StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my bike in '06 and have done about 80 000km to date. Within the first year a major problem raised it's ugly head. When traveling at strict Highway speeds(120km/h) for an extended period (20 minutes plus) it would become difficult to precisely control the bikes speed. It would feel like a dead spot, but if the throttle is fully open you'd get the desired effect...solid acceleration. When trying to return to highway cruising, the bike's power would be erratic again. Pulling in the clutch would result in the bike dying. Restarting would be a mission, but possible if you keep it going twisting the throttle. The only way of dealing with this would be to stop for a while. This is an intermittent problem and is therefore not easily repeated to show the relevant technical crowd.

I had the dealership look at the problem and they could not simulate nor speculate as to what the problem is. While still under warrantee I insisted this problem be escalated to Suzuki SA. They gladly assisted and even gave me a loan bike. It took them many tries, eventually doing about 320km (200 miles) altogether on different trips before the problem re-appeared. The throttle position sensor and ECU were identified as the culprits and replaced under warrantee. My assumption is that all other obvious culprits like throttle body syncing, fuel pressure delivery, leaking boots etc had been checked...This is after all the top level agent for the product I have bought.

Since the "Fix" I have taken the bike on two long trips and the problem re-occured on both instances. My problem is that I generally commute to work and back in heavy traffic(average speed between 30 - 40 km/h) which rarely offers the opportunity to repeat the circumstances associated with this problem.

In the same 6 years the stator coils have burnt out twice, resulting in loss of charge. I mention this as there may be correlation between the problems. After my latest long trip(which included the usual splutter experience) I noticed the head lights were rather dim... when I measured the voltage over the 3 stator fields they measured around 20 volts instead of a healthy 80 volts. (No I dont have any auxiliary lamps or anything else non standard drawing additional current)

I am really frustrated with this problem, I love this bike, it gives me all I need, but I must admit it also gives me enough reason not to buy another Suzuki.

All responses welcome.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Has the regulator/rectifier ever been replaced?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
.... is it the 650 or 1000? Don't give up on suzuki... I have owned many, many bikes... Suzuki is the only brand that has yet to give me even a minor problem... ***edit*** I guess I need to add... I have never owned (but rode a few) a 1000, though... and rumour has it, it possibly has a few "quirks"...:mrgreen:

·
38,104 Posts
It's a 1000. It's in his profile. I figured as much it before looking though.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Just speculation, since we have virtually no real info to work with, but I wonder if the rotor magnets are wandering...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
regulator rectifier

Daft of me, it's a DL1000. :headbang:
Work has been hectic, so sorry for only replying now.

The regulator rectifier has never been replaced. I bought a new one that's now in storage. Didn't think of replacing it the first time I had charging problems, as it turned out it was the stator coils that had burnt out.

·
Registered
657 Posts
plugged fuel filter?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
plugged fuel filter?
Thanks Craig, I will check it out this weekend. All other comments suggestions still welcome, I am prepared to strip this bike bare to find the problem. Will be taking the stator coils out to inspect and possibly have re-wound.

btw. Rather impressive list of mods you have there. Wont get half the stuff here in South Africa.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just speculation, since we have virtually no real info to work with, but I wonder if the rotor magnets are wandering...
Are you refering to the magnets within the flywheel that turn around the stator coils. If so, what does the term "wandering" mean. If there is any other information you need, let me know how I can help you help me..:thumbup:

·
38,104 Posts
There have been a number of cases on DL1000s expecially of the magnets that are glued to the rotor breaking the bond and only being held on by magnetic attraction. An uneven spacing is usually noticeable even before checking to see if they can be moved. Don't push or pry them with considerable force to check. They are ceramic and fragile.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts