StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bored this morning before I leave to play softball si I had to post,

Last week I am riding on CR466, just west of The Villages in central Florida. The speed limit goes from 55 to 45 to 35, all within 100 yards. Usually there a 5 to 6 large trucks on this road so staying well under the limit is the norm. That morning, no traffic, cruising about 55 I look up and see the 35 MPH sign, I just release the throttle and drop down to 50 as I pass the 35 MPH, open road, no traffic, no nothing, except a motorcycle cop hiding under a tree. YES YOU ARE CORRECT, a $180.00 speeding ticket.
In 50+ years of riding a motorcycle (I am 60) from mini bikes to HD and now my favorite, the DL1000, having NEVER been stopped on a motorcycle, this [email protected]#$%, sorry, this cop writes me for 53 in a 35.
No chat, just a smirk and a ticket. I know I was not in the right but maybe a warning would have been better. ( I know the speedo is off so I always allow for this)
Went to school (online) and paid my ticket. Several riders said I should have took it to court, but riding is more fun than court.
There goes some new farkle I could have gotten.

Now that felt better, thanks for listening, off to ride, under the limit this time, but that sure sucks.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Cpope, congratultions on 50 years of ticket free riding. May the next 50 years be as sucessful. You should be proud and hold your head up high, not many people can manage such a feat.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Get a radar detector, it has saved me lots of tickets.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
805gregg said:
Get a radar detector, it has saved me lots of tickets.
805gregg which detector do you run? and how have you mounted it to the Strom??

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ouch!!! But it is hard to keep a Vee reined in ya know!!!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Charlie,

I've had been pretty much the same - ticket free.

Then it happened. I was on my way down to Polk County to visit a friend that was laid up with some back surgery. As I was riding down US 27, there was a big accident - probably a fatality. Traffic was stopped and no one was moving. I was on my KLR650 that day. Not a problem, at least I thought so. I made a turn at a road, then went up to the edge of the orange grove and started riding past the accident scene almost 50 yards away from the roadway!

A six foot tall male apendage dressed in a Polk County Sheriff's uniform wrote me a ticket for - get this - Illegal Passing! He claimed the right of way, up to the orange grove was state's property, and thus it was the same as riding on the shoulder.

To fight it would have cost me at least two days off from work. I just sent in the $$$$ and got over the injustice!

Now, I have heard that if you send in the money - only works if you deal in a check - for your fine and add about $3 to it, then when they send you a check for a refund, do not cash it. For some reason the logic of the program used will not credit you with the points and put it on you MVR.

I have simply heard this, have never tried it. But for $3, if I ever get another ticket, I'm going to try it.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Sounds pretty dumb to me but even if you were breaking the law the Leo should have been happy to see you go away and be one less vehicle/person at the scene. A little discretion can be a good thing.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now that's a Alpha Male Cop for you. Many, many years ago we would ride dirt bikes along side th road without a problem. It seems like the LEO would have better things to do.

I have also heard about the $3.00 over paid, sounds like it would make sence. They can't clear their books spo nothing will get filed and at the end of the year it gets round files, they have their money so they are happy.

Being in LE for 22 years I never could see a reason to make things harder on the normal person. There's enough dirt bags to spend our time with.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Cpope, are you still in LE or retired ??

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WW, Been retired since 1986, wow, that sounds like a very long time.
Was in the US Coast Guard for 22 years (yes thats makes me very old, 60 next year) When I screwed up and ash for LE school they knew they had me. 18 out of 22 years Drug Enforcement was my call, worked with Customs and FMP more than the Coast Guard. Met some great people and Drug Enforcement on the water was fun.
But now I just enjoy riding my DL1000 and HD Classic and playing softball. I just won't tell you about the house work I do each week because the wife still works and she never complains about me just playing.

What about you? Sounds LE to me.

T

·
0 Posts
I understand it happens to the best of us. Happened to me twice in 13 years here in California. I don't consider myself one of "the best," but I'm not a scofflaw, either.

Ferget it and ride like you always have, because it has pretty much worked.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Cpope, glad you are retired and living to the fullest everyday. I am sure you made a difference over the years to a lot of people even if they didn't say thank you. Law enforcement is a very thankless job that all too many could never do successfully. You are obviously in a league of your own and I thank you for being there along side the other LEO's.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks WW, I do hear that once in a while and it always makes me feel good. Thanks again.
We just need to keep giving thanks for the young kids now that are trying very hard to protect this world.

Get to Florida and I buy the beer. I would come up there but it is to damn cold. :D

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Cpope, it is actually quite nice here in the winter. Squamish is normally a bit warmer than Vancouver and a lot warmer than Edmonton, Alberta where I used to live and work. Winters here are wet rather than being cold. Would love to visit your neck of the woods one day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts