StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to check before I screw up the fork spring installation on my 07 Wee:

A-9.25" is the distance from top of new spring and washer to top of rhe
extended fork tube.
B-1.125" is the distance from where the fork cap touches the top of the
fork tube to the bottom of the cap where it touches the
spring/spacer with preload set on zero (softest).
C-15 MM (approximately 5/8") is the space left (suggested by Sasquatch)
for preload adjustment.

A minus B minus C is about 7.5 " which should be the spacer length. Am I
correct?

Just to double check myself, I checked the length of the original spring, washer and spacer and came up with a total length of 21 11/16".

The total length of the RaceTech spring, washer and 7.5" spacer is 19 15/16"

When I put the old spring, washer and spacer back in the extended fork, it is only about 1/8" below the tube top.

Just concerned about the differences. I appreciate any suggestions.

Ian, Iowa

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Just wanted to check before I screw up the fork spring installation on my 07 Wee:

A-9.25" is the distance from top of new spring and washer to top of rhe
extended fork tube.
for preload adjustment.

correct?

Just to double check myself, I checked the length of the original spring, washer and spacer and came up with a total length of 21 11/16".

The total length of the RaceTech spring, washer and 7/5" spacer is 19 15/16"

When I put the old spring, washer and spacer back in the extended fork, it is only about 1/8" below the tube top.

Just concerned about the differences. I appreciate any suggestions.

Ian, Iowa
You're on the right track, but calculate with the adjuster in the middle of it's range. You'll end up with the spacer closer to 7.25"

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the response Rich.

A-9.25" is the distance from top of new spring and washer to top of the
extended fork tube.
for preload adjustment.

correct?
Think I had another senior moment when doing the above calculations. Shouldn't I have added rather than subtracted the 15 mm preload to the length of the spacer?
In other words, A minus B PLUS C for a total of 8 3/4" or 8 1/2" if I use Rich's suggestion on the preload adjuster.

TIA Ian, Iowa

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Thanks for the response Rich.

Think I had another senior moment when doing the above calculations. Shouldn't I have added rather than subtracted the 15 mm preload to the length of the spacer?
In other words, A minus B PLUS C for a total of 8 3/4" or 8 1/2" if I use Rich's suggestion on the preload adjuster.

TIA Ian, Iowa
Doh!! :) You're right, of course.
I do it a little simpler way. (At least, it's simpler for me :))
1) Measure the depth of the cap. (If there's a preload adjuster, set it in the middle.)
2) Subtract 15mm from that. This is the amount the tube should be recessed in the fork tube. I.e., if the depth of the cap is 35mm then 35mm-15mm=20mm
3) Fully extend the fork tube. Put the the spring, washer and spacer tube in the fork. Mark the tube even with the top of the fork tube. Then pull it out and measure down the appropriate amount (20mm in this example) and mark.
4) Cut the tube.

Some notes:
Most fork caps with preload adjusters have a depth close to the example above. So if you recess the tube 20mm you'll be close.
Typically preload adjusters have ~15mm of total travel. That matters because you never want negative preload. So if you set them in the middle (+/- 7.5mm) and aim for 15mm of preload you'll have 7.5mm of preload at a minimum. That's a safe number. I don't like to go below 5mm.
Fork caps without preload adjusters are usually ~15mm deep, so you just cut the spacer flush with the top of the fork tube. On recessed cap forks like the Ninja 250 and 500 cut the spacer so it's even with the lockwire groove.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts