StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw in the owner's manual that the spark-plug are supposed to be changed every 12000 km.
On my car, i changed them (iridium too) at 180,000 km, and they still looked very good. OK on the bike they are firing at least twice that on the car, but 12000 km seem to me too early. I have 19000 km now, and i think i will change them at the valve adjustment, about 25000 km.
Am i wrong?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Either Suzuki are playing overly safe, and you'll be ok.

Or, they know what they're talking about, and you might trash your engine all for a few pence of consumables.

Your call :yesnod:

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
12,000 km is very low. There are a couple of Suzuki maintenance recommendations that make little sense. The early replacement of radiator hoses is another.

The plugs are copper, not iridium.

Running iridium plugs for your 180,000 km runs the risk of carbon build up on the ends of the plugs, and they damage the cylinder head threads when they are removed after that long time. By the way, iridium plugs do not run better than new copper plugs, but they run like new for a very long time.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Carbon buildup on plug threads only happens if the threads reach into the combustion chamber. That's normally only a problem with a bad design or using the wrong reach plug. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm not changing mine until 15k miles. I'll do the valves, plugs, and coolant in one shot. Not the least bit concerned about any engine damage.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Iridium plugs should last a lot longer than 7500 miles. Plus they are $10 each, so $40 bucks for spark plugs seems a bit steep.

I'd change them if they were standard plugs though. Plan on putting standard cheapies in this winter or next year.

·
38,048 Posts
I change mine at 15K when I do everything else, you could probably double that on iridiums .
More like 4x minimum.

·
Registered
242 Posts
plugs

I change the plugs on my 05 wee at 24 000 km intervals, and I believe its what the owners manual states to do. Why 12 000 on a 2012? Its the same engine? I guess the only difference is the fact that the new engine has 2 plugs per cylinder, no? Anyway, even when changing at 24 000km, the plugs are usually still in very good shape. And, for what 2 plugs can cost, and once all the stuff required to be pulled off to acces them, you might as well change them. And come to think about it, change the air filter while you have it staring at you!

·
38,048 Posts
The Glee comes with Iridiums. They might last longer than I do.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Greaywolfs right,they are a very long lasting plug,i have a 2003 camry with the v6-120,000 ,it came with the Iridiums,i took the car to my mechanic to have him replace the timing belt,might as will change the plugs too,went to pick up the car and he said he checked the plugs and they looked as good as the new ones,so he didnt install them,the car still runs great.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I picked up 4 CR9E's today for $3.50 each. He said Iridiums are $7 each and not $10 like I saw at Dennis Rip me off Kirk.

I may just put these in and then keep the original Denso I plugs. Just to see how the colder plugs burn, may give a bump in compression. Hell, I could index them iff'n I can get the shims!

·
38,048 Posts
2007 and later 650s have two plugs per cylinder. Others have one.

·
38,048 Posts
It does not. For a warranty to be voided, the warrantor has to show something the user did or did not do caused damage. Going longer than the recommendation on spark plugs cannot cause damage. A late oil change would be a different story.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Look up " Brisk spark plugs ",I'm running them in my wifes GS500 and in that bike they are incredible !!.
BUT they are very expensive,next plug change I will try them in my V.
In the GS they have given me no choke starts,+3mpg and a noticable power increase.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
38,048 Posts
In the GS they have given me no choke starts,+3mpg and a noticable power increase.
:confused: I don't see how that's possible unless the old plugs were misfiring. If they make you happy though, what more could you ask for.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Over on the GStwins forum they seem to be making ALOT of people feel better and happy !!.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 20 of 31 Posts