StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 2011 Wee Owner - purchased in July. Went out for a ride today for first time with a GPS and noticed that the speedo was about 5-8 MPH higher than the GPS speed at speeds of 65-85 MPH. Is that what most have experienced? I would think an accurate speedo would be a fairly simple design, so kind of surprises me???

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I will post this link for a change before one of the moderators does it.
http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/62688-yes-we-know-your-speedo-10%-out.html

Your post here will probably disappear soon.

They are not trying to be mean to you, just saving space because the topic has been covered by previous posts elsewhere- ad infinitum.

And due to litigation over speeding tickets all vehicle manufactures have their speedos reading on the "safe" side of the posted limit these days [checked your car lately?].

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. When you are new to the forum, you have no idea about the history of topics on this forum. Looks like it is a known issue and that 80 mph really means 75. But the problem I really have with it is the bike is actually registering MORE miles traveled than reality. So, when you go to sell the bike with XXXX miles on the speedo, it is actually a lot less!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks. When you are new to the forum, you have no idea about the history of topics on this forum. Looks like it is a known issue and that 80 mph really means 75. But the problem I really have with it is the bike is actually registering MORE miles traveled than reality. So, when you go to sell the bike with XXXX miles on the speedo, it is actually a lot less!!
I have read on these forums that, while the speedometer is off by 8%, the odometer is off by only 2%, so it may not be as bad as you think judging from the speedometer.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
You would need to measure that separately as it may not be the case that the distance is out, even though the speed is out.

You need to check it against an exact measured mile [or in our case in Oz, a kilometre. We have sections of main highways that are signposted by the road authorities with exact measurements in 1 kilometre increments for 5 kilometres].

Having the speed read low is a bonus for us here as we are plagued by both fixed and mobile speed cameras as well as police with speed radar guns.
All in the name of "road safety" you understand? [yeah, right. Then why have statistics shown that they do nothing to slow speeding motorists or reduce the road toll? Government revenue is going gang busters though :fineprint: ].

Oh, and no one really believes the miles travelled that show on the speedo anyway do they :confused:
They are often "spun back" by unscrupulous dealers and private sellers. :yesnod:

I go buy my personal inspection and "feel" of any second hand bike or other vehicle I'm looking at buying.
And I look for other tell-tale signs the vehicle has more "wear" on seats-armrests-door panels [cars]-hand grips- footpegs-gear lever etc. [bikes].

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I have read on these forums that, while the speedometer is off by 8%, the odometer is off by only 2%, so it may not be as bad as you think judging from the speedometer.
Those figures are about right for my bike (the 650), depending on the front tire diameter and wear. Speedo and odo pickup is from the counter shaft on the 1k.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Speedometer

My 2007 speedo reads 9-10% high and the odometer reads 2&1/2-3% high. Don't let Suzuki screw you out of waranty service without taking into consideration the odometer error.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I wonder if my post will count if this thread is deleted? :biggrinjester:

But the speedo error is annoying. The odometer is more annoying. Wold be nice to change with a Yosh box. Our 2009 Camry, 2003 RAM 2500 and 1999 Old 88 are all within 2 MPH. I have been told Harleys are this close. So North American built vehicles seem to be closer.

·
Registered
672 Posts
My 06 Buell Uly was very accurate. As was my Goldwing, wife's, BMW F650GS, and her Buell SCG, all accurae enough. Seems to be designed to be off. How patronizing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm shocked to read that there are actually bikes out there that have accurate spedo's. I have yet to own a bike that is. Counting 5 (well 4 since I never actually tested the Nighthawk as it died before I had the chance) so far and each one has been off by aprox 10%. According to my math the Wee is off by aprox 11%.

You can get a speedo healer or just live with it like most (at least I think) do. I would rather spend the $ on other farkles. But I do agree that it should be accurate. My 06 Jetta was also off, can't recall by how much now. Took it to the dealer and they said it was within their specs and they would not fix it.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Australian ADR, motor vehicle compliance and registration regulations allow vehicle manufacturers to have an error margin of 10%

I'm happy knowing my speedo reads higher than the actual speed I'm doing, this means all I have to do is ride past speed cameras with my speedo reading the posted speed limit and I will actually be under the limit thus avoiding a ticket. :fineprint:

·
Registered
302 Posts
You can get a speedo healer or just live with it like most (at least I think) do. I would rather spend the $ on other farkles. But I do agree that it should be accurate.
Be aware that if you go with a Speedo Healer and adjust for the ~8% inaccuracy of the speedo, your odometer will then be off.

The better solution, IMO, is the recalibrated speedo gauge face sold by raceratb. This corrects the speedo error without affecting the odometer (plus it's cheaper).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts