StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick Q:

I just switched the front spocket from the stock 17T to 16T on my DL1000 K5. Will this affect the speedometer reading? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yes it will, you will find your speedometer now reads even higher than it did before. Time to mount a GPS up there because you're going to be waaaaay off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I thought the speedo was higher than normal on my way into work this morning! I really like the lower gearing, though.

Next Q: get a speedo healer or spluge on a GPS. Which is better? I do have a radar shelf that is depressingly baren....

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Stone the crows!

I think our mate from down under was pulling your leg, marble townsman.

The speedometer is driven from a wheel, so the sprocket and the position of the gearshift have no effect on the speed displayed. Understand that our stock speedometers are none too accurate at highway speeds.

Perhaps a 16-tooth front sprocket will make you ride faster. It all depends on your personal style. I went up from 15 teeth to 16 teeth on my Wee-Strom, and I think I burn less fuel than I did. For me, that is good, because I contemplate some rides where I go 380 kilometers between pumps!

There are several ways to deal with the stock speedometer's inaccuracies. I use my right wrist.

Keith

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
I think our mate from down under was pulling your leg, marble townsman.

The speedometer is driven from a wheel, so the sprocket and the position of the gearshift have no effect on the speed displayed. Understand that our stock speedometers are none too accurate at highway speeds.
He has a 1000 which has a speed sensor down near the clutch slave. The Wee uses the front wheel which is better with regards to gearing changes since it is, as you stated, unaffected by changing sprockets.

They tried the front wheel sensor on the Vee but found that it didn't work well since the front wheel spends a lot of time off the ground :bom_laugh4:

(Ducking now...)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That does clear up my confusion regarding Keith's reply. Having the speed sensor read off the smaller front sprocket would result in a higher reading (as the front sprocket is now spinning faster for the same speed). Anyway, what do you guys think in terms of a solution? I would really like to know how fast I'm going. I really don't need any more speeding tickets!:(

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
I use the dash screen from my Garmin 2720. I have the stock sprockets and my speedo reads fast (61 indicated = 55 actual mph). If you know someone with a GPS, have them pace you at a set speed, then you'll know how far off you are. This would be the easiest and cheapest solution.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Get a GPS

Go ahead and get a GPS. I have been riding since 1978 and this is one thing that is necessary if you are doing a lot of traveling. I won't go into details why its so great, but anyone that has one will tell you how much they like it and can't do without it.

Google 'Edge Navigation' and take a look at what they have. They sell refurbished units along with new units. I bought a Garmin 2610, refurbished, with factory warranty for under $200. No matter which on you get, make sure its water proof.

·
Administrator
13,558 Posts
I have not used them, but many 1000 owners have a Speedohealer. Thsi changes the signals that go to the speedometer so that you can make your Speedomter read accurately.

Dod a google search and you wil find the manufacturer as well as distributers.

..Tom

That does clear up my confusion regarding Keith's reply. Having the speed sensor read off the smaller front sprocket would result in a higher reading (as the front sprocket is now spinning faster for the same speed). Anyway, what do you guys think in terms of a solution? I would really like to know how fast I'm going. I really don't need any more speeding tickets!:(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, everyone, for the replies. Looks like it's time to go spend some money.... :cool:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I was planning on getting a Speedo Healer, but I just used the money towards a GPS. A 16t will throw that speedo off pretty bad, and the faster you go, the worse it is. I think it's about 9mph most of the time on my 1000 with the 16t front.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I just did the same thing and put on a Speedohealer and went -13% to get to my GPS reading.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Motorcycle speedometers HAVE to read high. Some countries / states / jurisdictions (not sure of the areas) have laws that speedometers can read high but they cannot read low.

Calculating speed on a motorcycle traveling in a straight line is simple. Doesn't matter where the speedo is driven from, wheel or gearbox, the math is pretty much the same. BUT when a bike goes into a curve and leans over it is running off the center of the tires. The radius is slightly less so one revolution of the wheel (or the gearbox) is slightly less distance traveled. The speedos are set so that they read high in a straight line so that they will NEVER read low in a curve regardless of the lean angle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts