StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was wondering just how loud the speed sensor is when it acts up. I have read about a lot of people mentioning this noise coming from the front, and all that is mentioned is that it's at the very least - audible... no mention of how loud it can be.

This morning, I decided to take the bike to work (-2C) and began to notice an "old bed spring squeaking" as if someone was bouncing on a loud squeaky bed REALLY fast. This sound happens only at 50km/h plus and nothing below. Now, it's loud. Really loud. I don't think it's the bearings, but heck - it could be, but I am wondering if it's the speed sensor.

So, can it be really that loud? The frequency changes as I go faster too and if I am doing 120 (indicated) it's freaking loud. When the clutch is pulled in, sound is still there - it's coming from the front.

Another thing to note is that I have never taken the bike out when it was this cold - if it matters at all.

Thanks a million.

·
Administrator
13,916 Posts
Mine started off only nroticeable at highway speeds (with earplugs on!) and got progressively louder rover time as I rode. Just give it a quick shot of grease and you will likely have solved the noise.

..Tom

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, it's odd. It just started, mind you I have had the bike in the garage for about 3 days but, as soon as I hopped on, yikes - immediate annoyance.

Ill pop the wheel off tomorrow and try it. It's weird though how something so small down by the hub can make it's presence known like this.

Thanks Tom.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
That's petroleum grease in there, just like the wheel bearings. Stick with that.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hmm... wheel is off. Sensor seems ok. I guess I didn't know what to expect but it's certainly not dry. I just realized I dont have any grease so, I just put everything back together and am off to pick up some/test drive. If it's possible, can anyone tell me just how much should be in there? I know it's rather relative but perhaps it looks good to me when in fact, it's dry after all!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so this is to conclude to anyone poking around that despite your inclination to blame a really really super loud sound coming from the front on something OTHER than the speed sensor, think again. This sound came so suddenly and was so loud, I couldn't understand how and why it could be the speed sensor, but it was.

I never added any grease in there because I didn't have the right stuff, but when I opened it up, it seemed as if the centrifugal force flicked the grease to the sides so I just stuck all of it back to the bottom of there the magnet was. It went away and have since picked up grease for when and if it comes back.

Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts