StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
#motoref
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have the mega thread above - but I have a specific question.

Has anyone tried the different positions for the "base"? I was wondering if moving that up and down changed anything.

I currently have it in the lowest set of holes - so it can go lower. Moving the lower "wings" up a little might help push stuff out to the side? Just an idea.

I really don't run it much above 2" on the sliders - I don't like the way it shakes.

Scott

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have mine set to lowest everything, both base and sliding shield. Perfect for me at 5’6” with lower seat option. This way I still look over it at all times. I get a little buffeting from the mirrors but that’s it. You will get a little light glow at night at the bottom of the shield but it’s not a problem, just something I noticed but then quickly got used to.

·
#motoref
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have mine set to lowest everything, both base and sliding shield. Perfect for me at 5’6” with lower seat option. This way I still look over it at all times. I get a little buffeting from the mirrors but that’s it. You will get a little light glow at night at the bottom of the shield but it’s not a problem, just something I noticed but then quickly got used to.
Unfortunately - you're 6" + seat difference below me! I may try it - or just keep riding :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
The old rule of thumb that the top of the windshield should be somewhere between you chin and nose seems to be true for the Givi Airflow as well. But can’t help you with the three possible base positions. Let us know what you find in case you decide to try it out.

·
#motoref
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The old rule of thumb that the top of the windshield should be somewhere between you chin and nose seems to be true for the Givi Airflow as well. But can’t help you with the three possible base positions. Let us know what you find in case you decide to try it out.
yeah, that's about where I put it... it varies based on temperagure.

I moved it cuz I was bored... we will see.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I can't speak to the 2017, but on my 2015 DL650, I've tried both lowest and highest positions. Lowest position still had buffeting, but with the added irritation of constantly flipping my helmet visor down (I ride with it up ~99% of the time).

Moving the base to the highest position was a big improvement over the buffeting I experienced in the lowest position.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a 2017 and have played with the positioning a fair bit. I am 6’1” tall 185 pounds with a 34” inseam running the stock tall Suzuki seat. I have changed out the stock mirrors for the cheap Aprilia alternatives.

For me, the smoothest airflow is with the lower shield in the highest bolt holes, the upper shield extended up approximately one inch from fully down. Additionally I have a one eighth inch spacer in the lower bolts to open up the bottom (and tilt the top back a little) for better airflow under. This combination seems to work the best for me.

Interestingly with this set-up, 80 mph has smoother air than 70 mph. Prior to the screen tilt, the air would get rougher the faster I went. I am having a little vibration on the helmet at high speeds but it is now very slight and better than many other bikes I have ridden.

·
#motoref
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Additionally I have a one eighth inch spacer in the lower bolts to open up the bottom (and tilt the top back a little) for better airflow under. This combination seems to work the best for me.

Interestingly with this set-up, 80 mph has smoother air than 70 mph. Prior to the screen tilt, the air would get rougher the faster I went. I am having a little vibration on the helmet at high speeds but it is now very slight and better than many other bikes I have ridden.
I'll give that a try.

I did move the base to the top holes, and slammed it (it was hot) - and couldn't notice any significant difference around the helmet, but I did notice more air on my chest which was interesting. Will be interesting to try in the cool morning air when you can feel cool in various places.

·
#motoref
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I tried one spacers and what I can confirm is that by moving it to the highest position and adding spacers, maybe 3/16 of an inch at the bottom... I am not 100% sure I improved wind noise and/or light buffeting. I am sure it didn't make it worse.

I can tell you that it improves air flow past my body, wearing my mesh jacket, I feel more flow which is smooth and pleasant.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
On my 2011 650 the Givi airflow worked very well with the adjustable madstad brackets - Tilting the screen back is the key , unfortunately for my 2017 madstads don’t fit the Givi screen only their own screens .
I had added at least 1/2 inch spacers ( 12mm ) and have got it pretty much Buffetting free now .
I still wear ear plugs on long rides but it’s now avery smooth ride

1 - 12 of 12 Posts