StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Havent bought a bike since 2013. Pick up my new 2018 V1000 soon. Have a 100 mile ride to get her home and was wondering how accurate is the speedometer?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Funny you ask. Annoyingly off. I have 2018 1000 xt and tonight I went out with gps to see how off it was. Between 30 and 70 mph it’s about 3mph off to the high. Above 70 mph it’s 4 mph high. 74 to 75 is 70 mph on gps. Debating if I should get speedo fixer gadget. Aka whatever it’s called to make it accurate but I think it messes with odometer then.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Funny you ask. Annoyingly off. I have 2018 1000 xt and tonight I went out with gps to see how off it was. Between 30 and 70 mph it’s about 3mph off to the high. Above 70 mph it’s 4 mph high. 74 to 75 is 70 mph on gps. Debating if I should get speedo fixer gadget. Aka whatever it’s called to make it accurate but I think it messes with odometer then.
If the speedometer is off, wouldn't the odometer be off as well? It's something I've wondered about on my 07 Wee, on which the speedometer always reads about 7% high.

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
If the speedometer is off, wouldn't the odometer be off as well? It's something I've wondered about on my 07 Wee, on which the speedometer always reads about 7% high.

No. Strom speedo's are off about 7 or 8 %. The odometer is within a couple of percent.

Think of speedo and odo as different devices. For various reasons Suzuki has decided to show the speedo as (about_ 8% optimistic an dhas decided to show the odo as almost right on.

..Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I have found that both the 2013 VStrom 650 and the 2018 VStrom 1000XT read low in terms of miles per hour. I've always chalked it up to a conversion error (kph to mph.) No idea if that is true or not, but it does consistently under report miles per hour.

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
Yes, I have found that both the 2013 VStrom 650 and the 2018 VStrom 1000XT read low in terms of miles per hour. I've always chalked it up to a conversion error (kph to mph.) No idea if that is true or not, but it does consistently under report miles per hour.
Don't know if I am misunderstanding you or you are mistaking things. Every stock strom I have ever ridden or heard of displays the speed roughly 7 or 8% higher than the actual bike speed. Ie if the actual speed is 60 mph the speedo will display 64 or 65 mph. If the speedo displays 60 mph the actual speed is around 56 mph. If the actual bike speed is 100 kph the speedo will display 107 or 108. Kph. If the speedo display 100 kph the actual speed is 93 or 94 kph.

(Warning! Nerd talk follows: As far as conversion metric to imperial units on the digital odometer Suzuki is using .625 as the conversion from kilometers to miles instead of .6213712. This isn't noticeable on the speedo but is noticeable on the odometer when you start getting higher mileage in the bike, record the mileage and travel in both Canada and the USA. This is true on DL650 from 2012 until the facelift and also from 2014 DL1000 up to the facelift. I imagine the 2017-2018+ are the same but don't know if for a fact)

..Tom

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Mine has always been 8% optimistic. I'm assuming that Suzuki's lawyers are the reason for it.
This comes up on all the motorcycle forums I've been on.

There are regulations that state that the ODO has to be accurate and the speedo can't show less than the actual speed.

Bike manufacturers always make the speedo read high I'm guessing for liability reasons. Probably generate some class actions suits if they were 8% low!

·
Registered
96 Posts
No. Strom speedo's are off about 7 or 8 %. The odometer is within a couple of percent.

Think of speedo and odo as different devices. For various reasons Suzuki has decided to show the speedo as (about_ 8% optimistic an dhas decided to show the odo as almost right on.

..Tom
My 14 Wee was 10% off from actual GPS speed. I used a SpeedoHealer to correct mine. The correction factor was -9.1 and I'm about dead Nutz on now.

I beg to differ on the Odo being Different than the Speedo unless it uses the ABS Tone rings to calculate mileage. If it uses the speedo sensor on the front Sprocket it would be off by the same percentage. I am pretty sure Suzuki does it so they can Cheap out on Factory Warranty by as much as 10% multiplied by Millions of bikes sold = Major corporate Savings! sounds like class Action Suit Time to me.

Same thing happened in the Auto industry which Forced the auto manufacturers to accuratize the speedos and odo's

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I just use the GPS and don't worry about it....>:)

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
I beg to differ on the Odo being Different than the Speedo unless it uses the ABS Tone rings to calculate mileage. If it uses the speedo sensor on the front Sprocket it would be off by the same percentage. I am pretty sure Suzuki does it so they can Cheap out on Factory Warranty by as much as 10% multiplied by Millions of bikes sold = Major corporate Savings! sounds like class Action Suit Time to me.
It isn't a question or theory: in stock form the odo is pretty accurate, a percent or two optimistic, while the speedo is about 8% optimistic. It isn't an accident but is obviously by design.

Think of it as there being one sensor that ticks off distance traveled. The computer has been told how far apart each tick is and then counts the number of tics to figure out the distance. It figures 1000 ticks equals a mile.

Another totally different device also counts those same ticks. It figures 920 ticks is a mile and, using it's clock calculates (distance times time) to calculate the speed.

Even though they just the same source for the ticks they end up using different calculations and are off by different amounts.

..Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts