StromTrooper banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for either camp...wee or vee. My brother tried a sprocket change on my Vee years ago and went down 1 tooth in the front. I hate going smaller on the counter sprocket for wear reasons and want to go up on the rear.

Question is...he said the chain adjustment was messed up with a 1 tooth change. He lost chain adjustment space at the axle.

So, should I make my rear sprocket changes in 2 tooth increments so the wheel won't need to be closer to the engine than the stock set up? Am I making any sense here?

I am considering going 2 larger in back. Yes, I want to gear down slightly.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I'm surprised going down one tooth in front went beyond the adjustment range. Maybe the chain was worn. Your profile says you have a DL1000. Adding two teeth on the rear will require a 114 link chain. Dropping one tooth in front while going up two teeth in the rear can use the stock 112 tooth chain. That may be one reason why a 16/43 change from the stock 17/41 is so popular.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure GW. I may be overthinking this but here goes my thought.

If you change only 1 tooth your new chain will either need to remain the same number of links or be shorthend or legthened a full link (ie 2 teeth worth).

He went down one on the CS. The wheel was either too far back with the stock chain (now 1/2 link too long) and too far forward with an extra entire link removed. He was working with a new chain and sprockets. He said a 1/2 link was needed for proper wheel postion.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I've never seen any Strom rider report a need for a half link. Stroms have plenty of chain adjustment travel.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I've never seen any Strom rider report a need for a half link. Stroms have plenty of chain adjustment travel.
Ditto.

Where the heck would you even find a half link for an o-ring chain? :confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts