StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I are planning a trip from Essex, Ontario (near Windsor) to Nova Scotia, with Cape Breton Island being the final destination. We plan on taking 3 days to ride to NS, stay for 5, then 3 days to return. Of course we'll do the Cabot Trail, and there are plenty of guides, websites, posts on this forum, etc., about roads and routes in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. However, I'm looking for suggestions for Southern Ontario and Quebec. Windsor to Toronto will be pretty straightforward (and boring), but it's from that point on that I'd like to stay away from the 401, and all highways like it for the duration of the trip. Ideally we'd like to head up toward Ottawa and cross the St. Lawrence at Trois Rivieres, Quebec, but we are open to suggestions. Does anybody have any good suggestions, routes or websites that I can check?

Thanks!

·
Registered
735 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
What time of year? A couple years ago I got hypothermia riding the Gaspe in late May, I highly suggest heated gear any time of year out there. It wasn't that cold, about 5C, but the highway is pretty open and we were riding pretty fast.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well, I flew to Toronto, bought my V-Strom and rode back to Nova Scotia on the Thursday, Friday & Saturday leading to Labour Day weekend. I know, not ideal timing, but it took 2 hours to get out of Toronto on Thursday afternoon and FOUR HOURS to get through Montreal on Friday. This route is to be avoided at all costs. VanIsleJay's route accomplishes this. I don't know if it is just a Montreal thing or a Quebec thing, but the drivers are mostly dangerously aggressive. I have driven almost all over the world (excepting south and east asia) and the Montreal drivers are the worst.

If I had a real license plate I'd have gone through the USA to New Brunswick (had a temp permit - not valid in the USA).

That all said, it was a GREAT trip. Thursday morning 1.5 hour drive to Halifax airport and home Saturday evening. Felt a little Iron Buttish. Bonus - the seller is a great guy and was very helpful.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have never done the Quebec route, though I hear Eastern Quebec is very nice. I have always travelled through the states. Upstate New York, Vermont, and New Hampshire offer absolutely amazing riding roads.

Personally, whichever route you take, I would aim to get out of Ontario as quickly as possible. Eastern Ontario just doesn't offer much of anything, you're just wasting time staying off the 401. Similarly, I found south Nova Scotia to be very boring. I think it's called the Lighthouse Route.

This is somewhat of a route I did years ago and really enjoyed it

https://goo.gl/maps/drS4i6HSViWQ3kNA9

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Take highway 7 from Toronto and drive through Ottawa on the 417 towards Montreal. Cross into the South Shore on highway 30 near Vaudreuil and cross into Maine after Sherbrooke.. near Lac Megantic at Coburn Gore, drive through the Carrabassett Valley. If you have time take the ferry from Bar Harbour to Yarmouth.

You'll avoid almost all highway taking that route.

In Cape Breton be sure to visit Meat Cove and have their chowder, and if you have time search out the beaches of Cape Breton. They aren't advertised but they are some of the nicest on the planet.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Similarly, I found south Nova Scotia to be very boring. I think it's called the Lighthouse Route.

https://goo.gl/maps/drS4i6HSViWQ3kNA9
Agreed. The coastal drives only get good north of Halifax. Before that they are terrible. I would recommend taking that coastal route from Halifax, to Sherbrooke, NS and up through Cape Breton. Endless drive of small coastal towns and pretty bays.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I don't know if it is just a Montreal thing or a Quebec thing, but the drivers are mostly dangerously aggressive. I have driven almost all over the world (excepting south and east asia) and the Montreal drivers are the worst.
That's mostly a Montreal thing from my experience. The stupid Montreal drivers, combined with terrible roads, make Montreal an absolutely terrible city to drive in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What time of year? A couple years ago I got hypothermia riding the Gaspe in late May, I highly suggest heated gear any time of year out there. It wasn't that cold, about 5C, but the highway is pretty open and we were riding pretty fast.
We're looking at early September 2020.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That's mostly a Montreal thing from my experience. The stupid Montreal drivers, combined with terrible roads, make Montreal an absolutely terrible city to drive in.
I think since we are throwing around generalizations...I will fight back with one...

The beautiful women of Quebec in the summer make the terrible roads worth it.

Once there was a comedian doing an interview on the radio. He mentioned how incredibly the women here are all so beautiful...he went on to ask, "What do you do with all the ugly women?"

The response from the guy was...

"We send them to Toronto!"

Come on... that's funny...

·
Registered
318 Posts
We're looking at early September 2020.
When I did my Nova Scotia trip, I did it the week of labour day. Weather was good except it dropped close to freezing at night in Nova Scotia. Keep that in mind, it gets colder a lot faster that far north compared to Windsor.

I think since we are throwing around generalizations...I will fight back with one...

Once there was a comedian doing an interview on the radio. He mentioned how incredibly the women here are all so beautiful...he went on to ask, "What do you do with all the ugly women?"

Dis true, dis true ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Whatever points Montreal loses in roads and drivers, it makes up for in people and culture.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts

LOL

I lived 12 years in Montreal, and can confirm two things:

1. The women are indeed beautiful!

2. That you need a certain mindset, and ultimately skill level, to drive safely in Montreal. I credit that city for making me an observant and focused driver that is comfortable anywhere.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not sure how far off it is in your travels, but if you can, go by Mount Washington, and get the bike to climb it and get yourself a sticker. I did the trip last summer and it was well worth the ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts