Strom Trooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strom people, since I just recently got on 2009 DL650 I would like to hear some of your experiences on this topic, some advice on front and rear spring pre-load adjustment, how to set it up, bike behavior when done so and stuff. I ride alone and with my lady, plan to do some trips this season. Any advice is more then welcome! :smile2:

·
Registered
369 Posts
well, Spring is only a few days away.... March 21. And lots of people get loaded over St Patrick's Day, which is right before Spring. Is that the Spring pre-load? (sorry, just couldn't let that slow pitch go by w/out taking a crack at it).

Some of the good motorcycle pre-load and sag info:
https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,7132.0.html
How your suspension works
https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,1539.0.html

if you ride 2-up, I think you'll quickly find that the stock springs (front and back) are woefully inadequate. You might want to consider replacing them with heavier springs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spring will definitely sprung soon and sadly, I skipped loading on st. Patrick's day! :D
Thanks Yarz1! I'll check this video. I'm short on time these days. I know if I was to dig for info on this forum, I would have definitely find something, but as mentioned, no time, so I tried this shortcut. :) Anyway, I was interested in other people setup on front and rear suspension, due to their weight and luggage loading, solo ride and 2up, etc.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm using a .90 in front & a 600 lb. in the back. I'm about 210 lbs. dressed. It's too much off pavement when I'm not carrying a load, & it overwhelms what dampening there is. But I set it up for multi day travel, so it carrys a load okay.
Decide where you want to sacrifice handling. Can't have both.

·
Registered
94 Posts
On this kind of bike you want to use 30-40% of total travel while loaded but not moving (rider static sag). With the passenger you probably won't quite get there, but there's no good way to avoid making those measurements. It's pretty easy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts