StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could have a spare part or two (for your Vee) at your shop OR maybe to take with you what would it be :confused:

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
Stator......nothing else hardly fails on these bikes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Clutch safety switch....mine is starting to act up, I have to pull the clutch in a couple times before it allows a start. I have taken it apart and played with it but did not help. I carried a spare to Mexico last June and pulled it off to change it and lo and behold it was the wrong one, it was for an 09 and my bike is a 2012 LOL!!
I ordered the right one and will change it out when I get back down to the bike.

·
Registered
523 Posts
+1 on the stator and gasket
Make sure to get the latest part number. Some have been stranded by the throttle position sensor. It's something I'll probably add to my kit. I carry a micro start in case I accidentally drain the battery.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Spare levers (brake and clutch) and spare clutch cable. And on our last trip a pint of Rotella.

Plus an assortment of screws, plastic rivets, wire, epoxy, magic self bonding tape and ... a lot of other small parts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Stator is a more popular answer to this question than I would have guessed. Is that particular to certain years or displacement? I carry a list of tools, kit bits and parts thats more than I care to type, but I'm a mechanic and my 04 Wee is just freakin' trashed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Clutch cable, shift lever, chain section/repair tool would be the stuff I'd carry on a longer ride and expect I'd be most likely to need/replace.

I have a TPS, clutch safety switch, stator/gasket in the garage that could be over-nighted if need be. Don't think I'd carry those.

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
Clutch cable, shift lever, chain section/repair tool would be the stuff I'd carry on a longer ride and expect I'd be most likely to need/replace.

I have a TPS, clutch safety switch, stator/gasket in the garage that could be over-nighted if need be. Don't think I'd carry those.
Taking the above in first paragraph on the big West trip I assume?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the stator can stop working "just like that" on a nice vacation ride I'm going to replace that soon (this winter) along with a new rectifier at home, and while I'm spending money I'll do the fuel pump/filter thing, my 06' vee with 20k on it,.. could I get away with just doing the filter??? The clutch switch is small enough I can stash on the bike. Will the pump or filter give you warning? same with the TPS? still learning :laugh2:

·
Registered
523 Posts
If the stator can stop working "just like that" on a nice vacation ride I'm going to replace that soon (this winter) along with a new rectifier at home, and while I'm spending money I'll do the fuel pump/filter thing, my 06' vee with 20k on it,.. could I get away with just doing the filter??? The clutch switch is small enough I can stash on the bike. Will the pump or filter give you warning? same with the TPS? still learning :laugh2:
The high pressure filter in the fuel pump can clog easily, so that's why some of us bypass it and install an external filter. The tps failures happened within a few rides if I remember correctly. While you're at it, the headlight relay is a highly recommend mod. Google search Stromtrooper (tps) or (filter bypass).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent, thank you.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
If you are on an 06Vee, you likely are into wise use of your money.

Stators on the vee - mine was going strong at 100,000 miles. I would save my money and install a voltmeter instead. This cheap item will warn you of a failure and you can disconnect electrical load and get to a town should a stator crap out.

Regulator/rectifier - these hardly ever fail. But, Greywolf is a fan of upgrading this part to help the stator live a longer life. I trust GW on most things electrical. He has threads on what to get and how to do it. I never bothered.

Fuel filter - my first filter went at around 60,000 to 70,000 miles. You will hear the fuel pump start to whine at first. Then it will start loosing rpm when you are riding it hard. It will not leave you walking. I rode home over 800 miles with mine clogged and refusing to run over 6,000 rpm. The fuel pumps last forever. I use good gas though.

TPS - makes them idle like shit and die below 2,000 rpm. But, crack the throttle, grit your teeth and ride on to the next town. You will not walk.

Clutch switch/gear shift switch - hardly ever fail unless damaged. You are better served to learn how to short them to eliminate one from incapacitating a bike should it fail. Ride on.

Battery - you did not mention. These are a common and often item that fails quickly. At about 4 years I would replace one before a long trip and keep the one removed for a spare. Its a common battery though that even Wal-Mart carries.

You are riding a pretty durable bike. One of only a few makes, and one of only 2 cheap bikes (the other KLRs) that you will see in some dam far away places like Alaska and South America.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
I had a loose wire on my clutch switch on a trip, had me stuck at a rest area for 15 minutes until I found it, switch was fine.
Halfway through another trip my chain and rear sprocket decided it was time to die, I clunked home, but that ended the trip quickly as I was far from any big cities. Replace your chain and sprockets before a long trip if they have any miles on them, or carry a spare set.

My right peg mount bent on a trip during a tip over, if it had broken off I would have had to turn around, but it survived for the rest of the trip. Not sure if carrying spare peg mounts is a good idea, just don't drop your bike anywhere.

Never put loaded bike on side stand if you are stopped on a right leaning down slope, when you go to get back on, it can easily tip to right.

Bring tools so you can tighten your chain, install an auto oiler for it too so lubrication isn't an issue.

Bring a 12v compressor and test it before you depart so you know the amps will not blow a fuse someplace. Alternately bring a manual tire pump.

Don't forget tire plug kit, some cash (coins for laundry machines and bills), keep a spare set of keys in your motorcycle jacket in case primary key gets lost or misplaced.

This list could go on and on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you are on an 06Vee, you likely are into wise use of your money.

Stators on the vee - mine was going strong at 100,000 miles. I would save my money and install a voltmeter instead. This cheap item will warn you of a failure and you can disconnect electrical load and get to a town should a stator crap out.

Regulator/rectifier - these hardly ever fail. But, Greywolf is a fan of upgrading this part to help the stator live a longer life. I trust GW on most things electrical. He has threads on what to get and how to do it. I never bothered.

Fuel filter - my first filter went at around 60,000 to 70,000 miles. You will hear the fuel pump start to whine at first. Then it will start loosing rpm when you are riding it hard. It will not leave you walking. I rode home over 800 miles with mine clogged and refusing to run over 6,000 rpm. The fuel pumps last forever. I use good gas though.

TPS - makes them idle like shit and die below 2,000 rpm. But, crack the throttle, grit your teeth and ride on to the next town. You will not walk

Clutch switch/gear shift switch - hardly ever fail unless damaged. You are better served to learn how to short them to eliminate one from incapacitating a bike should it fail. Ride on.

Battery - you did not mention. These are a common and often item that fails quickly. At about 4 years I would replace one before a long trip and keep the one removed for a spare. Its a common battery though that even Wal-Mart carries.

You are riding a pretty durable bike. One of only a few makes, and one of only 2 cheap bikes (the other KLRs) that you will see in some dam far away places like Alaska and South America.
Thanks... good info. I want to learn from you guys with all the different scenarios and experiences. You know the sayings.. prepare for the worst, hope and pray for the best. And I'm always trying to keep it all balanced.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I decided to purchase the $80 tps and Torx 25 security bit. Ill carry them on the moto with the replacement instructions ready to go. Hopefully won't ever need it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts