure of the right combo.

This is a toy not a commuter so I don't care about the effects on gas mileage. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best F/R sprocket combo to achieve this?
I ride a lot of forestry roads as well, have tried several combos. A 14-47 does good but I wanted more tractoring effect, so I went with a Vortex 54 rear and used my trade to build a 13 for the front. 1st and 2nd worked out well for decellerating down steep gravel grades while still giving me awesome bottom end power for the real tough stuff.

·
Vendor
5,008 Posts
I run dualsport tires although like most ds tires I suppose they're a little more street biased. Yeah, 1st gear too fast, closes on bike ahead way too fast. 2nd gear is fuggitaboutit
:) Hi, I know what you mean about closing in too quick and wished you could lug along at a slower speed, I was just out and thinking the same thing myself this past weekend.

I've got all the front counter shaft sprockets in stock here if you like,

Email me at [email protected] and I will be happy to help you out,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

1 - 9 of 9 Posts