StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help/advice. I decided to change the air filter in the DL650 today. While I had it apart I thought I would replace the spark plugs. The air filter was really no problem, neither was rear spark plug. Then…comes the front plug. There’s not much room in which to get at the demon front plug, I loosened the radiator and was able to get my hand on the plug wire. Yippeee! I then pulled the wire out and inserted the factory wrench into the hole. That’s funny it feels like rubber down there. Uh Oh! Part of the rubber flange at the end of the spark plug cap came off way down in the hole. Therefore, I could not get the wrench on the plug because of rubber piece. Has anyone had this happen before? Any advice? I put some mechanical fingers down there and couldn’t grab it. Maybe I’ll have to wait until I take it in for valves and they remove the radiator. At least the old plugs still looked good.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You need a tool

Tino, I use a tool made out of a bent coathanger to remove hoses and spark plug boots to prevent what happened to you. Similar to an old time buttonhook but the wire is flexible. Just shove the hook end down the hole and grab the butt end of the boot then gently tug on the wire. Your plug wires will come off easily and last longer.

It can probably also be used to retrieve your busted rubber piece. I'll also wage that with some good ruber glue (like for tire patching) you could glue it back together. Some silicone grease lube would probably also be a good idea to prevent sticking in the future. Good luck and don't fret.

I'll see if I can figure out how to post a picture in the gallery.

Bill

·
Registered
944 Posts
Would it help to totally remove the radiator to give you a straight shot at the rubber piece? Maybe a set of those small hook and picks would have a tool with the right size hook to get under the rubber piece so that you could pull it out. If it's time, you go ahead and replace the coolant and kill two birds with one stone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts