StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I just put one on my V. Installation was easy, specially because I had the fairings, gas tank and intake box off the bike. Don't have things back together yet but calibration seems straightforward enough.

I got mine because I'm also installing a 43T rear sprocket. Why are you looking at one, just to correct speedo error?

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
mokusbajusz said:
Doesn't the signal come from the front wheel hub for the speedo on the 1K than on the wee?
Nope, signal generator is part of the countershaft sprocket cover on the BIG boys bike. :)

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
mokusbajusz said:
Now I see the relation between the sprocket change and the speedo correction.
Thanks for the clear explanation, Heavy!

BTW is that your finger on the pic? :D
Nope, not my finger. I'd use a different one for you. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Yup, that's why I am going to the 43T rear. Keeps the odd number of teeth on the sprocket (which is supposed to help wear) and lowers the overall gearing to a point that 6th should be more useable. My wife and I rode 2,000 kms last week and I found I only used 6th on the interstate, when criusing at higher speeds, on flat or downhill sections. Anything below 4,000 rpms in 6th, with the load we had, and the bike really felt like it was working too hard.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just put one on my V. Installation was easy, specially because I had the fairings, gas tank and intake box off the bike. Don't have things back together yet but calibration seems straightforward enough.

I got mine because I'm also installing a 43T rear sprocket. Why are you looking at one, just to correct speedo error?
I just got a SpeedoHealer and am looking at the diagrams for the Strom installation on their website.

I'm looking back and forth between the SpeedoHealer harness and the pictures and it doesn't seem the harness is anywhere near long enough for the position they put the SpeedoHealer unit. In fact they have so much harness cable they loop it below the unit.

Did you intall it in the location as per the instructions?

Also can you please tell me what calculation figure you used? I managed to borrow a PDA GPS for a day but it was not the best GPS out there. The speed indication was hard to read on the small PDA screen and it it fluctuated too much. I got a rough calculation of 6% high at 100kph, so -6 for the SpeedoHealer.

Was the harness plenty long enough to reach the speedometer connection?

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I don't remember where they suggested to install it, but I stuck mine to the side of the underseat storage area. I'd already used up much of the space for my aux fuse block and it fit perfect. I figured that it being under the seat might help keep it from the weather. If I recall, I used a 10% correction factor on mine. I sort of aimed at the mid point between speedo accuracy and odo accuracy. Didn't bother with a GPS, figured the stock error was around 8% (from what people have said) and the 43T sprocket gave me about another 5% error. Used 10% correction which means my speedo is still about 3% high but my odo now reads about 10% low (bonus when it comes time to sell it).

Here, I went and took a picture, just for you...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks heaps Heavy for the quick and informative reply. I have my fuse block in the exact same position so will look at putting the Healer where you have.

I notice you have the Healer harness going to the right side. Is the speedo connector on the right side of the DL1000K6? Did you have to remove the tank to get to it?

I might stick with 6% for now until I can borrow/buy a good GPS. I have gone through all the threads in the Strom forums on speed inaccuracy and the figures fluctuate a bit. Just on 100kph indicated for a DL1000 (all models) I have read actual speeds of anywhere from 92 to 97kph based on GPS.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I know that you are on the other side of the world but the harness is going to the left side. In the picture, the front of the bike is to the left. The connector is behind the frame spar on the left. When I installed mine I had the tank and plastic off to add a bunch of farkles. I don't know if you could do it without the tank off, never considered it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I installed mine with the tank still in place, but I did remove the left side plastic. Prior to my gearing change, I showed a speedo reading of 108 when my GPS read 100. So -7.4% should be close.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts