StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 DL1000, turns over but no joy. Eventually the F1 light flashed so I checked the codes and got C32 and C33. Front and rear injectors. Have a buyer coming to see it Saturday if I can start it. Manual calls for inspecting the connectors and continuity so I'll start there. Anyone having any insight or experience with this? Would be great to hear from you. Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a Jeep do that the morning of a sale and it was moisture.

Moisture maybe. But probably disconnect and reconnect or try some electrical contact cleaner. If you know what continuity means you’re probably good to troubleshoot. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
Check first the main connector LH side of the headstock. Look for a white powder or any corrosion. If not there check every connector you can find.
The signals come from the ECU to the injectors.

Look particularly for Green/White stripe, Green/Black stripe (signal), or Yellow/Red stripe.

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check first the main connector LH side of the headstock. Look for a white powder or any corrosion. If not there check every connector you can find.
The signals come from the ECU to the injectors.

Look particularly for Green/White stripe, Green/Black stripe (signal), or Yellow/Red stripe.
THANKS BROCKIE! That is now the #1 test. It's crunch time so it's the only thing on my to do list. So far I've been told everything from weak fuel pump to injector cleaning to face north and sacrifice a chicken. Well the chicken thing didn't work so wiring 1st and then I guess the injectors. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
You're welcome. I favour the Yellow/red stripe wire as you say that both injectors are affected. The fact that both injectors are out must be a clue to the solution.
If you cannot find a wiring problem then you must check for spark and fuel pressure.
I'm sorry that the chicken sacrifice didn't work. :grin2:

·
Registered
14,140 Posts
A friend was fond of the idea of offering up a small animal when things weren't going well. It might work to appease the wiring gods. No harm in trying....except to the small animal'
But maybe a marshmallow Peeps chicken would do the trick?

·
Super Moderator
16,866 Posts
Might be a stretch, but also ensure no mice have been nesting/chewing on wires.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's ALIVE. After Brockies advice I looked at the wiring diagram which is usually pointless for me. That seemed to be useful for the fuel system components and any other wire cross over. Found any connectors with these colors and cleaned and them. Turned the key, no F1 and it fired up instantly.

Thanks for the input peoples. This forum and a couple like it have helped me with how to approach a problem as much as what is the problem. That's important. You know "Build a man a fire keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life." sorta thing.

The chicken sacrifice was not a total waist as I do own a BBQ. A special shout out to Grey Wolf who also helped immensely and would no doubt be chuffed to know it. While being mortified with my bad grammar. Cheers and thanks again peoples.

PS: The brown connector just under the back left side of the tank seemed suspicious and poorly connected. If I had to guess, that would be it.

·
Registered
14,140 Posts
"Might be a stretch, but also ensure no mice have been nesting/chewing on wires."

That has happened under the hood of my 4Runner. Even tried to eat their way through the air filter.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Rodents are looking for protein, which is in the soybean oil-based plastic wire insulation.
Humans looking for protein can find it in chicken cooked to 165ºF/74ºC.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Huh... same here... something chewed up some ignition wires in my Highlander last fall. The Toyota tech fixed the wires and wrapped them in some kind of rodent-repellent tape. So far, so good.

- Martin

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
I'm pleased that you sorted it out in time for the weekend and hope to see you online occasionally. Your input to the forum has always been constructive and well received.
So what are your plans for the future?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm pleased that you sorted it out in time for the weekend and hope to see you online occasionally. Your input to the forum has always been constructive and well received.
So what are your plans for the future?
I've been sitting with a GSF 1200 and VStrom in the shed. Plus an 04 1200 GS and a 67 Triumph Bonneville in the house. I need to finish the 67. The funds from the GSF and Strom will more than cover it. I wouldn't hesitate to saddle up on a Strom again but much newer. I'm still gonna hang around the Troopers despite the Beamer Bashing. :mod2_hammer::mod2_hammer: My skins pretty thick. Adventure riders are pretty much of the same fraternity. I wanna hear about trips, see pictures and know about gear. I could care less what your riding to do it really. Thrilled to have gotten the Strom ready and thanks again

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And SOLD! Deposit made and will be back to load it up. I made sure he was fully aware what was needed and to come to Stromtroopers for any info. It had pretty much all of the required upgrades to sort out the 03 and was super clean. Needs a new chain so I knocked off $200. I did have to top up the clutch fluid for some reason which I pointed out but he seems to be confident with a wrench. It's found a good home so every one's happy. Now it's time to place an order for bearings and races for the Bonneville. Cheers.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Has the clutch slave cylinder ever been serviced? Chances are, at that age, it needs a new seal (#24 in the diagram below), or even a whole new slave cylinder assembly (#23) if it's pitted.

Apply the clutch a few times with the bike off. If you hear a bubbly sound (like squeezing the last drops out of a shampoo bottle) from the slave cylinder, then it's pretty much sure that some work is needed in that area.

Also check whether your bike was already upgraded to incorporate the additional dust cover. '02 bikes did not have it, it was added somewhere 2003/2004. #25A in the diagram.

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/suzuki-parts/2002-dl1000-v-strom-motorcycles/clutch

1 - 17 of 17 Posts