StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure this is the best place to post this, but I'm in South Alabama and am looking for suggestions for riding gear to look into. What do most people in the south use during each of the seasons? Or is there something that would work well as a multiseason setup for our area?

·
Registered
618 Posts
The key for me is layers. I usually try to to find a decently ventilated textile jacket and add a under layer, like a fleece, for the winter. I currently have a Tourmaster Transition 3 jacket that seems to work well. Havent had it a full season yet so winter will be a test.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I live in South Mississippi. ..same brutal heat. I NEED a mesh jacket for most of the year. I do love my first gear Tpg Teton jacket. Its a fantastic cold to warm weather 3 season totally waterproof jacket. Mesh pants or carhartts and mc specific boots and gloves. ALWAYS. And for heavens sakes...a full face helmet. These are my choices. ..I have people that love me. I owe it to them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
812 Posts
I'm currently on my second season using an Olympia AST2 jacket and Firstgear HT Air Overpants. I've found that the AST has enough vents to handle the heat and it works great in the winter. It is absolutely waterproof. The pants have a waterproof liner. But we all know from experience that when the liners get cold, you get cold. So, in the winter I've been wearing my rain pants over the Overpants...lol. So far this has been my four season setup.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm in North Texas and thinking about the same thing. I'm looking at AST2 vs XMoto vs Nomad, all by Olympia. Probably won't ride below 40F ever but summers here are brutal. I do have an all-mesh jacket for July/Aug but want to be protected and comfortable year round.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm in North Texas and thinking about the same thing. I'm looking at AST2 vs XMoto vs Nomad, all by Olympia. Probably won't ride below 40F ever but summers here are brutal. I do have an all-mesh jacket for July/Aug but want to be protected and comfortable year round.
I have the xmoto pants and I think they work well for warm to cool conditions (under 80F). On the hot days (90-105F and dry) they just don't have enough ventilation. All zipped up with rain liners in, they are pretty warm. I haven't tested how waterproof they are.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm in NC and I've ridden in temps (here) as low as 17 degrees F, but I don't normally go that low. My rule that I don't break a whole lot is to not ride in temperatures lower than my age. Makes it easier as I get older but I think I'll have to revise that rule once I hit the half-century mark. :mrgreen: I'm 45 now and can get by with a Freeze-Out long-sleeve shirt, a sweatshirt, and a denim jacket, Freeze-Out long-johns, jeans, boots, any brand of leather gloves, full-face helmet, and I take a knit cap and cut a slit in the top of it so I can slide it over my head so that it wraps around my neck. I can be comfortable dressed like that in mid-40s temps. Every now and then I'll replace the denim jacket with a leather jacket if I want to ride in temps lower than mid-40s.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in South Mississippi. ..same brutal heat. I NEED a mesh jacket for most of the year. I do love my first gear Tpg Teton jacket. Its a fantastic cold to warm weather 3 season totally waterproof jacket. Mesh pants or carhartts and mc specific boots and gloves. ALWAYS. And for heavens sakes...a full face helmet. These are my choices. ..I have people that love me. I owe it to them.

this is more my riding style I believe, just trying to get some more opinions to explore my options.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just bought my fiancee a cortech mesh jacket..fantastic build quality, and it has a waterproof liner and a quilted full sleeve liner. A bit bulky with them all in..but I'd bet it'd work for most all year in these parts. They make a men's version I suppose.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Just bought my fiancee a cortech mesh jacket..fantastic build quality, and it has a waterproof liner and a quilted full sleeve liner. A bit bulky with them all in..but I'd bet it'd work for most all year in these parts. They make a men's version I suppose.
I don't care much for any of the Coretech gear that I own. I've had too many issues with premature wear, stitches coming undone, et al. However, the Coretech jacket that I bought for my Wife has been very good. And the best part....my Wife loves it. It vents very well and is completely water-proof ( from the outside ).

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I also have the Olympia MotoX jacket and their Ranger 3 pants. Both are great for colder weather and excellent except for really hot weather. For hotter summer weather I wear the Olympia Airglide3 which have a good airflow and they also make some pretty good armored mesh jackets which I have ben wearing for several years now.
When it gets really cold out, I use my heated gear (Jacket liner, Gloves and Socks). This stuff takes me down to around -4F without issue.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I ride year round , for what it's worth. Summer/Spring/Fall , mesh riding jacket , with a hoodie under it on cooler mornings & evenings. Winter , I have a Joe Rocket Ballistic series 3/4 jacket that I can wear with just a short sleeved tee under it. I wear blue jeans , but this group has shamed me into looking at some legit riding pants , so those are in my future somewhere.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Layers

I have a mesh jacket, Fulmer, I believe it is. Has a lining that keeps me warm down to mid fifties and is supposed to be water-resistant but I wear the Froggs when it rains. When it gets colder, I put either the Froggs over top of the mesh jacket or a windbreaker. I think the secret is to keep the cold air on the outside of the insulating liner. If it gets really cold, I put on a heavier BMW armored coat I have with my North Face down ski jacket underneath. Pants are FirstGear padded with zip up legs that are supposed to be water-resistant but again, I wear the Froggs if its raining. Incidentally, Frogg Toggs are fantastic for the price and damn good for any price. I can wear the mesh jacket on up in the 90's but not sure how hot I can stand the pants yet. I also wear Cold-Out or Frigid Out or something like that Balaclava under the helmet when its really cold. I rode last weekend at about 35 degrees and figure I could go down in the high twenties easy enough with another layer but don't really care to ride that cold. Mostly, I don't want to ride below about 45 or so. I can't stand cold as well as I used to since major fight with cancer, chemo, radiation and loss of some 100#. Now I'm a relatively wimpy 220-225# and just don't have the natural insulation I used to. But I can take significantly hotter temps comfortably.

Hey Shaq! I need to catch up with you sometime. You're in my back yard, or front yard, depending on how you look at it. :*) Might not be too difficult to get some rides in when it gets warmer. Email is "[email protected]".

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the Tourmaster Intake Air3, mesh outer shell, removable water proof, and quilted liners. I like it for spring , summer, and fall in Carolina. I have a First Gear Kathmandu for winter, but I am finding I don't like a 3/4 Jacket. I have been considering the Tourmaster flex3. Textile outer, removable mesh inner, and quilted liner. Check out Draggin Jeans, denim with Kevlar in the seat and knees. I have found they wear comfortable and look pretty good to. Not as hot as you might think either.

AdamR

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have been agonizing over this for several weeks. I'm just starting out so I've got lots of gear on the mind, but the budget requires I not buy a jacket for every season. I like to see some of the names of the jackets I was thinking of buying being listed by you guys, at least I'm on the right track.

·
Registered
812 Posts
For those that don't already know Mike is retiring and closing his shop at the end of the month. He currently has gear at 50% MSRP.

Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters. Great shop and Mike is the best in the business. I know I'll miss him...

·
Registered
767 Posts
I ride year round, and a little picky about which jacket for what temps...

< 45°F : First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket (I've worn this down to 11° with zero discomfort (in my torso, and arms, anyway).

45-60° : Cortech Denim (Not the best for abrasion resistance, but well padded, and insanely comfortable).

60-90° : Tour Master Flex 3 (3 layers, and the venting is great, and warms up nicely with the liner. My most versatile jacket)

> 90° : Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0

Pants: Bilt Ironworkers Kevlar year round, w/ Freeze Out long johns < 60°

There have been others that I've decided I didn't like for one reason or another... Dianese (you need to be anorexic to wear these), leathers, etc...

·
Registered
812 Posts
I ride year round, and a little picky about which jacket for what temps...

< 45°F : First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket (I've worn this down to 11° with zero discomfort (in my torso, and arms, anyway).
I walked into Mikes store last year to buy one of these, but I walked out with an Olympia AST jacket instead. Love the jacket...I rode year round last with just this jacket. It really vents well. I don't care for the bulky liner so I usually just add a W&S heated jacket liner instead when the temps drop below 40F. I've ridden with this jacket and the heated liner in 28F for 15 hours with no issues.

I wear the AST with either Klim Dakar pants or First Gear HT Air pants. In cold temps, I usually just slip on my rain pants ( TourMaster Defender ).

I only own vented summer boots ( A* smx-5's ) so my feet suffer when it gets really cold. I'll be adding a second pair of boots this year for the colder temps. :headbang:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts