StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently just switched to a pair of Heidenau K60s (yesterday) because I heard good things about them. Apparently you can't go over 65 mph on them... I've never had a speed wobble until today on I-25 in Colorado. I was riding how I always ride and the bike never felt secure below me above 65. I'm sitting here and I can still feel the constant wobble I got when passing our being passed by vehicles. At one point however I switched lanes and a bigger wobble formed and the bike started to wobble more and more and then the person in front of me put the brakes on and I had to go to the shoulder to ride it out.

I'm blaming the K60s because that's all that's changed on my bike. Is there anything else it could be? Bike feels fine at other speeds 70 and below.

I have to ride 1,500 miles home starting tomorrow and I am so not looking forward to it on these tyres.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I know somebody on a DL650 (not on this forum) who has experienced this the the K60's, but not other tires.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
My brother has them on his GS. He loves them. I could not feel any wobble on his BMW up into the 75 - 80 mph range, but it has a completely unconventional front suspension.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I just put the K60's on my 2009 dl650 , and have no such wobble , even up to very illegal speeds ( which I would never do , but if someone did , my tires didn't wobble ). The old , worn out tourances they replaced did show a pronounced decel wobble with hands off the bars , which I attributed to loose or worn steering stem bearings ( on the list for this winter ) , but the Heidi's are great .
Have you verified tire pressure ?
Could it be an issue with the bike heavily loaded with gear ?

I guess it's not impossible that you just got a bad tire ?

best of luck , Alex .

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bike is loaded with gear, was loaded with gear the past 3 weeks on the original OEM tyres as well which were perfect.

If they're bad I have nothing to replace them with and would have to ship them back to Revzilla I guess.

But I leave tomorrow morning for Canada... And mailing them from Canada would suck.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Is the front tire running the correct direction or maybe installed backwards?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I agree with BigB and would run 37-38 psi on pavement.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I run mine @ 39 psi but every once in awhile I'll get a little speed wobble out of mine on certain roads mainly freeways were the concrete has worn and the aggregate is exposed. I've though of breaking mine down and rotating it on the rim °180 since the heavy spot wasn't well marked when we mounted mine? I have 6000 miles on mine now and really like them other than the occasional wobble.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I run mine @ 39 psi but every once in awhile I'll get a little speed wobble out of mine on certain roads mainly freeways were the concrete has worn and the aggregate is exposed. I've though of breaking mine down and rotating it on the rim °180 since the heavy spot wasn't well marked when we mounted mine? I have 6000 miles on mine now and really like them other than the occasional wobble.

Even after 6000 miles they're still wobbling?

Should have just got straight up replacements. I liked the stock tyres...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Even after 6000 miles they're still wobbling?

Should have just got straight up replacements. I liked the stock tyres...
I wanted to try get to see if I could get to the root of the problem before I went the replacement route but the occasional wobble doesn't bother me enough I guess? I'm too busy trying to get the fueling fixed to worry about it.:banghead:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I'm going to have to stay around longer and get a new set of OEMs. I'm not willing to ride 1500 miles on tyres I have absolutely no confidence in.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had the K60s on my DL650 for about 2,000 miles now. I love them. Never a speed wobble once and I drive on I-25 all the time (I've had them up to about 90 and they are straight as an arrow).

Where did you have them mounted at? Maybe they didn't get your rear wheel mounted perfectly straight? Have you checked it to make sure it's mounted evenly on both sides of the swingarm (the hash marks)? The dealer (Fay Myers) mounted my last set of tires and they didn't mount the rear wheel evenly and it felt a little wobbly from time to time.

I got my new K60s mounted down at Woody's Wheel Works in Denver and the first thing the tech noticed was that the rear wheel was on crooked.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RevZilla won't accept the tyres back because they're acting within spec and used they say. And recommend Anakee 3s.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts