StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering which one would be more accurate? there is a 6 mph difference between the speedo on the new wee, and my garmin gps. If the bike says I am going 70 mph, the gps says I am only going 64 mph.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was wondering which one would be more accurate? there is a 6 mph difference between the speedo on the new wee, and my garmin gps. If the bike says I am going 70 mph, the gps says I am only going 64 mph.
Your GPS is accurate.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Find a cop and ask him how fast you were going. You usually need to be speeding for the opportunity to ask though :green_lol:

·
Administrator
14,222 Posts
Your GPS is accurate.
Yes but with some caveats: if you are not riding at a steady speed the GPS speed can lag a bit behind the real speed. In sharp turns it can read less than the actual speed. And on occasion an error can exist where a crazy speed is momentarily displayed although is is very rare.

These are minor issues, however, and for all intents and purposes the Gps speed will be e most accurate speed we have access to.

..Tom

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've read that at 60 mph your gps is within 2 tenths of a mph. That said, corners are a little different in that the gps segments spot to spot measuring the time between. This does not change enough to really matter allthough if you live in the twisties your odometer will read a little short.

·
Registered
308 Posts
All bikes and cars come with inaccurate speedos on purpose.

My old Vstrom was 9% out. My 2012 is 7% out.

Our Toyota Rav4 is about 7% out. But here is the interesting part. I have an aftermarket OBDII driven guage called an ultra-guage. It talks to the cars ECU, and you can look at all the info the ECU has. If you look at the speed from the ECU, it is perfectly accurate and matches the GPS, even though the speed on the instrument cluster says something else.

·
Registered
220 Posts
All bikes and cars come with inaccurate speedos on purpose.
True! I have been using GPS systems since they first came out! All vehicles I found were off by around 3-5 km/h. I always assumed that cars came with speedos that showed a slightly higher speed to give a little grace for the speed limits.

·
Registered
791 Posts
My Acura TSX speedo matches the GPS perfectly so not all vehicles are off, my wife's truck is 5% off. You need to be travelling straight and should not be climbing of descending and the GPS should be bang on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, is anybody making anything to correct the speedometer for the '12 Wee? Such as SpeedoDRD or Speedohealer. And does that make our odometers 7% off?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
An electronic alteration to the speed sensor signal will affect the odometer and speedometer by an equal amount.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Speedohealer with the same harness as previous models works in the 2012, like G/W stated, your odometer will be off a little. Cheers-BB

·
38,103 Posts
The Glee has the same triangular(wrong) connectors on the speedo sensor as the Wee and Vee. The manufactures of the speedo adjustment units will probably figure that out and add the '12 soon.

The triangular connector is for the gear position switch. The speedo sensor connector is three in line. Both Speedo-Healer and SpeedoDRD are now including 2012 in the literature.

·
Administrator
14,222 Posts
The Glee has the same triangular connectors on the speedo sensor as the Wee and Vee. The manufactures of the speedo adjustment units will probably figure that out and add the '12 soon.
With the 2004 though 2011 DL650 having the speedo drive off the front wheel is the statement above true?

..Tom

·
Registered
220 Posts
Is it difficult to access the factory connector to install a speedo healer on the 2012?

·
38,103 Posts
The Glee has the same triangular connectors on the speedo sensor as the Wee and Vee. The manufactures of the speedo adjustment units will probably figure that out and add the '12 soon.
With the 2004 though 2011 DL650 having the speedo drive off the front wheel is the statement above true?

..Tom
Did you grab the correct quote? It doesn't matter where the sensor is for a speedo healer to work. It can even correct for a gearing change on a rear driven sensor. On the other hand, changing the gearing on an earlier model won't change the speedo reading.

·
Administrator
14,222 Posts
Did you grab the correct quote? It doesn't matter where the sensor is for a speedo healer to work. It can even correct for a gearing change on a rear driven sensor. On the other hand, changing the gearing on an earlier model won't change the speedo reading.
I honestly didn't know that a speedo healer would work on the earlier DL650's. (And since a faceplate change was so easy to do I never even thought of doing that anyway.)

Are you doing anything about the speedo on your new DL650?

..Tom

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks, GW! I can always count on you for thorough and accurate information.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 40 Posts