StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like every night when I look in on the forum, there appears to be multiple spam threads.

Mostly a bunch of jibberish and malicious links disguised as movie/TV links.

Seems like they wait for the hours that mods can't cover.

Might be time to get on top of this hey?? :confused:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I help moderate another forum (non bike related) and this site comes in quite handy: Stop Forum Spam

I use the database to check new members based on username, email and IP address and often pre-emptively ban them before they can post due to multiple reports. I believe there is also a module that can be used with some forum software that does those checks automatically, though I'm a mod not a high level admin and don't have access to or experience with that part.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
one way to categorically block these spammers is to charge every new member $0.01 to join. no credit card or paypal? no access. GUARANTEED to beat every spam bot out there.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I have not seen any

Seems like every night when I look in on the forum, there appears to be multiple spam threads.

Mostly a bunch of jibberish and malicious links disguised as movie/TV links.

Seems like they wait for the hours that mods can't cover.

Might be time to get on top of this hey?? :confused:
I have not seen any - lucky me I guess

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
I haven't killed more than two a day. I wouldn't call that out of control. Just keep reporting it using the
icon and reply that you reported it to prevent multiple reports. One report per spammer is enough. I think that's better than making it harder to join.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More spam tonight :headbang: :headbang:

·
38,047 Posts
But you didn't report it.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I haven't killed more than two a day. I wouldn't call that out of control. Just keep reporting it using the
icon and reply that you reported it to prevent multiple reports. One report per spammer is enough. I think that's better than making it harder to join.
and there is was looking for a way to mark as spam...thanks GW

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4 more spam threads tonight in the space of a few hours.

It is starting to get out of control, despite the denials.

Surely there must be some sort of program/s to take the burden from the mods who obviously can't keep up with these.

Prevention is the best cure.

·
38,047 Posts
It was a lot worse today.

·
Registered
394 Posts
4 more spam threads tonight in the space of a few hours.

It is starting to get out of control, despite the denials.

Surely there must be some sort of program/s to take the burden from the mods who obviously can't keep up with these.

Prevention is the best cure.
I've been reading this forum almost daily for the past two years and can count on one hand the times I saw real SPAM ... A handful of posts out of "literally" thousands of posts ...

A few last night yes but certainly not "out of control" and I have never seen anyone "denying anything" ...

"Out of control" would likely mean more than 4 out of 100 or so I would think ...

Id say that it is less than 1 tenth of 1 percent ..... Nice job owners and mods ... Despite the few "sky is falling" hysterical folks out there ...

:confused:

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was a lot worse today.
Agree, it is getting worse.

I've been reading this forum almost daily for the past two years and can count on one hand the times I saw real SPAM ... A handful of posts out of "literally" thousands of posts ...

A few last night yes but certainly not "out of control" and I have never seen anyone "denying anything" ...

"Out of control" would likely mean more than 4 out of 100 or so I would think ...

Id say that it is less than 1 tenth of 1 percent ..... Nice job owners and mods ... Despite the few "sky is falling" hysterical folks out there ...

:confused:
So sue me for trying to make this forum a better place :confused:

Spam is not just about being annoying and messing the place up, these links lead to malicious links that include keyloggers, spyware, malware and other nasties. These quite often are then used to fund criminal organisations. These spammers just don't do this to be annoying :headbang:

I have been looking at this forum for a few years as well now, and was always amazed that spam was never an issue. But the past few weeks it has been slowly getting worse. What started out as the odd one, has slowly crept up to be multiples every night.

I started this thread to highlight the issue, and see if any of our very informative members may have a solution to the issue. No point in waiting until the spammers post, and then delete (quite often many hours later), lets see if we can stop it before it even gets posted.

I am sure there are members on here that have experience with this, who have been moderators or coders on other forums, or maybe do it for a living?
If the only solution at the moment is to delete the threads after they have been posted, let's see if someone has a better answer.

·
38,047 Posts

·
38,047 Posts
When I first get out of bed every morning, I'm going to check posts from new members. I'll get them even if they aren't reported.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts