Strom Trooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got back from a spectacular trip through Colorado, Utah, New Mexico and a tiny chunk of Arizona. Saw amazing stuff, got to meet a great guy from this forum in person (shout out to John V. Strom!), and spent a terrific three weeks on the bike. I broke the 50,000 mile mark on the Super Tenere in New Mexico, and can't say enough good things about this bike; it takes me everywhere I want to go.

Pike's Peak

Pike's Peak. I love this photo; it looks like a steaming volcano.

Box Canon Falls State Park

Lizard Head Pass, CO

Ouray, CO

Buck Canyon, UT

Start of the Moki Dugway, UT

Heading down the Moki Dugway

Taking a break on the Shafer Trail, UT

Valley of the Gods Road, UT

US 64, near Tierra Amarilla, NM

The Palisades, US 64 east of Eagle Nest, NM

Damage from the Ute Park Wildfire, along US 64

My photos don't do the trip justice.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Nice photos and it sounds like a wonderful trip. I've never even gone for a week alone on the bike. glad you had the opportunity to do the ride. Colorado is amazing in its rugged beauty. I went up Pike's Peak three times one day. We couldn't take the motorhome up, so I took my wife, a kid of ours and a grandson up. That's enough slow curves in traffic for one day:). Thanks for the photos. Bob

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob. This is my second trip out to that area; I was there in '09 on a Harley, but I got to go to a lot more places this time on the Yamaha. In fact, in was in almost that same exact spot in the Palisades in '09. Here's what it looked like back then:

My memory was a bit faulty; I was about fifty feet off from where I originally parked in 2009.

I can't describe how much I love that area out there. I've been all over the country on a bike, and no other place grabs ahold of me like the West.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Thanks for the great pics. We rode and camped eight days in 2015 in Colorado. I liked it even better than our 24 day Alaska camp ride trip.So many nice small towns,clean,great parks,and best tasting tap water ever.Like our Ky. smaller,older, and tree covered peaks better in looks but all great. A friend that went this year told me you can not ride to top of Pikes peak now and have to take a bus to top. We rode to top of it and the taller Evans both in 015. Its my pick of best state so far and been in most but N.M. still on bucket list.
The N.Trace was marked off last year but was a bit of a let down for me.Love the history part,good road, and nice free camps but the speed limit was so too low! A good road if you want to take a Super 90 for a road trip but even it could get a serious ticket on it. I had the same Super 90 three times by taking it back in trade on big bikes.:grin2:

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I grew up in Western Pennsylvania, and used to think I knew what mountains were until I saw Colorado LOL. One of the things I love about that area is that it looks new, and raw, and untamed, and you can still find places to ride where you won't see another soul for miles. And I love the small towns too; we found some great ones along the way. If it wasn't for the brutal winters, I could easily settle myself in a place like Gunnison. And I loved the people I met in Colorado; they had a real laid back outdoorsy vibe.

I didn't get to do everything I wanted out there; Cottonwood Pass is closed for all of 2018, and I just ran out of time to do Kebler Pass. I did get to go down Phantom Canyon Rd, which was seriously washboarded. I ran into a couple guys on Harleys near the Canon City end, and one of them asked me if it got any better as they went further north. I felt bad telling him that they were already on the smooth part, and the rest of the road was like riding over railroad ties. With temperatures topping 100 degrees, I think that seriously dampened their enthusiasm.

That Pike's Peak thing must have been temporary; I rode the bike to the top, and there were a ton of bikes and cars at the summit. I don't think the cog railway was in operation though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts