StromTrooper banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, before I get reprimanded about searching, I have, and I have read more on the subject any human should be subject to. The only thing that is clear is that there are as many opinions as there are people :green_lol: I am however torn trying to decide on my spring rate for my upgrade (2011 DL 650).

I am upgrading to RaceTech springs and emulators (and I know some will say sonic and some will say intiminators or whatever they are called:headbang:, but I have made up my mind on this setup, so no need to cover all that again).

What I would like some views on is spring rate. I am 220lb (100kg), hoping to lose 5kg more. At my current weight the RaceTech recommendation is 0.985, and at my dream weight it is 0.955. Speaking to the suspension guy who will be doing the work his recommendation is to go for 1.0 instead of 0.95 which seems to be a popular choice. His argument (as this layman understood it) is stiffer spring with less preload is better than softer spring with more preload.

I ride exclusively on-road using the bike to commute. Have done 14,000km in the first year and loving it, but I want to get rid of that horrible nose dive when braking and perhaps make the front bounce around less when the road is less than perfect. I also carry a pillion on the weekends, she loves going for a Sunday morning cruise.

So, for those who use their bikes mainly on-road, and is a similar weight to me, what is your suggestion, 0.95 or 1.0.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The Sonic spring rate calculator at SonicSprings.com is valid regardless of spring manufacturer. A 2011 Wee goes 485lb in stock condition with all fluids.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
No more than 0.95, and if you're basically a normal commuting/touring rider maybe 0.90s. The Stroms have 1" more travel than a normal street bike, so you can a touch softer than you would on a regular bike.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Rich owns Sonic Springs. He knows of what he speaks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Rich, GW, could not have asked for more respected opinions. Much appreciated. I am still learning, was very happy with myself for removing the forks without any drama, so early days here :yesnod:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
stiffer spring with less preload is better than softer spring with more preload.
Why? Preload just raises or lowers the bike so it is in (roughly) the middle of the suspension travel. You want the spring rate so the springs are in their working range for the static load and dynamic movement you expect to encounter.
...220lb (100kg)...I also carry a pillion ....
The rear also needs a spring upgrade and damping upgrade.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why? Preload just raises or lowers the bike so it is in (roughly) the middle of the suspension travel. You want the spring rate so the springs are in their working range for the static load and dynamic movement you expect to encounter.
The rear also needs a spring upgrade and damping upgrade.
Yep, I have an Elka on the back, fitted that after the first ride with my other half on the back. I had the preload on the stock spring on 4 just for myself, and with her on the back the stocker sank into the ground. Wait, ... what... she does not read this stuff does she :yikes::yikes::green_lol:

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I am on 94kg currently... I say no more than0.95kg... FYI I run 0.95 in one leg and 0.9kg in the other. 0.9kg if u preferred a controlled but more compliant ride. 0.95 is quite firm .

·
Administrator
14,224 Posts
Personally I felt .95 to be way too firm for real world riding where you might be riding on other than perfectly smooth roads.

I commute. I ride on rough roads. I ride on super slab. I ride on some gravel roads and rough secondary roads. I do long trips loaded up. I rip through twisties. Some of my friends say I am a very aggressive rider in twisties. I rode close to 60,000 km last year and my 06 DL650 has over 202,00 km on it.

My weight hovers around 220 to 249 lbs.

I added .95 springs last year and honestly felt they were way to stiff. If I was only riding on smooth roads or doing track riding they would probably have been perfect, but in the real roads I ride in they felt way too stiff. I went with soft springs. (I think .85) and firmed up the damping in my emulator and was much more satisfied with the result. (oh btw I also have and Elka shock on the rear.)

As you say it's a matter of personal preference but you really want to think hard about what it is you enjoy about the ride and handling of the bike and try and figure out how changes will affect that.

..Tom

·
Vendor
5,008 Posts
Okay, before I get reprimanded about searching, I have, and I have read more on the subject any human should be subject to. The only thing that is clear is that there are as many opinions as there are people :green_lol: I am however torn trying to decide on my spring rate for my upgrade (2011 DL 650).

I am upgrading to Race Tech springs and emulators (and I know some will say sonic and some will say intiminators or whatever they are called:headbang:, but I have made up my mind on this setup, so no need to cover all that again).

What I would like some views on is spring rate. I am 220lb (100kg), hoping to lose 5kg more. At my current weight the Race Tech recommendation is 0.985, and at my dream weight it is 0.955. Speaking to the suspension guy who will be doing the work his recommendation is to go for 1.0 instead of 0.95 which seems to be a popular choice. His argument (as this layman understood it) is stiffer spring with less preload is better than softer spring with more preload.

I ride exclusively on-road using the bike to commute. Have done 14,000km in the first year and loving it, but I want to get rid of that horrible nose dive when braking and perhaps make the front bounce around less when the road is less than perfect. I also carry a pillion on the weekends, she loves going for a Sunday morning cruise.

So, for those who use their bikes mainly on-road, and is a similar weight to me, what is your suggestion, 0.95 or 1.0.

:) Hi, I have shipped and worked with a lot of Race Tech Springs and GVE packages for my fellow Stromtroopers,

Based on what you say, I would recommend that you go with 90wt Race Tech and GVE, at 220 95wt will be a bit stiff still.

Email me whenever you are ready and I can help out with the initial settings for you to help you get the ride you are looking for ,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
:) Hi, I have shipped and worked with a lot of Race Tech Springs and GVE packages for my fellow Stromtroopers,

Based on what you say, I would recommend that you go with 90wt Race Tech and GVE, at 220 95wt will be a bit stiff still.

Email me whenever you are ready and I can help out with the initial settings for you to help you get the ride you are looking for ,

Blair

I was going to say, Listen to Blair... :thumbup: he knows.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Blair
Thanks Blair, much appreciated. Email sent.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, not only did Blair provide me with excellent advice after I told him I am sourcing the springs and GVE locally and having a suspension shop doing the work, he tempted me into doing myself. So, order placed from Blair, and looking forward to the Easter weekend when I will be able to fit. Let's hope I do Blair's faith in my abilities justice :yesnod:

Thanks again Blair, much appreciated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts