StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 12000 km check up and my dealer offered me to put some "spitfire" spark plug. Their sold for $20 each but he sold it to me for $5 each. Says their not offen asked and want to discountinue it.
Anybody heard of those ?
The only thing I notice different is that the top peace of metal is split in two part, like a snake tong.
Could it make a big difference ?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It provides more right angle corner area that parks prefer so should last a little longer than standard plugs but not that much. For a longer lasting plug, go with platinum which outlasts iridium which outlasts standard.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I get it right, it doesn't justify the $15 more expensive that it is ask for. Thank god he sold it to me for $5
Thank you for the advise greywolf, nex time I'll try the platinume one.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
I personally do not beleive in those hocus-pocus like Spitfire and some other "revolutionary" brand advertises. The performance and the life of a spark plug besides the manufacturing process mainly depend on the materials used: the ceramic and the electrode's metal.
I have been working 7 years in a car spare part shop. We sold thousands of NGK plugs. We have NEVER EVER had any technical claims on them. Just one fact to notice: NGK was the first in the world who used copper in their plugs as standard (at that time Bosch offered copper only in their premium plugs).
NGK with its brother company NTK are the world's largest technical ceramic manufacturers, for example they are the leader in catalysator parts manufacturing. The other material is used at the poles where the spark generated. Every sparking means material-lose from the electrode. Expensive metals like iridium or platinum whithstand more against this kind of erosion. Lower erosion=slower increase of gap between the poles=sparking performance doesn't change too much as time goes by.
My experience is that today's modern sparkplug's life is much more longer than what is their replacement-intervals. Even two or three times! You can use your old plugs just need to reset the gap. The manufacturer's (Suzuki) recommendation on the change is driven only by safety of engine functionality and business.
For everyday use I suggest just to use the recommended plugs or other brand's compatible ones. The use of any "extended life" plugs perhaps makes sense when you go for a trip which takes longer than the plug change interval. Also by using extra plugs you will never notice any increase in performance, mpg or so, it is just waste of money.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Did a Google search and was directed to this site:

http://www.splitfire.com/triple.htm

Now SplitFire's patented split "V" side electrode design is available with three separate points of platinum, substantially reducing electrode wear. What's more, the revolutionary platinum-tipped fine wire center electrode requires less voltage to fire. No other spark plug combines 3 platinum alloy points, the fine wire center electrode and the patented split "V" technology. No other spark plug provides more for the life of your vehicle engine!

No claim of increased performance.

Al

Q

·
0 Posts
it is hocus pocus...

regardless of what kind of spark plug you have, it'll only fire the amount of juice that the distributor can give it.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
As I wrote before every systems with split V or multiple electrodes (Splitfire: Triple Platinum, NGK: V-Power, Bosch: Platinum+4, Platinum2, etc) or with special metals like iridium or platinum are designed to maintain the gap between poles. Manufacturers would like to make it maintenance-free.
Before you install a new plug you need to set the gap according to engine producer's specification. It is usually between 0,4-1,2 mm depending on the vehicle, the older the vehicle the smaller the specified gap. This is because of the evolution of ignition systems. Later ones have higher power/performance, can produce sparking on larger gap.
Back to the initial gap setting: the tool for that is usually a feeler gauge:

The tolerance of the gap set by this tool is about tenth of a mm. If you use a normal plug the gap increase during the replacement-interval measures maximum 0.1 mm. So by a wrong setting you can generate the same gap increase like the normal wear and you will realize that the engine still starts and runs without any problem. Why? Because the initial gap is calculated backwards: from the maximum allowed gap minus the wear during the replacement-interval.
Multiple or V shaped electrode plugs do not fire more sparking than one at a time. Sparking will only be generated where the smallest the gap between electrodes. Exactly the same as a normal plug does.
I write the whole thing to try to highlight that for normal, everyday use it is not necessary to use the most modern, sophisticated and expensive spark plug.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Our friend from Budapest seems to be a wealth of knowledge. Thank you Mokus. Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
kamloopsal said:
mokusbajusz

Your English is wonderful.
water warrior said:
Our friend from Budapest seems to be a wealth of knowledge.
I cannot decide whether you ridicule me or not. :?
I am still fighting with english and the slang used our fellows here. I have learnt it many years ago and for the time being unfortunately do not use it regularly (except this forum). I need to use a dictionary a lot. So I have asked Howboucha to open a topic (just for me?) with different slang words and abbreviations and their explanations. Am I crazy? Definitely YES!

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Mokus

Your English is fine. I have noticed a remarkable improvement since you started posting. Initially you were sometimes hard to understand but not anymore. You are to be commended on your efforts to speak and write a second language.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Mokus

If you are refering to me as top poster there is a reason for it. I am retired, have lots of time to talk on the computer and have a lot to say about nothing in many cases. Just can't help putting in my odd little comments. Maybe that is why my Shift button does not always work on the keyboard.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Forums need more members like you 8) Your English is fine and if we don't understand most will ask for clarification. I know I will 8)

mokusbajusz said:
kamloopsal said:
mokusbajusz

Your English is wonderful.
water warrior said:
Our friend from Budapest seems to be a wealth of knowledge.
I cannot decide whether you ridicule me or not. :?
I am still fighting with english and the slang used our fellows here. I have learnt it many years ago and for the time being unfortunately do not use it regularly (except this forum). I need to use a dictionary a lot. So I have asked Howboucha to open a topic (just for me?) with different slang words and abbreviations and their explanations. Am I crazy? Definitely YES!

·
Registered
327 Posts
mokusbajusz

I was not making fun of you. Those of us who speak and write English everyday forget how difficult the language is. I was referring to your use of the word 'sparkling' instead of 'sparking' - and how it sounds so right when talking about spark-plugs.

Al

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Mokus,

I know how you feel, i'm french canadian from Québec and my English is not as good as your's.
Since I'm a member of this great forum, nobody has ever discussed my bad use of english.
I think that what is the most important here is that we all have a common passion and we manage to share information about it the best way we could.

The best way to learn english is by doing what we're doing in this forum.
PRACTICE by reading and riding.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Question.
What do you call a person who speaks two languages?
Answer.
Bilingual.

Question:
What do you call a person who speaks many languages?
Answer.
Multilingual.

Question.
What do you call a person who speaks one language?
Answer.
American.

I'm definitely American. I can only admire people who can use more than one language. I have enough trouble with English. You guys rock. (Idiom for being worthy of admiration.)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts