StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Anybody can say if the speedometer is accurate or a bit overspeed as it is for the old and the new 650 ?
It's been on my list to confirm but without a GPS mounted yet I cannot say, but based on observation so far I suspect it is a bit overspeed.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The 2012+ overstates speed by about 7.5 percent. I installed a SpeedoDRD over the winter and input a -7.5% adjustment. It now matches Garmin speed and those radar signs exactly. It will take some time to unlearn the habit of estimating an 8% adjustment in my head while riding. I can sure use the mental bandwidth!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
6,383 Posts
Using GPS my 2010 WeeStrom speedometer indicates 108kph (67mph) at a true 100kph (62mph), over stating by 8%, on stock Trailwings.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Cycle World tested the VEE2 in this month's mag. 60mph indicated was actually 56mph.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Good to know - it felt like it was reading a skosh high.

dkayak, I wonder how to tell if that gizmo would be applicable to the Vee2? Any guess what the odds might be? EDIT: probably best to ask 'em directly now that I found 'em, thanks for the lead!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
There's a lot of info on these devices on the forum. Most users seem very pleased. Took me a while to cough up $70 just to fix an 8% error but now that it's done I appreciate it a lot, more so than expected. Very easy to install and program too. GW provided excellent guidance on finding and opening the wiring connector. Vee2 may use a different one. The mfr can tell you.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
It seems to me that most, if not all bikes have the speedo error built in. And, tho I have queried this extensively I have never stumbled on the real reason why. Government conspiracy? Subtle way of keeping our speed down? Who knows. But it is so common that it has to be built in deliberately.
All to our ongoing annoyance. :furious:

·
Registered
865 Posts
It seems to me that most, if not all bikes have the speedo error built in. And, tho I have queried this extensively I have never stumbled on the real reason why. Government conspiracy? Subtle way of keeping our speed down? Who knows. But it is so common that it has to be built in deliberately.
In many countries they can't sell you a motor / bike with an under-reading speedo, so it's easier to sell one which does over-read. I guess it's so that if you keep below the posted speed limit as indicated on your speedo, then you can't be breaking the limit.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I know most speedometers on bikes are overly optimistic. I have yet to calibrate with my gps, I find myself all too often flying along at 140-150kph according to my speedo.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Anybody contacted 12oclock Labs yet? They don't list the '14 1000A, and I don't see how it would connect. From what I can see the ECU gets the speed signal from the same wheel speed sensors that the ABS and TC use.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
There is a pink/white wire going to the speedo from the ECM. That is the color of every other speed sensor wire to the speedo on all other V-Stroms. I'll bet putting a SpeedoDRD in a separation of that wire along with power and ground wire connections would work fine. There is no connector to separate and plug into though.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I go 70 everywhere on this thing and get passed by little old ladies in Buicks. I know it's every bit of 5mph off. I don't need to check it with a GPS lol.

·
Registered
440 Posts
There is a pink/white wire going to the speedo from the ECM. That is the color of every other speed sensor wire to the speedo on all other V-Stroms. I'll bet putting a SpeedoDRD in a separation of that wire along with power and ground wire connections would work fine. There is no connector to separate and plug into though.
GW, is this it on a 2013 650? I can barely get my fingers on it. It's going to be a bear to get apart.

Attachments

·
38,103 Posts
That's it. Squeeze the part where the wires enter in the picture so the tab on the left center is depressed and the two halves will come apart.

·
Registered
440 Posts
That's it. Squeeze the part where the wires enter in the picture so the tab on the left center is depressed and the two halves will come apart.
Thanks! You are a tremendous resource on this board. I appreciate your time.

I got 'er done and programmed. I will take her out in the morn with GPS attached to test. It was reading 8% fast, consistently.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Sent them a query today.
And here's their reply:

Only model U1 will work with that bike because the speed signal can only be intercepted and calibrated between the ECU controller and the Gauge cluster for the 2014 version of that bike, but it's still a fairly easy install, 4 wires to connect [power, ground, signal in, signal out] and your finished.

Pity, as I don't fancy attacking the electrical harness on my £10 000 bike, best I ride with the GPS on the bike.

·
38,103 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. I put about 20 miles on my last new bike to make sure it was working all right. Then it spent two weeks on the lift in a bare bones state getting wired and modified while the painted portions were out getting yellow.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
That approach makes a lot of sense, especially if you already have all of your modifications identified, materials purchased, and want to change colors. It does require a little patience re: delayed gratification. Great off season project.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts