StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for you that understand electronics. I dabble, but don't have depth of knowledge in it so I need the collective wisdom of the list. If you have a splitter, or a "Y", with one male jack and two female jacks - this would allow you to plug the one male jack into the 'voice out' line of a device (let's say an FM radio) and into the two female jacks of the splitter you plug in two listening devices (let's say two sets of earbuds). That FM radio signal could be heard by two listeners at the same time. Now, if you unplugged one set of those earbuds and plugged in your gps 'voice out' line into the female jack previously occupied by that one set of earbuds, would the listener on the remaining earbud set still plugged in be able to hear the gps device's voice give directions if the FM radio was silenced or off? Or do splitters come with diodes built-in that restrict direction of current and thus allow only the FM radio signal to travel to the earbuds? Thus, is the male jack for signal into the splitter and female jacks for signal out of the splitter only, or can the current flow be reversed?

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
I'll keep this simple
Splitters split a single audio output into 2 outputs.
Diodes would kill all audio. Audio is compromised of negative and positive voltage. Diodes block negative voltage. They act as one way valves.
You would need an impedance matching transformer to do what you want.
You would need some kind of combiner/pre-amplifier to do what you want.
Bluetooth systems will do it for you.

·
Registered
859 Posts
So what I'm hearing is you want to have several audio inputs feeding into one headset?
You need a mixer. You can get some cheap portable units from places like Musicians Supply.
If you want to feed several outputs there are mixers that do that too.

Something like this - be aware most have the large 1/4" plugs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts