StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey Pete & Syd,
Waiting patiently for warm weather. Had to put the bike away early this year due to snow (Dec.1st).... Can't wait for Romney!
I was thinking of taking a few extra days and run the BR Parkway as well. Perhaps, Pete, we can hook-up? We'll have time to plan once we get to Romney. Should be the usual Canadian 'Foreign Legion' running down for the event once again.

Larry B.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Dirt Dad,
Please officially add me (Syd H.) and my riding partner Mike B. to the list of attendees. We will be staying at the famous/infamous Koolwink Motel.

Thank you for helping to make this rally an adventure rider's paradise. Hoping the later date works in our favor for good weather!:wink2:

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
Dirt Dad,
Please officially add me (Syd H.) and my riding partner Mike B. to the list of attendees. We will be staying at the famous/infamous Koolwink Motel.

Thank you for helping to make this rally an adventure rider's paradise. Hoping the later date works in our favor for good weather!:wink2:
We shall perhaps hoist a few toasts at the Koolwink? :smile2:

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
We shall perhaps hoist a few toasts at the Koolwink? :smile2:
Big B,
For sure. I am a lover of Anejo tequila, and my riding buddy Mike will drink anything as long as it is Vodka. I am sure the Canadian Contingency will bring along their fair share of maple infused liquid.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Hey, I like the Kool Wink. I stayed there just this past summer on a trip. It's got a kitschy 1960's "Route 66" feel that I really like. No one's going to mistake it for the Hilton, but it's a nice reminder of what traveling must have been like before we got homogenized and every town began having the exact same motels, shops and restaurants.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Dirt Dad,
Please add another rider to my posse. I coerced another sucker, I mean I encouraged a responsible rider to attend this great outing. We are a motley crew consisting of my Vstrom 1000, a 1200RT and now an FJR. Three months and counting!:smile2:

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Dirt Dad,
Please add another rider to my posse. I coerced another sucker, I mean I encouraged a responsible rider to attend this great outing. We are a motley crew consisting of my Vstrom 1000, a 1200RT and now an FJR. Three months and counting!:smile2:
Done! Sounds like a great crew so far. Feel free to keep encouraging responsible riders to join you. 0:)

Yes, 3 more months. Spring can't come soon enough.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
@Dirt_Dad

Jon I was hoping to go and was also loosely planning a trip out to Arizona to visit my daughter (with no firm time in mind.) It looked like I would be able to go but Porsche now has training in Albuquerque at the time of Romney so I will be riding out there for the training and to visit my daughter.

Hope to see you at some other event!

..Tom

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
@Dirt_Dad

Jon I was hoping to go and was also loosely planning a trip out to Arizona to visit my daughter (with no firm time in mind.) It looked like I would be able to go but Porsche now has training in Albuquerque at the time of Romney so I will be riding out there for the training and to visit my daughter.

..Tom
Sorry to hear you can't make it, Tom. But I'll never have bad feelings about a dad spending time with his daughter. Have a great trip out there. Hope to catch up with you at some point this year. Ride safe, buddy.

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
@Dirt_Dad

..Tom
Very obvious you are now avoiding me Tom. :frown2::wink2:

·
Registered
797 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am a definite maybe. Will depend on my teaching schedule for that weekend.

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:
2008 BMW K1200S, 2005(x2) Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2005 BMW R1150R, 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500, 2003 Yamaha 650 V-Star,1992 Honda 125 Enduro
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
Just an FYI for the non campers like myself.....the Koolwink hotel is filling up, get your room reserved ASAP.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Weather was too lousy today to inspire me to get out and check the new Mid-Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route that passes so close to Romney.

https://ridebdr.com/MABDR

I am looking forward to checking it out. I know some of the roads close to Romney, others are new to me. Always love learning new stuff that's worth riding.

They put together a nice video about the route.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dirt_Dad
Wow. The MABDR sounds fantastic! Would love to check it out.

Forest Cop
I would be interested in taking some extra time around the Romney event. I was planning to ride the Skyline Drive. Did BRP last year, but a repeat would not kill me.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Finally made it out to Romney yesterday. First time in 2018. They are going through menus from a couple of different food vendors. That's a nice change. Normally they are searching hard for any vendor. Looks like moving the event away from competing with the Apple Blossom Festival opened up more food options.

Leaving Romney I decided to check the new Mid-Atlantic Back-Country Discovery Route (MABDR), which passes just 6 miles north of Romney in Springfield. I turned left out of the dealership and before getting to the usual turn-around spot for the demo rides, I was on the BDR.

If you've ridden the published route that takes you over the wooden bridge, you've been on the BDR. The bridge has been updated after breaking free last year.

It no longer has the left and right wheel track wood, and is just a flat surface now.

The route they picked through Green Ridge State Forest is a very easy dirt road. As long as conditions are dry, I don't think anyone would find it challenging. Just a nice pleasant ride on a dirt road.

The pavement sections were very nice on this initial section.

At Hanover, MD you have a choice to make. You can go SE to Harpers Ferry, WV or take the bypass. I stayed straight and took the bypass which repeatedly bounces between roads in PA and MD. There is a small section of dirt, but overall this is a pavement ride through farming country. Again, there is nothing challenging on the bypass. It's more a nice relaxing ride through lovely country. There is some nice riding near rivers and rocky streams.

The White Tail ski resort.

At the end of the bypass I rejoined the main MABDR and headed in the direction of Harpers Ferry. This was the first time I found a closed road. If fact all the secondary (interesting) roads through Catoctin Mountain Park were closed yesterday. Probably due t the high wind event we had last weekend that brought down a lot of trees. I would expect these roads to be open during the Camp N Ride.

I took the MABDR as far as Burkittsville, MD...the home of the Blair Witch. This second again has non-challenging dirt roads and some really nice pavement sections, and a couple of interesting bridges.

Overall, there is nothing difficult on the sections of MABDR that I rode. In dry conditions I don't think anyone would have any issues. It is a a lovely ride, through many different types of terrain. It is 95% pavement. The biggest issue I found were ridiculously slow speed limits in very remote places. Some may find they are riding at double the speed limits. Not to be racing through it, just to ride at a normal relaxed pace. I'm not advocating that. Just making you aware.

more photos from MABRD at: https://jonenglish.smugmug.com/MD-BDR

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
count us in

I'll be coming again this year, and bringing my buddy Jim, last year on his Can Am Spyder, this year on a newish Vstrom.
I'm riding from Kingston Ontario, a week early to meet up with him someplace, yet to be determined, probably central PA. We will ride around in loops for about a week and end up at Romney on Friday.
As much as we appreciate the amazing ongoing generous hospitality of Romney Cycles and the staff, we will be camping in a warm dry motel.

PS sorry about the photbucket crap. What a pain that I've not been able to figure out how to shake loose. It's like dogshit stuck on my boot. Hmmmmm maybe I've just solved the problem. I gave up on them last July and have found my way to SmugMug which is fantastic.
Gord

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Glad you're going to make it, Gord. You and I have been meeting up at the same events now for over 10 years.

I learned about the Photobucket policy as I was posting during my Alaska trip last year. Was a real PITA. Also moved everything to SmugMug.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Count me in as well.

I may have 2 new inmates (One on Urinal and the other on a WR250R) that will attend.

41 - 60 of 163 Posts