StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 DL650. As I'm riding down the road, I cannot see precisely how fast I'm going as the backlight is rather dim, and the Amber digits / background don't get illuminated enough. Is there a replacement bulb that can be installed? I've asked my dealer if they can find one, but they are notorious for lack of effort.
Many Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I have a 2011 DL650. As I'm riding down the road, I cannot see precisely how fast I'm going as the backlight is rather dim, and the Amber digits / background don't get illuminated enough. Is there a replacement bulb that can be installed? I've asked my dealer if they can find one, but they are notorious for lack of effort.
Many Thanks in advance.

Have you tried turning up the brightness on the display? :grin2:

It's those series of boxes in the trip meter section.

·
Registered
328 Posts
VtMacDoc

I have the 2013 and brightness is adjustable. For us you step through display with select trigger until you get some little circles and then use adjust button to change number of little circles. More circles more brightness. Not sure on the 2011. Nothing mentioned in the owners or service manual. I looked at parts as well and instrument cluster is one piece so I doubt your dealer can help if brightness is not adjustable. First time I have seen a complaint so you may have an issue.

kfh000

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
This, from Motorcycle.com concerning the about-to-be-released '12 Vstrom650:
"The instrument panel is new, with a brightness-adjustable LCD displaying the speedometer, odometer, dual trip meter, gear position, coolant and ambient temperature, fuel information and clock."
I checked the parts microfiche, they show the gauge assembly available, but no replaceable bulbs.
I have sent GM instrument clusters out for repairs-it's possible that a speedometer repair shop could change soldered-in bulbs or LEDs for brighter units, but you'll have to check on that.

·
Registered
321 Posts
A couple years back I replaced a bunch of dash lights of the same type, I believe, in a different bike with LEDs from SuperBrightLED's. They were TOO bright and I had to reorder for dimmer ones. Happy with the result after the second try. Search at SuperBrightLEDs.com by bulb type, then sort by lumens. I've used a fair bit of product from these guys.

·
Super Moderator
16,874 Posts
Have you tried turning up the brightness on the display? :grin2:

It's those series of boxes in the trip meter section.
I wasn't aware the 11 and under 650's and 1000's have that feature. :wink2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts