StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched, but apparently my google-fu skillz are lacking this morning... Does anyone have a part number for the OEM sprocket carrier bearing? From there I know my local bearing house can cross it to a double-sealed one.

Thanks!

ETA: I should have been more clear: I'm looking for a manufacturer and part number off the actual bearing that's in the assembly, not the OEM number from the OEM parts diagrams. Suzuki doesn't make their own bearings, so I would expect to find an INA, SKF, Timken, FAG, or some other manufacturer's logo and part numbers etched into the OEM bearing...

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Find a local bearing house

Take the bearing there and let them measure it

get it replaced by a new DOUBLE sealed unit hopefully NOT out of China.

I also like GREEN loctite that goes around the OUTER race to support it in the housing. Bearings that are poorly designed like this do get support from the assembly they are in

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Size: 32x65x17mm
Suzuki #: 09262-32007
Common #: 62/32-2RS

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Bearing supply houses typically cannot cross reference to manufacturer's part numbers. They can easily measure an old bearing or seal and pull one off the shelf that matches.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bearing supply houses typically cannot cross reference to manufacturer's part numbers. They can easily measure an old bearing or seal and pull one off the shelf that matches.
I know that. I'm trying to amass the parts ahead of time. Removing the bearing and taking it to the bearing supplier means I can't ride it. Suzuki does not make their own bearings, and I figured somebody that has removed the bearing must have found a manufacturer and part number laser-etched into one of the races that can be interchanged with another bearing manufacturer's parts. The dimensions are a good starting point though...

Size: 32x65x17mm
Suzuki #: 09262-32007
Common #: 62/32-2RS
Thanks, greywolf. It is a single row ball bearing, correct? Would you happen to know if it's a straight-contact bearing or an angular-contact bearing? I would think it's straight-contact but haven't had mine out yet to see...

·
38,048 Posts
It's a single row bearing, not angular contact.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts

The different suffixes show the various shields and seals available. Shields have a gap sufficient for oil (and dust) to flow through. Resilient seals keep dirt out and factory grease in, and we want two resilient seals, i. e., -2RS. Some bearing makers use different designations for seals that do the same job, but ask for 2RS and you'll get the right thing.

Note that these are open bearings without seals, not what we want, and that these have a groove for a locking ring, also not what we want, but it shows the bearing well. The 62/32 is 65mm OD, 32mm ID, 17mm wide.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the info, guys. Found a place locally that can get them for me... But they want $52.72 for ONE... Seems a little pricey to me... I'm thinking that I can buy 5 seals for the same price and keep the stock one in there at this point. Not exactly thrilled with the idea of spending that kind of money on ONE bearing...

edited:
Maybe my Google=fu skillz aren't so bad... Found 'em: http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/servlet/the-1811/62-fdsh-32-dsh-2RS-Radial-Ball-Bearing/Detail

Looks like about $20 shipped to my door... Still crazy expensive shipping for an $8 bearing though... SOMEbody has got to have a part number, either off the original or off the replacement that I can cross-reference...

·
38,048 Posts
What more do you want? You have the numbers and size.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I regularly deal with three large bearing supply houses for parts and equipment where I work. I'm on a first-name basis with their sales counter folks at all three. (Motion Industries, Bearing Services, and Applied Industrial). I strongly suspect that two of the salespeople have no business working in retail sales for a bearing supplier, but that's another story.

I figured that, given the seeming vast knowledge collective this board has, SOMEbody out there who replaced the bearings and might have taken the time to note the make and part number of either the new or old bearings. I figured, worst case, maybe someone took the old bearing, put it in the new box, and tossed it up on the shelf for a spare part or another project like I tend to do with used-but-not-used-up parts.

All I've asked for is a manufacturer and part number from the old bearing or somebody's replacement bearing (the common number is nice, but not always common across manufacturers). Yeah, the dimensions are nice to know, and I absolutely agree that any competent bearing supply house salesperson should be able to find it, but that's simply not been my experience. I can have all the information in the world about the bearing, but it does me no good if the salespeople are ignorant.

A quick google search for the common number turned up a dozen sources, including Amazon. Hell, if Amazon can get it, I would expect my local bearing supplier to be able to! I'm gonna see if I can get ahold of the field sales rep for us... there's GOT to be a cheaper one available...

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
I don't know $20 delivered sounds ok to me.

I would guess it to be a $12 or 14 bearing alone. Remember the vehicle you drive probably really costs over $0.60 a mile.

This winter I am going to fish eye it to see if I could get a double row with only maybe cutting the spacer. Regardless I will make it a routine PM part swap.

Real Shelby has a good idea where he shimmed with rubber UNDER the cush hub rubbers to help support. There is also some talk that the rubbers have been changed and a new part number is used so perhaps that problem was addressed after a fashion.

·
38,048 Posts
I got a pair of SKF 62/32-2RS bearings from Amazon when I did my wheel bearings. They are much larger and more expensive than the other wheel bearings. The first one may outlast the bike or me but those offered singly were much more than half the price of the pair.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I just ordered the "All balls bearing kit from rocky mountain atv I hope it has all three bearings and seals. I need the carrier bearing also. guess I better check.

·
38,048 Posts
The kit has all the required bearings and seals. I'm not wild about the Chinese bearings though.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm not wild about the Chinese bearings though.
Funny you should mention that, as I mentioned the same thing to a counterman at a bearing house when I was trying to find these locally, He stated that the Chinese bearing were rated for electric motor use and were of a higher quality than the standard rated bearing, and were half the price of the other brands. I kinda figured the price point of the bearing kit was a bit to good to be made anywhere else. guess I'll find out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts