Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the day and rode over to the "south east" Ohio area. Mostly just a nice relaxed type of ride day. I took "Charleston Pike" east out of Chilicothe to 180 to 56. I absolutley love Rt 56. From there I rode into Athens and had some lunch. Worked my way home on US50 but made sure I hit Rt 356 (Probably the best road in Ohio that no one talks about.) All in all, about 330 miles

Any other "hidden gems" in Ohio?

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
I'm holed up in a cheapo motel in Cambridge Ohio ...have 26 planned for tomorrow - have a couple days here then head back across to WV and PA then home to Toronto.

Will doo 555 and might do lazy drive along the river on OH 7

Open to suggestions

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm holed up in a cheapo motel in Cambridge Ohio ...have 26 planned for tomorrow - have a couple days here then head back across to WV and PA then home to Toronto.

Will doo 555 and might do lazy drive along the river on OH 7

Open to suggestions
Ohio 536 (Ohio Dragon) is a must do and very close to where you are at.

278 between Nelsonville and US50 is very nice!

RT 56 in the Hocking Hills area is beautiful.

Ohio 763 Between 125 and 41 is great challenging road. Plenty of tight turns and lots of elevation changes. (This may be a little to westward for you).

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
thanks -good Monday planning

Got in okay ...wandered over to Cracker Barrel for a feed - came back for a snooze.
Tap on the door ....wah ....bike is over on its side,..

Afternoon warmer than I thought, asphalt = nice hole where kickstand was.

Couple new scratches on the luggage

and now parked on the concrete.

Good sleep on ginormous king bed with plenty of pillows.

Coffee was not too bad at the front desk and I had some crackers and cheese with me.

Tennis coming up and I'm not conflicted as foggy as hell outside.

Doing 126 today and then see where the wind blows me.

down through the park

Might do the scenic route on 7 along the Ohio River ...would be silly busy today.

Both West Virginia
Motorbike Ride : US 50 : Parkersburg - Winchester

and Ohio Riding Roads are accessible day tripping

Always something to photograph

·
Super Moderator
16,718 Posts
Sorry about your bike falling over, and consider coming down to my Labor Day rally if you are able and willing. :)

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
I have a buddy with a welder will work something ...speaking of which ....just checked the bike as its hot but fine where it is....never think about it here but do in Aus with the KLR...and always hot but more I'm on dirt a lot.

Lovely ride backroads to OH 26 ...was a bit dubious first 20 miles on the north end about road conditions another rider reported - was navigable but not a lot of fun ....

got much better the second part of the ride - then stopped to find a restaurant and got directed along 260 which was really nice.

Now parked along the Ohio river next to a ferry

and getting lunch complete with Hank's Gourmet Root Beer from Philadephia Recipe :D
A VERY fine burger too.

I think the camera likes the Root Beer best ...

Back at base after a good riding day tho it started a bit late..
zoom zoom helped

...getting hot out...just nudging 83 but fine on the bike. Sunny, some clouds -zilch wind.

My kid would get in SOOO much trouble down here
think PA 144 but just about everywhere - some just begging for more speed than I’m willing to push - almost no gravel - pretty close to zero cars.
You could loop roads in this area from various directions and have a hoot.

Most with excellent pavement - elevation changes and a varierty of corners from fast sweepers to tight and techical
Glad I had the CBF - much lighter and far better brakes than the VSTROM.

Saw some deer - he was a beaut ....wide angle lens sucks ...will ride with the long lens tomorrow. Rare they stop long enough to get a shot at all.

...flock of largish turkeys. I'll get out earlier tomorrow with the longer lens and dawdle along

Might take the bags off tomorrow and push the envelope a bit on 555

hands won’t be as sore as they were this morning

·
Registered
14,012 Posts
Well from the content of the pictures you know what it's like to be a FUNGI!

I put a wide foot on the side stand. Been there done that with augering into the soft stuff.
As far as Ohio goes, I've only seen a bit of Western Ohio near Lima. I'd love too see more. I passed on a chance to see Ruggles Oh and Ruggle Beach on the lake.
I don't think they'd throw a parade for a prodigal son showing up unannounced!
Wife's family is from Salem Oh. Unfortunately the industrial barron wealth didn't make it down this far. Wah!
I loved seeing farm stuff we don't have in the West, like big white round barns. Too Hip!

·
Super Moderator
16,718 Posts
Well from the content of the pictures you know what it's like to be a FUNGI!

I put a wide foot on the side stand. Been there done that with augering into the soft stuff.
As far as Ohio goes, I've only seen a bit of Western Ohio near Lima. I'd love too see more. I passed on a chance to see Ruggles Oh and Ruggle Beach on the lake.
I don't think they'd throw a parade for a prodigal son showing up unannounced!
Wife's family is from Salem Oh. Unfortunately the industrial barron wealth didn't make it down this far. Wah!
I loved seeing farm stuff we don't have in the West, like big white round barns. Too Hip!
Some great roads and riding in OHIO, very technical and twisty too. East, NE, South, SE Ohio is where the best riding is bar none........we are also the largest Amish and Mennonite population in the country. :fineprint:

·
Registered
14,012 Posts
"we are also the largest Amish and Mennonite population in the country. "

I noticed the presence of the wagons, urchin like children and lots of slippery Horse excrement.
They do live a different life style. A bit closer to the earth than most urbanites. Not that I don't enjoy sitting in the dirt on occasion.:grin2:

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
I love Amish food ...there is a big community near by in St. Jacobs Ont and I always make it a point to wave at the horse drawn vehicles - get smiles and waves back.

Organized luddites but keeping some important farm traditions alive.

Too hot and humid even at noon today . Did 555 ....some sections very nice tho the gotcha's are annoying ....one terrified fawn a first took off parallel to the bike and did a prettyt decent job of matching speed then thought better of it and veered off into the field instead of across the road

Have to say I liked Southern 26 and also all of 260 better, 555 can't be trusted.

Recouping at a Starbucks in Athens....culture shock value very high going from rural - we are out of premium gas - the only restaurant is closed on Mondays .......to shopping mall and flat white. :rolleyes:

Was way too long to get here as a closed road turned an 8 minute ride to a 25 minute one...I did say it was hot.

Catch up on work and cool down completely then sort an interesting route back to base,

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought that 555 was in fairly poor shape the last I was on it - a lot of poorly done patchwork

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
Do 78 and few others instead ....there are portions of 555 that are good ...

Felt better after the break - looping to get past a closed road was seriously annoying when I was hot and hungry - being 8 miles away initially and taking a circuitous route to get there I was growling.

Refreshed and after a false start up a rather perilous flood relief route 78 turned into a lot of fun - superb pavement - it's an Ohio Byway and very much worth the ride - better than 555 in my view....begs for speed.

Ohio State Route 78 | Ohio Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com

I did the section that crosses 555

Link for rt 78. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_State_Route_78
State Route 78 (SR 78) is a state highway that runs for 105 miles (169 km) from Nelsonville to Clarington in the U.S. state of Ohio. Car and Driver has called it one of the most scenic highways nationwide.[2] The stretch of this highway that runs along the south side of Burr Oak State Park in Morgan County, Ohio, is well known for its extreme curves and views, and is sometimes locally referred to as the "Rim of the World." Much of this highway runs through old coal-producing areas
West of 77 to 555 is a great ride. McConnelsville has a great place to eat ( Wing Slingers ) and some of the best looking women in Ohio. This whole ride is a higher speed ride with alot of sweepers.
And some really smooth tighter curves that drop away without the gotchas of 555. Fun and relaxing and some challenge a speed - reliable road surface encourages pushing it.

Low traffic.

Another that swings off 78 is 83 and brand new very grippy smooth pavement that puts you on rails,

I'd love to do 78 end to end but I suggest the section that crosses 555 is likely best.

New Concord to Millersburg via SR 83 | Ohio Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com

THIS ...however is a bit over the top in title and they are not all gentle winding turns by any means. So titlat overstaes and descriptin understates how good this some of this road is

. Tail of the Dragon

Stretching for 20 miles along State Route 78, the Tail of the Dragon offers a spectacular ride between the rural farm towns of Glouster and McConnelsville in southeastern Ohio. Riders can enjoy views of century-old farm homes, gentle, winding turns, and a variety of elevation changes. Both Burr Oak State Park and Wayne National Forest are located along this route, so be sure to keep your eyes open for native wildlife.
Saw a delightful pair of fawns in the afternoon...not much else.

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
I had planned on taking a day off in the next few weeks to hit 555 from start to finish. I may have to reconsider.
You can't miss in this section .. some like 83 did not even make mention on this map.

·
Super Moderator
16,718 Posts
Yup.....78 and 83 are 2 of my favorites, can get into such a nice rhythm and the pavement is in really good grippy condition. We ride many of these roads you have been on during my Labor Day rally, they always surprise those from out of state or the states. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts