StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a pair of warn universal fog light mounts for my strommy xt. Look to be pretty good bang for buck. Now I'm not a regular night time rider by any means - want to get off the roads by that time because of the obvious - Roos, hares, rabbits, nocturnal humans in cars and not really interested in having them on during the day as the normal lights on the strommy are pretty good at showing "yes I am here" but in saying that hey anything extra is only better. So I just thought I would get the opinions of ones with fog lights on their strommy sweat is the best overall...spot or flood?

Thanks
Nathan

·
Registered
449 Posts
Auxiliary flood led lights are better than spot led lights because they have a wider beam to see around corners, illuminate signs more easily, get drivers attention more easily, and have a long enough beam for highway speeds. Spots are used for above highway speed runs where you need to see much further down the road.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
aka Rick in Alabama
503 Posts
Another vote for floods. We have our own variety of nocturnal critters over here. The floods do better as night time ditch sweepers, in my humble opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
528 Posts
i've tried several different led's, each time getting a narrower beam than the previous. I found floods absolutely useless except for lighting the path directly in front of you - which really is pointless on a MC when traveling anything more than 25mph. I'm now down to 10 degree spots (previous were 60 and then 30). Much better, but I think I'll try 5 degree or pencil beam next.

·
aka Rick in Alabama
503 Posts
Another option is one of each - a flood to light the ditches directly in front, and a spot to push out a bit ahead in the line of travel.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Flood lamps are excellent for what you want, that "I am here" effect. If you want extra lamps to be more conspicuous and to be seen then that's what you want. You can run them during the day as DRL, and at night they shouldn't blind oncoming drivers if properly aimed. I have flood lights on my forks, and I am looking to put spot lights by my handlebars next. The spot lights are for night driving, which I do once in a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts