StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im on a multi state ride and my speedometer just went whacky and now shows zero mph. All functions normal except speed and odometer functions. Maybe I'll find a dealer in Nashville when I get there. Ideas?

·
Registered
244 Posts
"I'm sorry officer. I honestly don't know how fast I was going."

And think, 'THANK YOU SUZUKI FOR THE EXCUSE!'

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With all the speed traps in GA on I-75 that might be handy! :green_lol:
I'm wondering if the sensor is at the front sprocket, could it be fouled by lube or moisture?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
You need a DVM to test it. Probably 3 wires and one wire "pulses" 12VDC.

I've heard of the center bolt on the rotor coming loose and cracking the cover on the SV's.

It's easy to take the black plastic cover off and look around.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same thing happened to me and I had posted here in a panic ! After I took it in, it ended up being a lace that got wrapped around the sensor !! Same outcome. Speedometer and odometer not working but everything else on the dash functional. after the lace was removed, it took a few miles then all started working again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same thing happened to me and I had posted here in a panic ! After I took it in, it ended up being a lace that got wrapped around the sensor !! Same outcome. Speedometer and odometer not working but everything else on the dash functional. after the lace was removed, it took a few miles then all started working again.
Lace? We found some weird blackened fiber falling out of the cover when we removed it. What is that all about? Think that's it? (I didn't take a photo of the fiber)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep !! A lace got chopped off my shoe when going around the block to show off the bike ! Grateful I wasn't wearing Kevlar laces as my foot would of taken a beating. The sensor thing only occurred about a month later !! I was the talk of the day at the repair shop !!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know if I lost some string or something, but after reassembly, no fix. Hmm... The sensor cable takes a bit of a bend immediately outside it's black plastic housing. I'd test voltage but I don't know proper procedure to keep insulation intact.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Should be under warranty ! That's why I took mine to the dealer in the first place. I'm also not mechanically gifted . But again, it strangely started working about 30-40 miles after the lace was removed. I was just about to order a sensor from the dealer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Should be under warranty ! That's why I took mine to the dealer in the first place. I'm also not mechanically gifted . But again, it strangely started working about 30-40 miles after the lace was removed. I was just about to order a sensor from the dealer.

The mystery becomes more (or less) strange... It started working again and has worked all day today. Love to know the cause of such unpredictable disfunction.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hello,

I had a similar problem right after I got my '12... the negative battery terminal was loose... they apparently did not tighten it when installing the battery at the shop... after tightening, all is fine...

--John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Happy to hear its working again. Its an annoying thing to have not functioning .Mine has worked ever since it mysteriously restarted. Maybe whatever was interfering with the sensor was removed when you pulled it out and put it back in !! Like mine it kicked in suddenly a little while after. Mines Been working ever since and I even did a 1300 mile trip. Knock on wood.

Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
mine just doesnt work anymore, everything else works on the cluster but the speedometer. i had the cluster changed with no results, checked all wires from the sensor, everything seems fine, it use to be not working on occasions but now it just dont work no more, what to check next?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Did you check the wire visually or electrically? If there is electrical continuity and the instrument cluster has been replaced, the sensor would seem to be the likely culprit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts