StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have changed to gearing on my '02 DL1000 and the speedometer was no longer reading even close to accurate. I do have a GPS and a Sigma bicycle speedometer that provide the correct speed readings but I wanted the motorcycle speedometer to be closer to accurate and the same for odometer.

On this list I found a link to an item called a SpeedoDRD by a company called 12oclocklabs. I looked at their website and felt there item would fill my needs. I ordered the unit on the internet on Sunday and received the unit on Thursday the same week. On their website they have a correction calculator to simplify the correction process and you can even print out the setup for your specific adjustment.

I installed the unit on Thursday and took the bike for a ride and the speedometer in now dead on for MPH from 10 up to at least 85 mph. I was only able to check to that speed due to road limitations at that time. I would expect that the accuracy is good at higher speeds. Also, since the unit is reprogrammable, if I change the gearing, I can readjust the unit for the new gearing change. Good Stuff.

The odometer is closer to accurate than it was but not as accurate as the speedometer. I guess you cannot have it both ways.

Since the unit has a 3 year warranty, I feel that it is money well spent.

Here is a link to their website: http://www.12oclocklabs.com/

Ride Safe

Mike

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Why would you say that. :thumbdown:Are we not aloud to post info on products we like?
I apologize, It is my natural reaction from years of being on forums, if a user comes and makes a first post with a link I usually regard it as spam.

Either way if the original poster is truly are a consumer just plugging a good product then thank you :)

·
38,048 Posts
Every night, we get a number of far East spam posts so we are sensitive to product links on first posts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Price is reasonable. Looks like a simple install. If I ever watched my speedometer I might consider getting one.
Other than the first post, wonder if anyone else has tried this?

What are the other options for speedometer corrections?
My unit is off about 5 MPH from low to high

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I wanna know how to correct both the speedometer and the odometer.

So how much is the little circuit board and how does it get installed? Go it pictures. We like pictures.

It is $80 and they have installation instructions.

·
38,048 Posts
Since the odo and speedo run off the same signal and are in the neighborhood of 8% different in their variance, it would be very difficult to correct both.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
If you correct speedo the ODO will be off,, Not true
There was a big debate on the speedohealer on the GSXR list,
I checked ,checked and double checked everything on my GSXR 1000,
I have not done this on any other bike,,,,,
But what we came up with is the Speedo is off but the ODO, IS DEAD ON
easy to check with mile markers or a GPS, I did both,,,,
The rule of thought was if you correct the speedo the ODO will be off....
But check with the Speedohealer people,,, You correct the MPH and the ODO is still dead on,,, And I went through a lot of gearing changes...
Mike

·
Registered
194 Posts
Odometer & Speedometer differences

Since the odo and speedo run off the same signal and are in the neighborhood of 8% different in their variance, it would be very difficult to correct both.

On my K7, the speedometer reads 7.2% high whereas the odometer reads 2% high relative to my Garmin GPS. I had though that the ration between the two would be the same ratio for all Stroms no matter what tires were used.

·
38,048 Posts
There is variance in reports. That may be due to the reporters rather than the hardware but may also involve using various brands of tires. I've never done any speedo work myself and am only passing along what has been nearly universally reported up until now. What I have noticed myself is my 650 speedo reports 82mph when the GPS reports 75mph and the odometer reading does not match the GPS.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I got a GPS and a speedohealer on my 04 DL1000, I will check it out next time I am killing some time and report back,,,
I am headed up to Lubbock, Texas Sunday but whats right on one bike is not what the other bike will do, Or something like that,,,
Mike

·
Registered
80 Posts
I read that from the factory the odometer is accurate and the speedo is off, and the speedohealer messes with the odometer.

I don't care much either about my speed, except to keep it reasonably around the speed limit in risky areas. Using 5 mph as the rule-of-thumb shift for anything between 40 and 80 is accurate enough for me (I think on my bike this assumption is most accurate around 50 mph, where my bike reads 55). This assumption becomes more conservative the faster I go. I like the odometer to be accurate, though. So I don't really have any interest in the speedohealer or anything like it.

It boggles my mind that this inaccuracy exists in the first place on a bike that has been around so long. One of these years, they will correct it and call it an improvement for that model year (a lot like what Microsoft does!).

·
38,048 Posts
It's common for speedos to be somewhat optimistic, probably for legal reasons.

·
Registered
251 Posts
speedo

isnt the speedo driven by the front wheel? I dont see how a gearing change can change the instrument. I have a 17 tooth front sprocket and my speedo is reading the same (compared to the gps) as it always has. Curt

·
38,048 Posts
DL650 speedos/odos are driven off the front wheel. DL1000 speedos/odos are driven off the rear drive train.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've also heard that the odometer was generally pretty close, but the speed was usually pretty optimistic. I noticed this on a trip when I had a brief opportunity to get up over 100mph (according to the Weestrom's speedometer) for about 30 seconds, only to have my GPS report that my top speed had only been 89mph.

There is a low-tech solution that involves no electronic shenanigans. There's a guy (Austin Burge) that makes replacement speedometer faces - the actual printed numbers. He's researched the average error (I think it's 8% high?) and drawn up a replica of the Weestrom (and Vstrom) speedometer face, corrected for the speedo error. You just have to remove the instrument cluster, pull the speedometer needle (something about prying with spoons - I didn't really read the instructions) then remove the old face (two screws) and put on the new face. Button everything up, and folks are reporting good results. They look like the stock gauges, but his are either mph only or kph only - he doesn't seem to offer a dual-standards face like the factory-installed one. He also offers white gauge faces, (speed+tach) but many of them seem to be sold out.

I have no personal experience with this product, but I was thinking of trying it at some point. It's certainly not going to be as precise as an electronic solution like the Speedo-Healer, but it's simpler, cheaper, won't mess with your odometer, and may get your speedometer a little closer to reality.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts