StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving for Australia in a couple of weeks and exploring the EPIRB scene. Spots are around for as low as $50 and need a subscription.

Anyone have alternatives or feedback on the SPOT or others.

TIA

·
Registered
508 Posts
I got one 11 months ago. I've had it turned on for probably 48-60 hours in the last year and it is still on the original set of batteries. I bought a new set but have not had to install them yet. I got mine free at a bike show and just had to pay the yearly subscription. Mine is soon up for renewal so I'm looking to see if there are any discounts available. The device has worked acceptably for tracking me. I put it in either a top case or side case and it has always worked. I don't have it externally mounted.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
I used my Spot on a couple of trips now. One was a 2 week trip to Baja. It worked flawlessly. It allowed my friends and family to track my movements and live vicariously through me. Yes, it not perfect and yes, if you send an SOS message, you have no way of knowing if it was received but for the cost and convenience, its a lot of bang for the buck.

Check out this thread I posted about a SPOT adventure. Pretty cool.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/techy-world-gps-electronics-etc/263409-personal-locator-beacons.html#post3182457

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I have a delorme inreach, the major plus to them is that they allow for month to month contracts. Haven't had any issues with it on multiple trips.
I have the Inreach as well, it lets you send/receive short text messages in addition to tracking and my family loved it. I also have the powered bar mount cradle so it is always fully charged on a trip.

At one point on my trip I received a message from my wife, "Aren't you going the wrong way?" and sure enough, I had pulled out from a rest stop going the wrong direction in the middle of nowhere. Handy.

The month to month is nice too, although they do charge you to reactivate it each year if you cancel it completely, which is another $15, but still save money over a yearly rate.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
SPOT

Great company to deal with. After years of hard use and many trips my unit became intermittently problematic. They replaced it at no charge, no hassles. Can't beat that.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I too went with an InReach. The ability to send and receive text messages is huge. Also in a SOS situation you will know if you got the signal out and when help might be expected. To me that beats the factor of not knowing if your message was received and if help is coming.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
I too went with an InReach. The ability to send and receive text messages is huge. Also in a SOS situation you will know if you got the signal out and when help might be expected. To me that beats the factor of not knowing if your message was received and if help is coming.
+++
When my Spot started to skip a lot of "pings" I switched to an inReach. Different satellite system which supposedly works better in higher latitudes and the 2way texting are the reasons I switched. If you manage your tracking closely, it is not much more expensive than Spot.

The skipped pings was the biggie. What use is an ELB if the L part is unreliable. Ours is used in the backcountry skiing quite a bit so it needs to be reliable. On one 3 day trip, it registered only 1 (one) location. I know that the skipped ping thing is not universal but ours was a problem and Spot tech support could not resolve it. Admittedly, I didn't push the issue hard. Maybe a new unit was required.

Incidentally, the inReach does not seem to miss any pings.

Rod

·
Premium Member
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I get one I'll go InReach - thanks for that....I looked a Telstra coverage in my riding area and since I'm not going far away from towns I'll assess the coverage when I get there to see if I need the satellite cover.

I'm actually more likely to want it touring the boonies in the US and Canada after I get back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts