StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked the two local bearing supply houses today for a replacement for the sprocket carrier bearing. Had the old bearing with me, all cleaned up so the numbers were readable. They each measured it, read the numbers, and commented that "those aren't normal numbers". Then they looked up the bearing in their systems.

Shop A said, nearest bearing is in Kentucky, $56.00, a week to deliver it.

Shop B said, nearest bearing is in New Jersey, $73.00, no idea how long it will take to get here.

So much for shopping locally.

What online sources have you used that have provided high quality bearings in a reasonable time without such a high price?

JathkaJoe

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Jath, unless it's an emergency I use oem bearings from the vehicle's manufacturer. MR Cycle shows it for $58.54. Some dealers can do an inventory search and order it in for you from whoever has it for no additional charge. Ive done that quite a few times with my dealer.
MR shows that bearing as Part # 09262-28040
Dimensions listed are" 28mm X 68mm X 20mm.
Your profile doesnt show year of your Vstrom, so I just picked '05.

·
Registered
209 Posts
When I replaced my carrier bearing in August, I ordered from Quality Bearings Online based in the UK. Bit weird, but they were quality NSK bearings.

It was about 27 GBP which was about 35 USD including shipping. And it shipped from the UK to Sioux Falls SD about a day. Which is nuts. DHL rocks.

Been using that bearing for nearly 3000 miles and still smooth. So I can vouch for them.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts
I got mine from Amazon for $8; this is only the sprocket carrier bearing. It fits; haven't had a chance to mount it on the bike yet and roll it around. If you're replacing that bearing, you should think about using the money I just saved you to grab the rear spacer from @richlandrick! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the responses.

Yarz1: I'd not heard of Pivotworks before. Was the sprocket carrier bearing they supplied single or double sealed?

RichlandRick: I'll check out Ranch and Home. I've often found ag supply shops have the best assortment of metric fasteners, maybe they'll have bearings too.

MAZ4ME: If the Suzuki bearing was double sealed I'd go with it. The single seal is why I want to replace the bearing. The gap between the unsealed side of the bearing and the dirt shield they call a seal lets in grit. I like gravel and dirt on this beast. Yes, I keep the void between the bearing and the dirt shield packed with grease, still, it lets in grit. I'll fix my info so the year of the bike is evident. Good guess, it's a 2006.

Demache: Was the NSK bearing double sealed? I'll see if I can find their website. That's pretty good service from afar.

WildDoktor: Is your $8.00 bearing double sealed? First thing I did after I bought the bike was purchase RichlandRick's spacer kit and mirror extenders. Both work very well. I am disappointed though that when I finally get a Vstrom RichlandRick has moved his business from just down the street to the other side of the USA.

Deicer crews were out in force, looks like another round of snow, sleet, and freezing rain rolling in tonight. If no work tomorrow (I drive school bus) it'll be a good time to get the bearing ordered.

Thanks again for your input!

JathkaJoe

·
Registered
582 Posts
WildDoktor: Is your $8.00 bearing double sealed?
Yep; it is the 62/32-2RS bearing that @greywolf (RIP) suggested here. 2RS=2 rubber seals.

First thing I did after I bought the bike was purchase RichlandRick's spacer kit and mirror extenders. Both work very well. I am disappointed though that when I finally get a Vstrom RichlandRick has moved his business from just down the street to the other side of the USA.
Nice; good to know!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thank you for the responses.

Demache: Was the NSK bearing double sealed? I'll see if I can find their website. That's pretty good service from afar.
Yes it was.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,826 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yarz1: I'd not heard of Pivotworks before. Was the sprocket carrier bearing they supplied single or double sealed? JathkaJoe
Pivot Works is popular with the off-road crowd. Yes, it is rubber sided, both sides (2RS). Buy only bearings rubber sealed on both sides.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have a Koyo 62/32 2RS in my sprocket carrier and it has been good so far over 50k miles. I paid $14 for it on ebay, looks like most sellers these days are overseas and around $35 shipped and more than a week lead time. Strange because I think Koyo is made in the USA.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KOYO-NSK-Rillenkugellager-Kugellager-Bearing-62-32-2RS-32-x-65-x17-mm/291699585731

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KOYO-NSK-Deep-Groove-Ball-Bearings-62-32-2RS-1-1-4x2-9-16x0-21-32In/292637542723

I usually go for the cheap option, but I don't trust All Balls, or anything made in China.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Who made the bearing, does it show a country of origin?
I've already installed it, but haven't put the wheel back on the swingarm, so I'll look tonight when I get home and see if there's something visible and let you know.

UPDATE:
The markings say HBC 62/32 2RS CHINA M8150925 (might be MB rather than M8)

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
From what I can tell, the 62/32-2RS size (32X65X17) is an oddball used only in powersports, and Koyo NTN, and KML may be the only manufacturers.

All the usual industrial bearing manufacturers I checked don't make this size (if I missed one, post a purchase link), and most industrial suppliers (McMaster, Zoro, Grainger) do not stock this size. (Fastenal lists one option, but with no brand and no stock.)

Koyo is a Japanese brand with plants all over the world, including China. I know they're OEM on Toyota and Suzuki, so I'd strongly suspect the OEM bearing is a Koyo. The OEM Koyo bearings I installed recently on my Toyota were Koyo made in China. They're high quality stuff, wherever they're made.

KML seems to be a Chinese brand and while they're a step down, they are also perfectly fine bearings in this application.

I have never once seen a motorcycle wheel bearing failure caused by defective or low-quality bearings; bearings almost always die because they were installed incorrectly.

Some die later in life because the seals wear out or were abused. Water and/or dirt can get in if you do things like ride in deep water, park for years with water dripping in, using a pressure washer, etc.

Most motorcycle wheel bearings are repurposed industrial bearings made to run at incredibly high loads and temperatures, and at many thousands of RPM. They're absolutely loafing out there in the cool breeze in lightly loaded relatively slowly turning motorcycle wheels.

I've installed the KML bearings sold in the convenient All Balls kits many times with zero issues.

And I'll also admit I've screwed up a few times, damaged the bearings I'm trying to install, and had to find a replacement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts