StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been riding for close to 50 years. First real motorcycle was a 1972 Suzuki TC125. Many bikes have come and gone over the years. Currently riding a DR650 and I see a Strom in my future, but I don't have one yet.
Here now to learn so I will be well informed and won't make a mistake when purchase time comes.

Current ride, and photo test.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome to the group. You didn't say which size or generation you're interested in but I will offer this. As a DR650 owner I found the DL650 doesn't offer enough separation of function to merit slot in my garage and chose the DL1000 instead. Prior to test riding the 650 I was assured by several previous wee owners that it was a great bike, far better than the 1000 and more bike than anyone needs. I disagree and find the acceleration of the big V much more enjoyable than it's little sibling. YMMV.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the group. You didn't say which size or generation you're interested in but I will offer this. As a DR650 owner I found the DL650 doesn't offer enough separation of function to merit slot in my garage and chose the DL1000 instead. Prior to test riding the 650 I was assured by several previous wee owners that it was a great bike, far better than the 1000 and more bike than anyone needs. I disagree and find the acceleration of the big V much more enjoyable than it's little sibling. YMMV.
Nothing is set in stone yet, but I am leaning towards a gen 2 or 3 650.
Reasons being the lighter weight of the 650, and I think the 1000 requires premium fuel ? A lot of "off the beaten path" stations only sell regular 87 octane.
I agree the extra hp of the 1000 would be nice, but the way the roads are around here handling means more than power. Straight roads are few unless you get on the interstate.
I am assuming the 650 would be more "nimble" than the 1000 in the twistys, and better on gravel and fire roads ?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Welcome. I'm also from WV, but closer to the Charleston area. I also have a DR650. WV is a great place to have some off road riding capability

·
Registered
Dl1000k7
19 Posts
Nothing is set in stone yet, but I am leaning towards a gen 2 or 3 650.
Reasons being the lighter weight of the 650, and I think the 1000 requires premium fuel ? A lot of "off the beaten path" stations only sell regular 87 octane.
I agree the extra hp of the 1000 would be nice, but the way the roads are around here handling means more than power. Straight roads are few unless you get on the interstate.
I am assuming the 650 would be more "nimble" than the 1000 in the twistys, and better on gravel and fire roads ?
I'm curious - would the strom then replace the dr? I settled on the 1000 as a 95% on road bike because I knew I was also getting a dual sport, a klx300 as it turned out. My k7 manual says it only requires 87 octane (r+m/2), which is 91 RON.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm curious - would the strom then replace the dr? I settled on the 1000 as a 95% on road bike because I knew I was also getting a dual sport, a klx300 as it turned out. My k7 manual says it only requires 87 octane (r+m/2), which is 91 RON.
I would be keeping the DR for now. Maybe in the future going to a smaller dual sport. Possible KLX300, or a KLX250 with a 351 BB kit. Or maybe a WR250R. But thats a whole other can of worms.
As far as octane, I thought I had read somewhere the 1000 required 93. Like I said, I'm still learning.

·
Registered
Dl1000k7
19 Posts
I would be keeping the DR for now. Maybe in the future going to a smaller dual sport. Possible KLX300, or a KLX250 with a 351 BB kit. Or maybe a WR250R. But thats a whole other can of worms.
As far as octane, I thought I had read somewhere the 1000 required 93. Like I said, I'm still learning.
I was really hoping to see some kind of announcement from Yamaha on the wr since both Kawi and Honda put out a 300 this year, especially since my klx300 makes about the same power as the smaller wr. As it turns out, they didn't make the wr250r for 2021 at all. When I went to pick up the klx, the dealer said they wouldn't received a single new Yamaha bike for the 2021 season at all. Covid really damaged supply lines the world over it seems.

I'm sure I've not seen anything requiring more than 91 octane but sometimes for these world-over bikes they publish requirements with research method numbers which run about 4 points higher than the average method we use in the states.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
The 2014 and newer V2 does require 91 but I put in whatever is available since most of the time you don't strain that engine at all. The weight difference with the 650 is not that great, especially if you are a bit careful what all you bolt onto it. It is significantly better as regards brakes and suspension but it has potential quirks, clutch shudder with increasing mileage (can be fixed with a werks basket) and lean running (can be fixed with a booster plug). With those fixes and a Givi Airflow windscreen its a sweet package. It can haul all your gear on longer trips at any speed and most any surface.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well yesterday was the big day.
I found a low mileage (5500) 2014 1000 for a price I felt was too good to pass on, even though I had to drive 650 miles round trip to get it.
I think it is the adventure model as it has the Suzuki side cases, center stand, crash bar, lower cowl and handguards.
Also has a few extras like a big Givi top case, crash bar bags, throttle lock, Puig windshield, etc ,etc.
Owner also threw in some other items like a new pair of heated grips, ram x-grip with mount, battery tender, and some other small items.
Still has the original tires with a date code of 2014. Even though they have good tread left, I don't know if they should be trusted because of their age.

And here it is.......................

20210721_190350.jpg

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Well it looks just like mine .... before I got to work on it ;-)

55k on it. You have some ways to go to catch up.

PS: Come join us for NEVA. A good way to put some miles on it and get a lot of ideas what all you need to do to the bike.

PPS: I would ride those tires another 2k or so and then toss them. This assumes that the bike was garaged, so the tires are not so stressed as being out in the sun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts