StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of spam these days

I just got an intrusion alert from our server after clicking one of these spam things

·
Registered
15,062 Posts
I don't get no stinking spam.
Interesting tha some experience it.
Then again I don't click on just every posting.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Spam posts don't stay up for long. It's mostly from the far east so arrives at night in the USA. Fatalerror or I will kill it when we first log on in the morning. Our Aussie brethren will likely see it up longer as they are in a closer time zone to the spammers.

Spam posts are pretty obvious. Why in the world would you click on a link in a spam message? Administration is working on a way to prevent posters with under 50 posts who are not paying vendors from putting a hyperlink in a message.

There is one spammer who always uses "I am a girl" in his biography when joining. He put a spam link in his sig. Now that Stromthusiasts can't put links in sigs, he's putting a link in a visitor message. I guess he figures he'll never get caught because he doesn't post. That nobody would ever see his sig or visitor message if he doesn't post doesn't seem to have occurred to him.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if it was connected NO I would not click a link from unknown source

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
They are people, not bots.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Forum spamming is something of a "cottage industry". Every once in a while I see ads calling for people to "make loads of money with just a computer and internet connection". I grew up with a guy who considers using private information, like sold or harvested phone numbers and email addresses, to be perfectly legal and legitimate marketing. We are no longer on friendly terms.

·
Registered
15,062 Posts
On the F800 forum they usually come in triplets. They have a member who is spam master and KerBlamms them early on.
I've never really noticed it here. One can usually tell by the title line. If you hover your mouse over an entry it gives you a lead to content.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts