StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone had their speedometer stop working? I was riding in the rain all day today on pavement and then took a rocky dirt road for about 5 miles when the speedo quit. It would work intermittently then it just died.

What's the best way to troubleshoot this? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
After inspecting the speedo drive and the wires, I suspect that one of the wires has been damaged from the little zip tie that the factory uses to tie it to the brake line. The zip tie was very tight and slightly cutting into the outer sheathing of the wiring cable. I'll have to take the whole assembly off to tell for sure if the wires inside are damaged. I hope it's something I can repair since a new assembly is over $100.

I'm not positive that this is the problem, but you guys might want to check this out on your bikes and replace those small sharp-edged zip ties with something else or reinforce the cable where it rubs against the zip tie so that it won't cut into it.

UPDATE: I removed the zip tie and rolled the wiring cable between my fingers to try see if I could feel some kind of break. I couldn't feel anything, but I wondered if just removing the zip tie and straightening out the wiring where the zip tie had pinched it would make any difference. I gave the bike a test ride and...whadayaknow--it works! (for now). There must be a minor break in the wire inside that re-connected when I took the zip tie pressure off and straightened it out. For now I'm just going to put some electrical tape over the area that was pinched and leave the zip tie off. I guess I'll tear into the wiring and try to repair the bad wire if (more likely when) it quits on me again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
mine also went on the 24th! I managed to source a replacement part on ebay for £30 delivered which was pretty fair. fingers crossed its the same problem.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mine also went on the 24th! I managed to source a replacement part on ebay for £30 delivered which was pretty fair. fingers crossed its the same problem.
Which part did you buy? Is it the whole speedometer drive assembly with wiring?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Me Too

Mine stopped working on a ride recently. I felt , jiggled the connection on the back of the speedo and it's worked since. I suspect it had vibrated loose at on ly 1500 miles.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Another speedometer down

My speedometer is acting up. Reading erratically. I guess I''ll start checking the cable ties and connections as mentioned in this thread. Bike just turned 17,000 miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts