StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of a 07 DL 1000 which I adore.....part of me wants another bike down the road. I can't decide which to go with a sweet sport touring bike with more horsies or a cruiser as there are some sweet bikes in both classes. Suzuki in IMHO makes some really nice cruisers but I also like the idea of a more upright riding position and better handling that comes with a sport touring bike. Also looking for more excitement on the highways. Most of all of my riding is on longer trips 2-7 days as I love the adventures.

Looking for feedback and other Vstrom owners thoughts on the matter.
I am 6'3" so leg room is essential. Won't be getting rid of the Big Strom as I love it, just may want a second child in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I am the proud owner of a 07 DL 1000 which I adore.....part of me wants another bike down the road. I can't decide which to go with a sweet sport touring bike with more horsies or a cruiser as there are some sweet bikes in both classes. Suzuki in IMHO makes some really nice cruisers but I also like the idea of a more upright riding position and better handling that comes with a sport touring bike. Also looking for more excitement on the highways. Most of all of my riding is on longer trips 2-7 days as I love the adventures.

Looking for feedback and other Vstrom owners thoughts on the matter.
I am 6'3" so leg room is essential. Won't be getting rid of the Big Strom as I love it, just may want a second child in the next couple of years.
Seems to me that the best second bike would be complementary to your Vee not similar. If your Vee is like mine, you probably consider it a bit of a work horse, not a glamor model. So maybe a Ducati sportbike or Moto Guzzi cruizer would fit the bill. Something more exotic.

Or a retro bike, like an older Suzuki, Honda, or Kawaski.

I don't know just seems like a second bike is an opportunity to mix it up. But yeah, I could see owning a big Boulevard or similar to keep really clean and pose with at rest stops. :)

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Most of all of my riding is on longer trips 2-7 days as I love the adventures.
Sounds like it's a cruiser for you.

Where is the adventure in arriving at your destination without sciatica pain and right-side deafness? Can bragging rights be gained without finger numbness and peritineal paralasys from the single-crankpin "pulse" of a cruiser. And why not create an excuse to expand your riding wardrobe?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Consider an older Goldwing. They will give you troublefree miles of touring, provide cramp free seating position, give you storage for a multi-day trip and be a reasonable cost.
Cruisers with forward set pegs or floor boards are hard on the back and tailbone but they look cool.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Sport Tour. Because cruisers are inherently compromised bikes that are intended to provide an image, sound, and look over quality riding characteristics. Thus, they use outdated or downright flawed designs such as:

21" front wheels
fake hardtail suspensions with 1.5" of travel
narrow-v engine layouts with single crankpins (potater potater potater)
absurdly wide rear tires
forward controls (what in the HELL are they thinking?)
no cornerning clearance

Need I go on?

Now, before anybody goes on the defense of cruisers, if you like yours, I'm happy for you. Everybody should ride what they want to. You need not list the $5,000 in upgrades you put on yours to make 80 hp.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well.... I've had cruisers when I was younger. I'll never have another one. I Went the sportier side of the sport tourer and love it. I use the Wee for the longer trips. If you want something more upright in the sport tour family maybe look at an older Kawasaki Conny or something.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Need I go on?
Um, you did forget the latest style rehash from Easy Rider: ridiculously high "Ape Hangers." :hurray:

I typed this once already and lost it, but here goes. Since your DL-1000 is already a capable tourer, what about something sporty like a Speed Triple or the new Ninja 1000? I've tested the Ninja in town only, but it would be a blast on backroads and you could tour with a better seat.

I like my Sprint ST a lot and it is also capable of long-distance. The new Sprint GT gets good reviews and the 1050 is a great engine. Cruiser? Ducati Diavel?

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
My two most comfortable rides I've owned and have done 750+ miles in a day have been a Honda CBR1100XX and a Yamaha Roadstar. I found both stock seats all day comfy. These two are pretty far apart ergo wise and truly worlds apart power wise yet both were fun to ride and my wife says the seat on the Roadstar was better than the Goldwing we have now. You gotta try different stuff and form your own opinions. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
They are very uncomfortable for myself. I like the controls under my feet and don't like the feet forward. The sitting position I find to be too much of a C shape with a big back arch. I prefer to be closer to the tank. The net result I find is a sore lower back and shoulders too.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Seems to me this is your oportunity to TEST RIDE lots of bikes and find the style you like best. Don't listen to these guys, decide for yourself.

BTW, since when does cruiser only mean "Harley"? there are lots of nice cruiser style motorcycles out there.
Personally I was always a Valkerie fan. I also dig the Victorys.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would go with what I think is the #1 cruiser on the market, the Yamaha Road Star. Nice big 1700cc motor rides like a dream and very comfy. It also has nice horsepower and fantastic tourque. They are also very easy to work on and trouble free.

Zak

·
Registered
335 Posts
Consider an older Goldwing. They will give you troublefree miles of touring, provide cramp free seating position, give you storage for a multi-day trip and be a reasonable cost.
Cruisers with forward set pegs or floor boards are hard on the back and tailbone but they look cool.
Penmaker is on the right track with the GoldWing,
however, you can get the best of both worlds (Gold Wing & Cruiser) with a Honda Valkrie.
They are also available as a full dresser or with just soft-bags and a windshield.
Oh and they do not SOUND like a 'Wing. They sound more like a Ferrari.

YouTube - ‪Valkyrie wheelie‬‏

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've got a Road King to go with my V Strom and wouldn't get rid of it for anything. Way less vibrations than people that haven't ridden them think, way less buzz through the bars too and the ridding position isn't any worse on my back than the Strom. I would go with a cruiser it nice to have two very different types of bikes IMHO.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I got a cruiser when I got back into riding. It was ok to refresh my limited skills but I got bored really quickly.
Bandit, Concourse, Katana, Bonneville, Boss Hoss!

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Don't discount the fun of a big, (relatively) slow, poor handling, heavy cruiser. I had a 2003 Suzuki LC1500, vance and hines pipes, jetted carbs, Russel Day Long seat, hard bags, windshield and lowers, amplified speakers for mp3 player, floorboards and backrest for wifey, we put near 60,000 glorious miles on that beastie in 4 years, Yellowstone, Glacier, Banff, Jasper, Yosemite, Rocky Mt. National park, Vale, and places in between. I'd still have it, but she lost interest in two week long bike trips, so, I traded it in on something lighter, smaller, faster, very "different" The '07 Vee... and I love the Vee, but kinda miss those days on the big road bike, the miles just rolling by, leaned back against the backrest, with wifey behind me... lots of stops for coffee and cookie breaks, no big hurry, just getting from motel to motel day by day taking in the sites, smells, and sounds of travel on two wheels. Now, I disapear from home for 10 days or so each summer, me, the vee, a map, alone. I love that too, but there's still room in the garage for a big cruiser, and there may be one there someday, it would be nice sometime, to have something very different.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Sounds like it's a cruiser for you.

Where is the adventure in arriving at your destination without sciatica pain and right-side deafness? Can bragging rights be gained without finger numbness and peritineal paralasys from the single-crankpin "pulse" of a cruiser. And why not create an excuse to expand your riding wardrobe?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Victory

Look @ the Victory Hammer S, Upside down forks, Handles great, looks great and gives you that whole, Its nice outside and I want charcter today. Not the bliss of a Strom. Loud, Fast, Stops, and Turns. A small windshield and bags and your set. Just my TWO CENTS.
Later

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I'd tap that.

I had fun with my wife's Sportster 1200L.
I'd opt for the longer-legged XR-1200, though.

As Mr. Garandman has mentioned elsewhere, the rear suspension is somewhat lacking on these bikes. It was very easy to bottom out that Sporty and not so easy to get on the pegs (55,000 miles and I have never bottomed out the DL on pavement). Still it was fun to hang off of that thing on turns, I sure didn't want to come home with a cherry-red kickstand foot, wifey wouldn't let me ride her Sporty again.

If I had to get a Cruiser to compliment my DL-650, it would be one of the Harely Touring Bikes, they come from the factory with actual brakes and a suspension.

[Edit, Hey, I just noticed you have dual-discs up front, how did that happen?]

1 - 20 of 74 Posts