Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SUZUKI DL650 V-Strom TESTED: Jan '04

Hi ALL,Iam sending this to you all because the 1000cc V-Strom is not the BEE's NEE'S OK, the negative vibes I get from the bigger V-Strom (1000cc) OWNERS is crazy Iam send this report to you all on the 650 its a great bike ok.
The 1000cc V-Strom also a great bike I got the imfo from the two wheels sight its worth a read.STANDING START for the 1000cc bike is ¼ mile 12.75sec @ 110.11mph the 650 is not that far behind see table below.
cheers Julian.
I hope the 1000cc V-Strom owners under stand that the little 650 Strom wont be far behind you in the straight but will get you every time in the BENDS HAHA. I hope a few more 650 riders speak their mind !! CHEERS.

A punchy and endearing motor, outstanding touring ability and great town manners

Very little other than the odd oversight. A lack of performance for some and little in the way of charisma

PERFORMANCE
RIDE
BUILD QUALITY
OVERALL

Suzuki’s V-Strom really does have something to offer riders with a wide range of requirements. On top of its versatility, it’s great fun

The styling we’ve seen already, or a pretty close take on it, as Suzuki’s one litre DL1000 V-Strom has been on sale for a year already, and visually this and the 650 could be twins. The engine is a known quantity too, coming in only lightly modified form from the successful SV650S, while the frame and other mechanicals have been diverted from the DL1000 production line.

Hardly the stuff of banner headlines, is it? But what do you want from your bike? Dramatic magazine features or a fine all-rounder with a punchy and endearing motor, outstanding touring ability and great town manners? If it’s the latter then the 650 V-Strom is for you.

V-Strom project leader Etsuji Kato says the bike is aimed at a wide range of riders, in particular relative novices, women (why are women always grouped together with novices?) and born again riders, but he says it should also appeal to experienced riders.

Sexual stereotypes aside his bike is spot-on. The V-Strom’s ace is its mile-eating ability. Riders who really travel long distances know there is no other factor more restrictive than having to tank up every 100 miles or so. And they’ll love the V-Strom, which combines a reasonable 45mpg (I’m guessing, but it’s pessimistic and based on well known SV650S figures) with a 4.85 gallon (22 litre) fuel capacity, with the result that you can expect to cram 200 miles in between petrol stations.

The 650’s comfort isn’t shaded by big tourers either. Of course the weather protection is reduced, but the small screen and bulky bodywork punch a big enough hole in the atmosphere. The V-Strom’s screen works well. It’s adjustable too, although shifting the screen the full 50mm from lowest to highest requires the use of the underseat toolkit. Simple manual adjustment would be easier.

The bike is outstandingly comfortable, the upright riding stance with its wide bars and low-ish footrests keeping aches and cramps at bay.
The engine plays at tourer very effectively too, partly thanks to slightly lower gearing than the SV650S and some cam profile changes which benefit the mid-range by about five per cent with a small loss in peak horsepower. It’s punchy when overtaking or climbing hills (such as the gaspingly cold Bavarian Alps of the launch), the only downside being a laboured sensation should you rev it from 9000rpm to the 10,500rpm red line. Which as it’s hardly a track bike, no one will.

The Showa suspension offers an especially plush and controlled ride for a low-priced middleweight, controlling the longer than average 150mm of wheel travel at each end effectively, although the bike does dive eagerly under heavy braking. But with the 1000’s stoppers fitted, it does slow to a halt with real force, just what you need when you’re coming back down those steep Alpine passes.

You’ll be reckoning the 650 V-Strom is just a tourer now, but far from it. Like the new wave of soft comfy, do-it-alls from the Aprilia Tuono to Ducati’s Multistrada, that high-up riding position, long suspension legs and general wieldiness make this a very useful sports tool too.

The bitter cold meant that the tyres weren’t gripping convincingly, but the handling was still sharp, the steering neutral and easy and the bike coped well with rapid direction changes. It’s also very stable at high speeds – my faithful GPS told me I’d topped out at 116mph.
Details are mixed, with an appealing dash, excellent if ugly mirrors, and a carrier flush with the passenger seat for easy load attachment.

There are nasty cable ties on the bars, some coolant hoses which ought to be hidden and that adjustment gripe, but on balance this is a fine bike, undemanding yet rewarding to ride with a fat portfolio of abilities.

Looking for a new bike? Check out our online reviews to make sure you buy the best bike for you. Just choose the make and model of bike you're interested in from the options below

Printable Page
Bikes For Sale
Find a Dealer
Send to a Friend

PRICE £5,149
INS GROUP 10
ENGINE 645cc lc V2 cyl
DRY WEIGHT 190kg
TOP SPEED 114.6mph (tested)
STANDING ¼ 13.32sec @ 98.48mph
MAX POWER 72bhp @ 9,000rpm
MAX TORQUE 47lb.ft @ 7,200rpm
SEAT HEIGHT 820mm

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
julian

Thank you for a very nice informative post but please don't think us 1k riders are stupid.
Top speed 114.6 verses 134 - 20 mph faster
Quarter mile 13.32 verses 11.55 (my bike) 1.77 sec. faster quarter mile
Quarter mile speed 98 verses 110+ 12 mph faster
While you may think you would not be far behind, but behind you would be and riders of equal ability, the 1k rider will be there first everytime.
Perhaps you can tell me why the 650 riders are so quick to attempt to imply that they made a better choice. I think most 650 riders bought because they are lacking money in their pockets so they purchase what they can afford, (which I can understand) then because they had to buy a smaller bike they come on forums like this and crow they made a better choice. Yes we 1k riders paid more money but we bought what we wanted so please don't think less of us. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Mortaine................they are lacking money in their pockets........NOT. Had more than enough for a 1000 but my Choice was a 650. Some riders opt for the 650 because of other commitments in life too. Splitting up the cash for more than one passion can be the reason for having a 650. We are not all independently wealthy as you apparently are from your comment, or do you live in one room to support your bike and your only passion. We all make choices for varied reasons.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dear Mortaine,
I bought my 650 V-strom about 2 years ago because at that time their was not one bike that could match it for Value for money as like many owners have found out its a great all rounder does every thing so well & affordable on your hip pocket , as I myself ride my bike to & from work every day of the week.
Looking forward to your well worded reply Julian.
:wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
See what I mean you guys always take offense, its ok for you to sling a lot of bull at the 1k owners but its not ok for us to sling back. You guys bought what you could afford, and or what you wanted, well the 1k owners bought what they could afford and what they wanted. If your happy then I am happy for you but climb down off your pulpit we don't need your preaching. Hell most of you don't even know why or how your bike works. If you want to ride a bike you have to twist the throttle and row the gear box on to make it perform that is your choice, I being lazy by nature don't like to row the gear box to go in a hurry, I like to sit back and just twist the throttle and go. Even Harley riders are less argumentative then you guys and the ones I know are much more fun to be around. Yeah WW I have the money and or credit to buy pretty much what ever I damn well please, but I bought the 1k because it sits like a dirt bike and is so damn ugly that I like it. I have ridden several of your 650's and still opted for the 1k because that is what I like. :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol:

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Each bike is great. Can't we just stop with the 1000 vs. 650 threads? Both has their pluses and minuses when compared to each other. Some 650 owner was the first to post in the 1000 forum trying to flame, then a 1000 owner decided to return the favor in the 650 forum.

Enjoy whatever you own and know that it was the best bike for YOU!!!!

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I bought the 650 because I don't NEED the extra power and weight of the 1000. I saved three grand not buying a 1000 so I could buy the farkles I needed for the 650. If you want or need the little extra power from the 1000, get it. The legal spped limit is still 65mph, so what difference does it make if the 1000 has a higher top speed.

·
Registered
264 Posts
spongebob218 said:
The legal spped limit is still 65mph, so what difference does it make if the 1000 has a higher top speed.
No one does the EXACT speed limit and never go over it, if you say you do your a liar. Some of us like to go to the track and see what our bikes can do. Just because the "legal speed limit" is 65 doesnt mean we cant have a bike that will have the power to go over it. People always ask "Do you need to go 130mph?" answer is "Yes I DO"..."Will you ever do 130 mph on the road?" and Yes I WILL. Thats my style of riding. So I NEED the 1000. To me it makes a difference.

Btw the Legal speed limit here in cali is 75

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
In the hands of a capable rider the extra 40lbs of the V are void. The V will take the Wee on any kind of road and beat it. Give both bikes to Rossi and I guarantee you the V will eat up the Wee on any track.

Same goes off-road, in the right hands the V will eat up the wee. You cant beat displacement when using the same frame, tires, cornering clearance.

Both great bikes, I would have gotten a wee just for the price, but then I would not be able to keep up in passing with friends riding S4r and GSXR 1k.

Buy the one you like and feel comfortable with, and let bygones be bygones.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Wasnt there 3-4 other topics like this along time ago? Do we need to keep reposting this stuff?

·
Registered
7 Posts
what i totally dont understand about the forum is the:

1: 650 v/s 1000 blah blah blah and
2: The windshield issue .. ( seems to be more psychological) ..

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The windshield issue is real. The buffeting at highway speeds can be enough to blur vision. The 650 v. 1000 thing is a shame. It's gone beyond lighthearted banter for no good reason. The nicest thing about this forum is the comraderie and the antagonism level is going up. I'd rather be happy than right myself. Which bike is best is a very personal choice for each rider. The main reason we ride is to have fun so I'd like to see more joy around here too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the buffeting is so bad and if it is so hard to find the perfect windshield then how can it be a comfortable long distance touring bike ?

just wondering ...

i still think it depends more on the dimensions/posture of the rider and the tolerance by the rider .. what one rider might think is acceptable wind protection might not be the same for another rider ..

·
Registered
26 Posts
greywolf said:
The 650 v. 1000 thing is a shame. It's gone beyond lighthearted banter for no good reason. The nicest thing about this forum is the comraderie and the antagonism level is going up. I'd rather be happy than right myself. Which bike is best is a very personal choice for each rider. The main reason we ride is to have fun so I'd like to see more joy around here too.
Couldn't agree more. After many test rides on both bikes, I decided upon the 650, because it felt like the best choice for me. Money had absolutely nothing to do with it, either. Buy what "you" like, and don't ram "your" decision down someone else's throat! :shock: It's not the bike that makes the rider, it's the rider that makes the bike. My '07 DL650 is either my 14th road bike, or 8th dirt bike. Can't make up my mind yet :wink:

·
38,103 Posts
I bought MPcycledesign's touring shield and their shorty shield. Others have had good results with different shields or just the Madstad brackets. It isn't hard to get rid of the buffeting. The search for quiet or still air gets a lot of mention but I really don't get that. I use the sport shield around town and the touring shield for cold weather. I also wear earplugs. Since I can get my eyeballs to quit shaking, I'm pretty happy with my present situation. 700+ miles a day for a 61 year old requires a pretty comfortable steed and that's what I had and hope to have again soon.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I agree with greywolf & others the 650 -v-1K thing is getting reallllly old .
you all (as I do) have your own specific reasons for the choice you made. For someone to state what they believe is your reason for you decision......Well that's in my own opinion slapping the hive to stir up the bee's.
I use this site for information ,and association with people who like myself have an interest in life beyond the TV & couch. :D

OK, I'm done :lol:

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you want to stay out of the wind drive a cage, otherwise the wind is part of the experiance with the bike. Im 6'6 and I have a stock windscreen, I feel no buffeting, my head and neck are fine after a 600 mile ride. No blurred vision as some discribed. Im with Indian rider, I think its psychological. ...."I WANT TO RIDE A MOTORCYCLE AND FEEL NO WIND!!!" please... feeling the wind is part of being a motorcyclist. That is like saying "I want a convertable and I dont ever want to put the top down".. God forbid. Im sorry but my opinion is if you cant handle the wind then simply dont ride a motorcycle. I dont know how many topics Ive seen about windscreens and so on, it gets quite annoying. Stop being a sissy and a crybaby because your riding a open cockpit vehicel and THERE IS WIND!!!. Who would have thought!!!

·
38,103 Posts
You are 8" taller than me. The wind that hits me mid helmet and rattles it hits you lower so doesn't. I ride a lot with a short windshield that hits me below the helmet too. It puts my head in the airstream but doesn't buffet. I guarantee you it's not psychological. I could put my hand on the helmet and feel it vibrating. There is a psychological part in that it feels like my eyeballs are still vibrating when I get off the bike though. :wink: A higher or lower shield solved the problem for me. There isn't enough adjustment in the stock system to get the windstream off my helmet.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.