StromTrooper banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
249 Posts
The VStrom actually has a slightly crouched forward position (for an Adventure Bike). You could also rotate the bars slightly forward.

Keep in mind, if you do rotate the bars forward or go low bars, standup riding when off pavement is going to be quite awkward.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Has anyone switched handlebars for a more leaning forward position?
Yes I did. I took off the stock bar and went strolling around the cycle mega-store holding my part up to likely candidates. I settled on a yamaha quad 450. I like the result but would not hesitate to go farther. Careful if you do ride dirt and stand on the pegs as lower does not translate well here. I lean forward and crowd the tank street riding. That is the balance/pivot point on this bike.

·
Registered
2004 DL650
19 Posts
I wonder if you'd be happier swapping your Strom for a SV650? You keep the same engine and transmission but get a sportier bike with more forward lean and a lower center of gravity with excellent handling characteristics.

·
Registered
2011 DL650
197 Posts
Pro taper ATV low will get you FWD but clearance to the windscreen can be an issue with hand guards. They are slightly wider but could be cut down and still have enough left for mounting the controls.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wonder if you'd be happier swapping your Strom for a SV650? You keep the same engine and transmission but get a sportier bike with more forward lean and a lower center of gravity with excellent handling characteristics.
Haha interesting thought, my 4th bike in relatively short time, I will consider it. Tks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I did. I took off the stock bar and went strolling around the cycle mega-store holding my part up to likely candidates. I settled on a yamaha quad 450. I like the result but would not hesitate to go farther. Careful if you do ride dirt and stand on the pegs as lower does not translate well here. I lean forward and crowd the tank street riding. That is the balance/pivot point on this bike.
Will check it out. Kind of hard to make comparisons online. Tks

·
Registered
623 Posts
I suggest putting a desert tank on a Gladius so you don;t run dry of petrol ten miles from timbuctu.
Will check it out. Kind of hard to make comparisons online. Tks
I agree Two Old. Selecting the bend you want is way easy putting your hands on. My selection was better for my wrists but nearly the same in other ways. I cut off 1/2" off the ends and off to the races. I heard the pro taper ATV bars have some offerings that work well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I suggest putting a desert tank on a Gladius so you don;t run dry of petrol ten miles from timbuctu.

I agree Two Old. Selecting the bend you want is way easy putting your hands on. My selection was better for my wrists but nearly the same in other ways. I cut off 1/2" off the ends and off to the races. I heard the pro taper ATV bars have some offerings that work well.
That’s the problem living out here in the sticks ( Hines Oregon) . Got to get feedback and go online to get stuff. Will check it out. Lowered the stock bars , helped a little bit to get forward and down. Tks

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Have you had a look at the thread Handlebar gallery ? Not sure how many of these various handlebars are still available in the stores, but it does give an idea of possible options.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you had a look at the thread Handlebar gallery ? Not sure how many of these various handlebars are still available in the stores, but it does give an idea of possible options.
Jackpot! WOW, How great to find a place to get so much info! New to this, will have to learn to use this site better. I see where I’m going to spend some time this winter! Tks again!

·
Registered
2011 DL650
197 Posts
The pro tapper Raptor bend on that thread did not fit between the risers on my 2011. The mount area is to narrow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts