StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
ooooh!! thats a great story. i pick up a new dl1000 this weekend and am now even more rabid and pacing a rut in my best rug

:bom_drummer: !!!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Great story and all too true regarding the abilities of the rider.
+1

Honestly, a good rider can make ANY bike go. I took a large group ride up to Mt. St. Helens a few weekends ago. All the way there and up the mountain, I kept seeing a bright-jacketed guy on a small Suzuki Intruder, just hauling all kinds of ass. He was keeping up with all the sporty bikes, leaning and revving like you wouldn't believe. When I finally got to meet him, he was a very nice, proper, middle-aged man who just likes to ride. I was impressed :)

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
A couple of months ago I was at a BMW dealer.

The salescmuck saw me pull up on my wife's Harley, she was riding my Wee. (almost sounds dirty). She wanted to try out a F650GS. The guy goes on to say he has a R1200R that's been lowered and how superior it is to her V-Strom in the twisties.

I said that there is probably not enough difference in the performance of the respective bikes that couldn't be neutralized by a good rider. He poo-pooed that idea.

I rode the R1200R. I quickly realized I could beat myself on my Wee on the straightaway. But on either bike there is a ton of unused potential with me at the controls.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
It's the rider. Coming back from Death Valley last fall my group took the road to Bristlecone Pine Forest outside Lone Pine, CA. If you don't know this road, it makes the famous "Dragon" look like a yardstick with tetanus, and goes up to 10,000' to boot. Anyway, starting back down the mountain my brother, a former motocrosser riding a top-heavy old Yamaha Venture full-dress tourer, took off followed by two other guys on BMW R1200GS's and me on a Suzuki GSX1100G trying to keep up. When we got to the bottom (me last, of course) there was my brother waiting for us. Filling up with gas later in Lone Pine I was admiring my minimal chicken strips, and then glanced at my brother's. Not only was there no chicken strip at all on his tires, but the shoulders where the tread meets the sidewall were rounded off!

I mentioned that he must have been leaning quite a bit, and all he said (he's very laconic) was, "Yeah, I was going pretty fast."

Yup, it's the rider.

·
Administrator
16,982 Posts
Nice story...but it is almost always the rider that sets the bar.;) Kinda like people buying the best golf equipment available, it might help you "some" but ultimately it is the idiot behind the club. I feel like I am a pretty good rider, and my buddy can smoke me on his heavy assed Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
It is about the rider but I am able to ride FASTER very comfortably and confidently on my DL1000 !!!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
My last scoot was an '03 Honda VTX1800R. Big, heavy, fast. I find my Strom to be far easier to ride fast/aggressively than was my VTX. On the VTX, I had all but dragged clean-thru the floorboards on both sides from them scraping the road in the curves. On my Strom, I can take those same roads faster but I have yet to touch-down either footpeg. Same rider (me), different scoots, different end result. Ride safe, ride often. :cool:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Great read MSI....and written by someone who's ego isn't too likely to kill him. Everyone thinks they are "fast" at some point in their riding career. I used to think I was too which is why I got into road racing. The first day at the track taught me that there is "street fast" and FAST...I wasn't FAST.

If you're as lucky as we were, you'll find someone at the track to take you under their wing, teach you lines, braking points, how to brake-turn-and accelerate all in one fluid motion and you'll get out alive at some point. I watched a guy highside at the old track at Loudan NH and he didn't make it out alive so it's real and serious.

Most guys who really have raced (not a pretender) won't ride FAST on the street. They will go "street fast" and I enjoy corners as much as anyone but I won't race anyone cause of little things like cars and trees and guardrails<LOL>. Also I don't want to watch someone kill themselves trying to prove something to the old guy.

Reading that story makes me believe that the SV rider was wise to give up the chase since it was against a racer.

and for my last rant<lol>...it's usually the rider not the bike that decides anything on the turns as long as he isn't riding an H1 or H2. Straightaways are decided by power but it takes skill to turn. It can be a lite little bike or a big heavy bike, doesn't matter, we just ride them differently.

thanks for putting up with me,

jeff

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hah! Great story. And a great video too, TouringDude!

I was on a Buell demo ride once, and a 55-60 year old Harley salesman had to accompany me on his '80's-vintage full-dress bagger. You know the rest of the story! He humiliated me in the turns! LOL!

·
Registered
257 Posts
WOW. Great video TD! That guy of the GW can ride!

-Chris

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Anybody watch the "999 filmed by Yellow Wolf as Deals Gap" that was on the same page as the real rider on the Goldwing? He's an example of what I meant by pretender....has the machine, has most of the ware and has...well, my mommy told me that if I can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything.....so....ANYTHING<LOL>!!!

Geez, and he had his friend document THAT?

jeff

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I'd say rider, but I serious embarased a couple of Duc's on my week end ride last week, and I'm a crap rider.

O.K. roads were wet :), and tight :) , and bumpy :) with no long straights :) :) - but basically I had both them everywhere other than top speed. I was out-braking them, out cornering them, and had better acceleration out of the corners.

And - that was on a 650 :).

DL's kick butt.

Cheers
Pete

1 - 20 of 27 Posts