StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just moved to the Ypsi/Ann Arbor area from WA... severely disappointed with the riding around here... where are the damn corners? :thumbdown:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Is northeast Michigan close enough? :fineprint:

I am in Atlanta (between Gaylord and Alpena). Just bought my Vstrom last week. If you flat landers get up this way, let me know, maybe we can hook up for a ride.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
I just moved to the Ypsi/Ann Arbor area from WA... severely disappointed with the riding around here... where are the damn corners? :thumbdown:
Jackson / Waterloo Rec area / Stockbridge........it's a maze of good riding roads, with good dirt roading too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ann Arbor area here, Dexter specifically.

Jackson / Waterloo Rec area / Stockbridge........it's a maze of good riding roads, with good dirt roading too.
+1 to this.

North Territorial, Hankerd Rd (off of N. Territorial), Highway D32 and Dexter Trail are my usual haunts. Lots of trees and many curves.

Ride through Hell and get some mediocre food at the Dam Site Inn.

Chuck

·
Registered
55 Posts
fife lake area... bought mine in Gaylord.....from my house to town there are 11 35 mph turns in the first 5 miles along with the hills and awesome scenery! I rode to Atlanta this summer through the back way and that was some nice riding!

·
Registered
220 Posts
fife lake area... bought mine in Gaylord.....from my house to town there are 11 35 mph turns in the first 5 miles along with the hills and awesome scenery! I rode to Atlanta this summer through the back way and that was some nice riding!
Sigh... I miss real corners

·
Registered
27 Posts
Morenci - All farm country riding in this area. Pretty, but not many corners and lots of gravel at intersections.

I went to Petoskey this summer, taking two lane roads most of the way. Petoskey to Traverse City was a nice ride.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sigh... I miss real corners
You're right. Sorry you are, but it's like go to the corner and turn right around here. Up north is somewhat better, that is if you run gravel roads. That's why I trailer a few bikes south to the Appalachian Mountains and get lost for a week at a time!

·
Registered
220 Posts
You're right. Sorry you are, but it's like go to the corner and turn right around here. Up north is somewhat better, that is if you run gravel roads. That's why I trailer a few bikes south to the Appalachian Mountains and get lost for a week at a time!
What is this "trailer" you speak of? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm just outside of Detroit. Lots of twisties here when you're dodging potholes on Woodward.

Otherwise, like JokerMTB said, the Waterloo / Pinckney areas are a fun ride. I also head out towards Holly from time to time to get away from the straights. For a quick fix, highway on ramps can remind you of what a lean feels like. :biggrinjester:

Also, Hines Drive is twisty, but not all that great provided the slow speed limit. In Ann Arbor, turning West off of 23, onto East Huron River Drive is kinda nice. I'll occasionally fit those two together for a slightly longer ride with the lady.

Out towards Rochester, Orion Road can be kinda a nice change of pace. Once out by Lake Orion, look for the lakes. They're the saving grace for Jefferson's mile grid structures. :)

So in short, go west or north!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Jst got mine in march, Swartz Creek, been riding for 20 years and all of my previous bikes are smaller. 1000cc and this thing loves to go fast. Today I start north of pontiac and headed to andersonville, south of holly, throught fenton and on to home. A very nice ride.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm in Royal Oak. Have a 07 DL1000. I've been on Huron River Drive near Ann Arbor and out and through the Irish Hills. I really enjoy M22 north from Franfort though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New Vstrom from Toledo

I have been riding Dual Sport but just picked up a Vstrom to do some back roads. Great Lakes Dual Sporters has a two day adventure ride coming up the first weekend in May out of Manitou Beach, MI area. Very well organized and great group of folks. They have 4-5 routes on GPS or roll chart. Check it out at GLDS.org.
Let me know if your interested, can introduce you to the crowd.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm in Ann Arbor, too. Don't know any other Strommers out this way. One riding group I'm kind of a part of (I go on some of their rides, but not a lot) are more sport bike kind of guys. As a previous poster said, there are some pretty decent rides west and south of AA area (Waterloo Rec area, Irish Hills). If anyone is interested, maybe we could set something up when things warm up a bit.

Keith

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have been riding Dual Sport but just picked up a Vstrom to do some back roads. Great Lakes Dual Sporters has a two day adventure ride coming up the first weekend in May out of Manitou Beach, MI area. Very well organized and great group of folks. They have 4-5 routes on GPS or roll chart. Check it out at GLDS.org.
Let me know if your interested, can introduce you to the crowd.
I'm in Ann Arbor, but my wife's family is in Adrian, MI, so I'm familiar with the area and would be interested. The web URL you listed is taking me to a Spanish real estate company or something?

Keith

1 - 20 of 35 Posts