StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a simple story, really. The Vee's speedometer error was driving me bonkers, and I wanted to change my gearing, which would increase the error and make me even more crazy.

Fortunately, there are two competing widgets that help fix this problem -- the SpeedoDRD and the Speedo Healer.

The SpeedoDRD is $70 shipped from MotoMummy.com , whereas the Speedo Healer is $114.99 + shipping from several vendors.

The Speedo Healer is physically a bit bigger and arguably better protected -- the DRD is a tiny circuit board sealed inside a plastic tube. Other than that, programming either one is quite easy (the Speedo Healer is supposedly a bit easier), and they both function identically -- the intercept the pulses coming from your speed sensor and generate pulses faster or slower by whatever percentage you wish.

If you want a more thorough comparison, the Speedo Healer folks have posted a comparison chart that's a bit heavy on the snark and innuendo. I didn't see anything that justified the $45+ cost difference, so I installed a SpeedoDRD last night and it works great. My Vee's speedometer is now dead accurate. :thumbup:

Installation was a bit of a pain because the connector was buried along the left frame rail, just about at the back edge of the airbox. So the tupperware and tank had to come off, which is annoying. (One of these days, I swear I'm a-gonna shitcan all that useless rattling plastic...)

Highly recommended! :thumbup:

·
Registered
751 Posts
+1 I put one on my Vee. I was very happy with the result.

·
$tromtrooper [belated]
120 Posts
+1. over a year with mine. Recommended

·
Registered
553 Posts
OK, you convinced me. :thumbup: I've just been adding 5 MPH to the posted speed on the speedo and figured it was "Close enough". So far it's been OK but let's face it that's never going to be real accurate. Heading over to order especially at $9.99 discount. It's too early for me to calculate % discount.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just had my tank and air box off for my dobeck TFI fueler install, and can't tell from the explanation where this goes on bike?? If i have an Ivan's TRE,, can i still use this speedo adjuster?? thanks guys!!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just had my tank and air box off for my dobeck TFI fueler install, and can't tell from the explanation where this goes on bike?? If i have an Ivan's TRE,, can i still use this speedo adjuster?? thanks guys!!
The Ivan's TRE plugs into the gear position switch using a triangular connector. This connector is under the rear tank support.

The SpeedoDRD uses a rectangular connector that plugs into the connector for the speed sensor on the front sprocket cover. You can follow the wire for the speed sensor up from the sensor. On my bike, this was on the inside of the left frame rail, near the bottom left rear corner of the airbox. I did not have to remove the airbox, but it was a bit of a tight squeeze. It would be very easy to plug in with the airbox out of the way.

Once it's connected, the actual SpeedoDRD circuit board is sealed inside a plastic tube at the end of a wire about 18 inches long. You can position this in many places. Since they sternly warn to keep the wires away from the ignition components, I elected to run mine forward (it would be close to the rear spark plug wire if I ran it to the rear.)

The circuit board "capsule" is lightly zip-tied to the clutch hydraulic line at the steering head. It's not visible when riding, but it's out of the way and I can reach it easily if I feel the need to recalibrate or recall my max speed.

Yes, you can use the SpeedoDRD and Ivan's TRE together -- they perform different functions and plug in to different places. I have both. :hurray:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I too have been adding 5 MPH to my current speed but am soon changing gearing and was dreading the math. This will fix that issue, thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sweet!!! thankyou Bw from indy!!!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
62 Posts
SpeedoDRD

My 03 was off by 10%, so when it was reading 80 mph, the GPS was reading 72 mph. It made me crazy too! Particularly on a trip through Canada, since I couldn't read the kph numbers, I had to make calculations in my head and then conversions to metric; I gave up looking at the speedo.

Not wanting to do that again I put a SpeedoDRD on my bike in June before setting out for Cape Bretton. I set it to the GPS, and it stays with the GPS at all speeds!!

But, my gas mileage took a big hit. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Are you guys aware that the speedo and odo have different errors ?

Typically the speedo reads 5-10% high and the odo is close to accurate ( plus or minus 3%). So correcting your speedo will make your odo read low

·
Registered
15,408 Posts
So correcting your speedo will make your odo read low
That's one way to keep a low mileage bike!

I was riding with two, count them, (2) GPS and didn't care what the speedo said.
Only accurate odo/speedo on a bike I ever had was the CHP BMW.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Are you guys aware that the speedo and odo have different errors ?

Typically the speedo reads 5-10% high and the odo is close to accurate ( plus or minus 3%). So correcting your speedo will make your odo read low

Yes, I was well aware of that.

If you're someone anal enough to worry more about the odo readings than the massive speedo error, then you shouldn't get a speedo corrector, and you're probably the sort of person who has never exceeded a speed limit or farted in public anyway. :biggrinjester:

With 77K + miles on the bike, I don't give a crap about the odometer readings, but the wonky speedo readings were driving me nuts on every ride.

The speedos on our Toyotas are both very close (they read just 1 or 2 mph high) and the speedo on my old GS850 is dead on for some reason. Having one vehicle with a large error is doubly annoying. (My KLR650's speedo reads about 6% - 7% high, but it's so slow that I rarely bother looking at the speedo anyway.)

If you have a later model DL1000 with stock gearing, you may still be able to get one of those gauge faces where the numbers are moved around to better match reality. This would preserve the odo's accuracy as well, but both would still be thrown off by gearing changes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
While experimenting with various gearing ratios I simply used stick on white numbers from Office Depot - 2, 4, 6, 8, & 1. Very easy to apply and to use. Price is right. At night the stick ons are about impossible to read but work very well in daylight.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I just ride at speeds I feel comfortable with. Not too worried about the speedo being 8% off. There are meds for that :mrgreen: Actually I'd rather have an accurate odometer because that's my refueling guide.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I may yet get something to correct my speedometer, but for now I did someting else.

I'm not interested in knowing my exact speed, but am interested in how my speed compares to the speed limit.

I decided to mark for three speed limits: 60, 80 and 100 KPH. I allow myself a 10 KPH increase over the limit as a norm, under good conditions. My speedo indicates 10% high (checked with a GPS).

I cut some 1/8 inch wide pieces of orange tape, which I mounted radially on my speedometer: a short one at a indicated 77 KPH, a medium length at 99 KPH, and a longer one at 121 KPH; indicating actual speeds of 70, 90 and 110 KPH.

This gives me really quick visual feedback. If I decide to go faster or slower than my 10 KPH over norm, I eyeball it. If the speed limit is 50, 70 or 90 KPH, that's easy to eyeball as well. (halfway between the tapes is an additional 10 KPH, close enough).

I could add another for an actual 120 KPH, my usual (though not maximum!) speed on Ontario 400 series highways, but can eyeball that quite well without the extra tape. I feel that three pieces of tape is enough for a quick-read. If I rode the super slab a lot (if I lived nearer Toronto - arrgh!), I'd add another line.

The tape shows up at night as it's a bit translucent to light from behind.

Works for me.

·
Registered
553 Posts
The SpeedoDRD uses a rectangular connector that plugs into the connector for the speed sensor on the front sprocket cover. You can follow the wire for the speed sensor up from the sensor. On my bike, this was on the inside of the left frame rail, near the bottom left rear corner of the airbox. I did not have to remove the airbox, but it was a bit of a tight squeeze. It would be very easy to plug in with the airbox out of the way.
Can anyone confirm if the connector may be in roughly the same place on a 2011 Wee?? I pulled off the side panels and attempted to look for the connector, before re-reading the above description, and can't seem to see it. I admit I have not yet pulled all the other plastic however. I'm trying to locate the exact connector as on my S1 SpeedoDRD.

Thanks,

Rick

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Bwringer has a DL1000. Look between the regulator/rectifier and the front cylinder throttle body on the DL650.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'll guess that I'll continue to use my GPS for my speedo needs. I've been doing this from day one. I have a Garmin 550 and the speedo is dead on to actual speeds (radar verified by a LEO buddy). It only cost me $100 and I get the added benefit of navagation.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yep, thanks greywolf. I still had to look around. Basically on the 650 I followed the speedo wire from the front wheel where it disappeared over and behind the radiator. I finally saw the connector you pointed out and had to unbolt the regulator/rectifier so I had slightly more room to get my hand in there. Ran the device wire back over and up the right side of the cowling. This did force me to remove the cowling....I only have two "extra" screws. Just took it out to compare to my GPS and within about 1 MPH up to 60.

I only have two extra screws left over. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts